Oldest wet shaving forums

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Alex7, Feb 22, 2019.

1. brit

brit in a box

i love my 30s to 60s gillettes Patrick.. i could never bin them..but i don't agree with a faceless corporation judging others on how to live their lives..

Keithmax and 9nein9 like this.
  2. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I actually see it a little differently. I don't care what a faceless corporation says in an advertisement unless it is truly aimed at me personally. Which will never happen since I'm insignificant. So, no advertisement that talks about men generally and how some have what they call "toxic masculinity" will ever threaten me since there is no way they are going to make me question my own masculinity. I'm very comfortable with that thank you very much. I like vintage Gillettes. I also happen to really like GSBs. Currently my favorite blades. I don't care if they are made by Gillette or some schmo down the street. They just work the best on my face in my favorite razors. No way am I going to give up what works for me over such a silly thing........an advertisement that isn't directed at me. I use a Mach 3 only when traveling and carrying on bags. And I have so many extra carts that I'll never need any for the rest of my life. Ok. I've said my peace. Shave on.

3. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Everyone has their own take on their ads , and I do respect that. I for one am never giving them a penny of mine as I've discovered much better products that work for me from non confrontational sellers. I feel bad for the youth whom are being marketed to. If carts were better I'd still be using them. At 4 bucks each for maybe 2 shaves...no thank you.

4. brit

brit in a box

i agree. i love the products, just not the politics..:)

5. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

As a member of B&B that has been banned :ban: at least five times, it still serves it uses. The most frustrating thing is the constant churn, newbies posting the same threads, or posting that they will never use a Gillette product again whilst their favorite blade is an Astra. The evangelical that DE = Wet shaving. Some mods are have been great, and it's a shame they retire whilst other mods are :angry019:...

At least you can post third party links which you can't do at ....

Tedolph, Frijolero, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I tried to get into a few other forums about a month ago, just to get some pictures of stuff I wanted to hunt the web for. I got that my email address is a spammer on one, I was using a banned IP adress on another, still waiting for aproval on the last one. After 3 weeks I don't think that's gonna happen. So IMO other forums are either going a slow death or they are trying to be a exclusice club so to speak. Not sure what't going on but it seems kinda self defeating to me, unless they are done with it all.
    Spammer, really???
    Oh well..so here I am.
    tp

9nein9, Frijolero, brit and 2 others like this.
  7. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

I don't really have an issue with B&B since I put a few people on my ignore list but I like this place partly because I can Like posts

PLANofMAN, 9nein9, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Feel free to drop in across the street sometime. Catch up on the world of SE and Injectors.

9. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

They have some cool old SE's on tost

9nein9 likes this.
  10. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks!
    I have a few (12 or so...) in the draw just waiting to be next in line. I have so many different razors its hard to get to them. I still want t focus of "gental" razors after I get the plastic dooddad under control.
    If I use a different razor every day, it will take over 3 months, only going into the second year, I've learned a lot from this place. But no issues shaving any more. Wish I had done this years ago!
    But, who knew???

tp

9nein9, Frijolero and wchnu like this.
  11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

No you didn't.....I'll wager Bill Shakespeare or Ben Franklin wrote that. (chuk yuk.).

brit likes this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

As near as I can tell the Shadow has known for some time...

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup. We do try.

Killerflyingbugs, 9nein9 and brit like this.
  14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

In all fairness, it was not necessarily the whole of Gillette that was behind the misandrist ad. If Gillette were to follow that up with more anti-male political correctness ads, then yeah, I would say it is time to give them some feedback. That is why we have email.

https://gillette.com/en-us/contact-us

Foregoing Gillette products or not is, of course, up to the individual. My take is why would I blame the fine folks in St. Petersburg, Russia for something stupid the P&G North American Group President did?

brit and 9nein9 like this.
  15. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I have emailed Jillette with my displeasure. No reply. My comments were erased off their ad video, and website. P&G knew the kneejerk reaction this ad would cause but I don't think they realized the magnitude of how many people would take offence. I'm oldschool, and any thing I learned about being a man came from role models in my life , not some greedy dollar sucking company. We dont need them to tell us how to behave as men.
    I have used GSBs and 7oclock black blades but prefer other Russian made blades . Either way if the blades were the best in the world I wouldn't give P&G my money. Thats just my take on the whole thing.

Tedolph, Keithmax, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  16. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Man, that's fascist! It looks like Gillette took a page from the Badger & Blade and The Shave Nook playbooks. Apparently, censorship is now politically correct. And those ads are about politics, not shaving.

P&G's little PC exercise appears to be a pet project of Carolyn Tastad, Proctor & Gamble's North American group president. If she wants to retain her customer base, she should keep her personal political views to herself. Just as certain forums have been very divisive, so too has Ms. Tastad's preaching. She seems to think all masculinity is toxic, and obviously does not understand men at all. Worse yet, she does not seem to realize that her preaching itself is creating toxicity. Injecting such political divisions, be it national politics or forum office politics, into a user base is very detrimental. Proof? Just look at the comments about Gillette and Badger & Blade in this thread. Complaints about the two are essentially the same thing, and are mirrored in many other places besides this forum.

So how does all this tie into which wetshaving forums are the oldest? New forums hived off from the original forums, and even newer forums hived off from those. In a few cases, the partings were amicable, but for the most part it was the result of anger and bitter feuds. The result is an wetshaving forum scene that has long been riven with conflict. For a business concern to attempt to duplicate that division is foolhardy at best. Besides, it is not where we came from that is important, it is where we are now and where we are heading in the future.

Not everyone had role models like you did. To give them idiocy as a substitute does them a great disservice. That is one reason why websites like The Art of Manliness are flourishing. Men who had no proper role models growing up are starting to realize that, and are filling the gaps. That is greatly to their credit.

Just my 2 cents. I think I am done with forums and political correctness for awhile.

Tedolph, brit, Keithmax and 1 other person like this.
  17. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

I'm also a member of B&B. I have a low profile attitude and I'm non-confrontational so I have not problems over there. I like to post and have used their BST to get some pretty good gear. I'm also on a few other forums, but to be honest, this is the one I enjoy the most. Sometimes the "high & mighty" attitudes over there can get to be a little overbearing. Over here, we know that every aspect of shaving is YMMV so we have gentlemanly respect for each other opinions. Over there, not so much. The people over here are just nicer folks all around. I don't think that I have ever seen a "brawl" on this site like I have on the other site.

brit, wchnu and Keithmax like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

a scuffle or 2..:)

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Killerflyingbugs and brit like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

:D