New 1/2 DE/SE from RazoRock

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Linuxguile, May 22, 2019.

1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Joe from IB posted this prototype 1/2 DE /SE razor head on Instagram and Twitter. Very interesting idea!

[​IMG]

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Thanks for sharing....I like it.

Edison Carter and Linuxguile like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Placement of the interior pins looks like a solid lock on a 1/2 DE blade. The stud and slight angle of the guard bar appears to give a DE style blade presentation, rather than Schick SE angled.

Any photos of it assembled with a handle? Light weight aluminum from the tool marks on the interior. Think there will be options for brass or titanium?

Edison Carter, Hembree and Linuxguile like this.
  4. Linuxguile

Nothing else really besides the pic. And a statement new prototype in testing. Looks like a miniature version of the Hawk head.

RyX, Edison Carter and Hembree like this.
  5. Jesseix

Jesseix Active Member

That was my thought too

Edison Carter, Linuxguile and Hembree like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Looks alot like the starling.

Linuxguile, Hembree and Edison Carter like this.
  7. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I wonder about blade flex? And how it will compare to a single edge razor with a thicker blade.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

RyX and Hembree like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I use half DE shavettes. Blade flex is no biggie. It will not be like a real SE shave. The more I think about it the sillier it becomes.

9. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

How do you safely break a DE blade in half to use in this type of razor?

Hembree and Linuxguile like this.
  10. Linuxguile

With it still in the wrapper you can bend it in half and it will break or use some stout scissors to cut the tab in the middle.

brit, Hembree and Primotenore like this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    They cut very easily.

Hembree and Linuxguile like this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Looks like an textbook example of throwing excrement against a wall and seeing what sticks. There is no advantage to this design unless you buy razors strictly for looks and even then you have to go through the extra steps to cut the blade in half to get the same shave you can get with any DE that has a close to same head geometry. At least a DE shavette brings something different to the table shave wise which in turn at least works as a justification for snapping blades in half. There isn't even a price point that would sway me personally since I can get a DE I don't need to snap blades in half for a $1.

edit:
    I have take back the half blade thing since not being familiar with shavettes that there are half blades made for them by Derby which should work with this design. So I modify my statement only in the case you like Derbys or any other shavette style blade or are looking for a safety style razor to go along with your shavette, else the snapping blades thing still applies

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    brit, Frijolero and Primotenore like this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Maybe they're trying to build a better mouse trap...:signs002:

brit and Hembree like this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Or maybe this is an example of I-phone innovation like moving the speaking jack on the phone to sell a new model that is not really new when all is said and done.

brit and Hembree like this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Not sure it's better then anything though. Well except cart garbage. Like that plastic looking whatcha call it. A solution looking for a problem.

brit likes this.