May 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 29, 2019.

?

What kind of MAYhem do you plan this year?

1. I'm new and just want to watch the rest of the idiots be idiots!

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. I'm a regular but I just want to watch the rest of the idiots be idiots!

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. I'm an idiot! I'm going to do stuff that will win a Shavey Award!

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. I'm only a sometimes idiot - so might be daring, might not.

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  5. I'm going to get me some cookies, donuts, and ice cream to make it even more fun to watch idiots!

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  6. I'm just gonna shave. And learn how to do it better. And enjoy it more. <Mic Drop>

18 vote(s)
    47.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Thanks Joe.

Trigger, Linuxguile, brit and 2 others like this.
  2. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I don't know if the minichloroxians have anything to do with it.

I have not used another shavette, but that one seems reluctant to bite. I have 2 maybe I could entice Chris @Bama Samurai to let me Sent him one for his opinion when one considers his experience.

I do love it though.

Trigger, Linuxguile, brit and 6 others like this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Epic!

Joseph, it is not as scary as it sounds. I have never cut myself on this pass. Use you free hand to hold the tip of the razors then instead of moving you hands move your head, you will definitely stop before lopping off your nose. To go ATG I need a sharp edge.

My tastes have also changed since I strarted.

And Arizona but sadly not in Seoul.

When encountering storms of irrationality I find that is the best strategy, it works for me.

Amen to that, it is why I enjoy travel.

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

My wife is from India so we have a lot of Indian and Thai food on a regular basis.

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    What are some of your taste "changes"?

Trigger, 9nein9, Linuxguile and 5 others like this.
  6. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Straightened up and organized the soap when I got in from work. I ordered 12 blue plastic jars from Amazon and made labels. The jars are also available in an amber color. The jars are a little smaller than the Stirling containers but larger than the WTP containers. Pictures of the shelves after getting them stacked. The containers are 1 5/8 tall. It ain't much but its my corner of the world. There is shelf below these but I did not get a picture of it. It is where I lay some of my razors out.
    20190523_183604.jpg 20190523_184452.jpg 20190523_184413.jpg

7. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Excellent, Danny!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RyX, Trigger, Linuxguile and 2 others like this.
  8. Hembree

Thanks Jim. Someone posted a picture of their shelves a few days ago and they looks so nice it made me want to get mine better organized. I cannot remember who it was now. Take care.

RyX, Trigger, Linuxguile and 4 others like this.
  9. Keithmax

I now prefer larger and longer handles for my brushes. I did not like boars at first but now a broken in Omega Pro knot is one of my favorites.

When I started I used mild and middle of the road DEs, now with all due respect to Fuzzy I cannot abide with them, I only use aggressive safety razors.

Preshave oils, I used them in the beginning and now they are completely gone from my shaves. I use Nivea or Proraso preshshave. If I use Nivea I apply before my shower so most of it washes off.

Early on in my SR journey, it was 5/8 and 6/8 full hollows. I think I only have one 5/8 razor left, I favor bigger blades and heavier grinds. I find it very hard to fine tune my angle with a light blade.

Like you, I am now focused on settling down on just the best soaps, I used to chase every new 'greatest' soap. Now I only try new ones after seeing people I trust use them over time. While I am trying a few new ones these are the ones that have a permanent place in my den, Tabac, AoS tallow + AoS Cream, Castle Forbes, Fine hard soap. Some are auditioning now but I also like to keep one British cream in the den.

10. Keithmax

Friday Shave

The is probably the easiest to handle and control of all my straights. It is a minimalist PRC western grind kami. Everything was wonderful resulting in a very enjoyable shave.

Irritation A+ Closeness A Smoothness A+ Sharpness A+

Razor: PRC Western grind kami
    Strop: Roo
    Brush: EDBIO Romero
    Pre: Proraso
    Soap: Blood on Steel
    AS: Blood on Steel AS, Stirling ASB
    Scent: A Taste of Heaven

IMG_6662 (1).jpg

11. Hembree

Nice shave Keith. Love the razor.

Keithmax, RyX, Trigger and 3 others like this.
  12. Hembree

Keith I have a question since you mentioned Fine soaps. I tend to be leaning toward milled soaps lately and Clint was nice enough to PIF me a couple of Fine soaps. I have used the L'Orange and love the scent and the performance. I may be wrong but I think you have used Snake Bite. If you have what is your thoughts and if you have not please excuse me for getting things crossed up in my mind.

jtspartan, Keithmax, RyX and 6 others like this.
  13. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Wow, Keith! Beautiful brush and cool razor!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Keithmax, Trigger, Linuxguile and 2 others like this.
  14. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Hey all!
    Not having the time to read/post most things...
    I have been lurking around when time is avalible.
    Here is what's happing at my den.

Bill ( @Edison Carter ) told me about this
    plastic doodad called a Focus R21 shavette. Well wanting to go open blade I ordered one that day.
    Been using it for the first and second pass on the old mug then use the PAA slant to finish and the head. I don't get a great shave, the chin is hard to clean up, the shoulder is bugging me, but it's getting better.
    20190523_210206.jpg

Well we will se how it ends.
    So far,so good!
    enjoy
    tp

15. Hembree

Great to hear from you and hope the shoulder gets better. Do you like the shavette?

Keithmax, RyX, Edison Carter and 5 others like this.
  16. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Welcome back, Terry!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

17. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

YES!
    It's sharper than I can get my straights using feather blades. So it has no pulling so long as I use a new blade every time I use it. It seems to be easier to control than the other shavette I have, so far no cuts or burn.
    I like it.
    But remember, on a scale from 1 to 10 on
    experience using open blades, I am at a -3 or -4.
    tp

jtspartan, Keithmax, RyX and 8 others like this.
  18. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Hey Jim!
    tp

Trigger, Linuxguile, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great shave and photo Terry. Take care.

RyX, Edison Carter, Trigger and 5 others like this.
  20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    This could be an interesting, stand-alone thread. (Probably has been).
    I was obsessed with every LE soap, LE brush. I also went through a period when I was vintage Gillette crazy. I had 25-30 top-quality (no user-grade) razors. 95% sold. Yes, I have now acquired 10 straight razors, and that's at least 3 too many. A couple of low-end ones, I can hone my honing skills.
    I have ridded my den of all boar brushes, except my Rubberset. No more Manchurian hair brushes. Over-priced and not my taste. Soaps, Oy Veh. I had them all. I have gone through literally hundreds of soaps. Many of them really great soaps, but the sheer volume was obscene. Today, I eradicated my Rooneys. I am down to 6 Simpsons and 4 M&F (Sabini) + one DG B5 which I really don't need either.
    My changes are more "purge-related" rather than real change of taste, although my tastes have definitely refined.
    Currently, I am down :happy097: to 37 soaps (not including back-ups)
    14 brushes
    15 razors
    58 AS/Edt/EdP etc. :scared003:
    Believe you me, this is a YUUUUUGE reduction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.