Advice needed on Karve

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by harthacanut, May 9, 2019.

1. harthacanut

harthacanut New Member

Hi all, my first post here :)

Been wet shaving for 2 years with a 34C. I've decided it's time to expand my horizons a little and want to purchase a Karve, but I'm having a hard time picking a plate. A lot of people on the forums buy C and D plates and I was about to order one from westcoastshaving with a C plate, but now I'm thinking maybe I should get an A or B. I use sharp blades in my mild 34C (Polsilver, Rubie, and Silver Blue, mostly) and that combination of sharp blade and mild razor has worked out really well for me. I was wondering if anyone here as field tested the A or B plates against a C plate and could weigh in on whether the A or B plates are "efficient enough". Basically, I would like to get a Karve that has a similar aggression level to my 34 C, or maybe one smaaaaal step up in aggression.

Secondarily, I read that a stainless version would become available soon. I was wondering if people who have the brass Karve are fully happy with the brass or think it'd be better to wait for the stainless.

Regards,
    Gareth

Terry, Frijolero and brit like this.
  2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Gareth, I have the Karve with B, C, D-OC and E. I cannot compare to the 34C because I do not own one. I seem to gravitate toward the C solid bar and the D open comb. I would not want to go below the C plate. The solid bar seems to be a little smoother in my view. The E plate is a notch above the 6 plate on Rockwell. Clint @clint64 has had more experience with the Karve than I have and I am sure he will chime in when he has a chance. I am completely happy with the brass. I have always liked solid brass. If I was looking at stainless I would probably look at the Rockwell. It will be intersting to see what price point a stainless steel Karve will be at when and if it comes to market. Take care.

Frijolero, brit and BigMark83 like this.
  3. Timbo2

Timbo2 Member

Gareth. I feel the C plate is closest to the 34C. I have both.
    The stainless steel will be around $200 canadian. He's thinking of two models. One like the present design, and another where the tabs are rather closed. Karve is very active on instagram at Karve shaving.

brit and Hembree like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Blah... get a OLD and be done with it.

Terry likes this.
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I got the F plates. You can always ‘ride the cap’ to make the shave more mild.

Terry likes this.
  6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

A Karve is a wonderful looker.
    Might you find a cheaper razor that might give you a feel for the more "agressive" types. There are many on ebay that might
    give you an ideal.
    tp

brit likes this.