The optimal length for a brush handle

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Vlasta, May 19, 2019.

?

Optimal length for a shave brush handle

1. 0-39mm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 40-59mm

36.4%
  3. 60-89mm

59.1%
  4. 90mm or above

4.5%
  1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Please vote.

brit likes this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

From my early experience, my preference is generally for long handles. An Omega Pro #10098 at 80mm fits me well. A couple of Rubberset 400 replicas also fall in this range with similar profiles but a little more heft as compared to the cheap, but functional & durable plastic of the Omega.

I do have large hands needing large or extra large gloves.

brit and Vlasta like this.
  3. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Please vote Rick!!

brit and RyX like this.
  4. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

It seems and feels as though the ideal length is determined by the application(home or travel), lathering practice(bowl/face/palm/mug), knot type, knot size, and hand size.
    My knot sizes range from 14mm to 26mm.
    My handle lengths range from 30mm to 80mm.
    The good news is you now have reasons to have a wide variety of brushes!
    I’d vote for the first 3 options, but would pass on a handle that was 90mm, unless...

brit, Enrico and Vlasta like this.
  5. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Unless?

brit likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I did Steve! 60-89mm :cool:

brit likes this.
  7. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

L
    I just hate saying never

brit likes this.
  8. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

Razorock Bruce is the best feeling handle I've used, and that comes in around 50mm

brit likes this.
  9. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

When I make a brush handle the length is determined by the materials used in the handle and the overall look I'm going for.

I like the bead/cove design like this one. I find it easy to grip and they can be pretty short.
    [​IMG]

When I have a design that would benefit from NOT being broken up visually into a bead and cove, they tend to become a long handle like this...
    [​IMG]
    Gentle curves and longer. Both of these are a 26mm knot. I prefer the short design above.

brit, RyX and Rev579 like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

That profile serves me well. The shape fits my hand and gives places for fingers to grip when lather drips down. It's a great variation on the classic barber's brush.
    three synths.gif L to R; B-400 by @twhite , 30 DCLE by @jtspartan , #130 by @Jayaruh .
    Knots - From APShaveCo/Etsy - Tuxedo & Cashmere, and Maggard Sunrise.

Rhody, KUSTOM, brit and 1 other person like this.
  11. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I like brushes of all sizes, but my favorites are brushes with barbershop style handles. So I'm going to go with 60mm-89mm.

brit and RyX like this.
  12. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I voted in the 60-89 box but my preference is 80-95.

13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Nice brushes. My favorite ones are those made by fellow members. I also have a B-400, and a JR#262. I also have a RazoRock 400. All fantastic brush handles.

KUSTOM, brit and RyX like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Yup! I see Jack @Sparrow has a PIF going. It's made from Japanese Chestnut. I sent him some Louisiana bald cypress (along with Jason & Jim) and he gifted me with a hand carved one of a kind brush.

Got a couple of Steve's @Vlasta pieces, too. His T-400 is a beautiful redeaux of the R-400, and The King handle is a solid well turned hunk of gorgeous. I haven't splurged for a Chubberset, yet.

brit likes this.
  15. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

I need more interest before I draw the winner of this PIF. Come on over and sign up for a cool brush! All welcome!

brit and RyX like this.