New to Straights

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DentonMajik, May 19, 2019.

1. DentonMajik

DentonMajik Well-Known Member

I'm sure this has probably been answered somewhere on this forum. I have 2 straights that are not shave ready. Could you please recommend a reputable place to have these made shave ready. Curious also with what you think would be a good price to pay for this service. Also, in the future I would like to look into getting a strop and also sharpening stones. Really have no clue as to where to start. Thank You.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2. mayer57619

mayer57619 Well-Known Member

I am currently in the same situation. I am in need of supplies to.maintain straights as I acquired a bunch yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

brit and DentonMajik like this.
  3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

There are many folks around here that are competent and reliable, but I have always used @gssixgun for my straight needs.

http://www.gemstarcustoms.com/

4. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Send them off to Doc226, he is an excellent honemeister! He has done several sets of custom scales and at least a dozen hone jobs for me. He has a website Doc226.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Been with the Dark Side for about a year.

Glen @gssixgun sold me my first razor and recommended an Illinois 127 strop. It gave me great start. You can't go wrong if he does your edges IMO.

You can maintain a long time with a pasted balsa wood strop(s). Chef Knives to Go is a good source that puts a magnet on one side and supplies them in a sized plastic zip lock bag (economy leather hanging strops too). Herold (the German Strop people) sell a red and black paste combo pack.

I got a bunch of stones I really didn't need. I DO like my Naniwa 12k Super Stone (also at CKTG).

I'm sure other honing recommendations are good too.

6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011:

7. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Glen @gssixgun is a great resource for honing and also advice. He's done a few of mine and always gets a great edge. He also guarantees his work. I would recommend you show some good pictures of your new acquisitions before sending them off anywhere, because if they aren't salvageable, you can find out before spending any money on postage.

8. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

:signs011:

Edison Carter, Billyfergie and brit like this.
  9. SammieM

SammieM Well-Known Member

I use lapping film to hone mine. You get a very sharp edge, ut some people think it is a bit harsh. It is a good way of getting into honing. The initial set up is cheaper than acquiring bunch of stones at one go. I finish them on diamond pasted balsa. It works for me... Good luck!

10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, to the Dark Side of shaving. Whatever you use, just stick with it, until you are proficient. Then, move on, to the next technique, until proficient.

brit, Edison Carter and SammieM like this.
  11. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Welcome, you already received good advice so I won't complicated things. Just enjoy the process.

brit and Edison Carter like this.
  12. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Films are an effective and economical way to hone.

Trigger and SammieM like this.