Gillette TTO identification

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by NTR, May 27, 2019.

1. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

Has a Z on the left and a 1 on the right. Non adjustable. Flared at bottom, where you twist. No imprint on cap.

Came in a plastic box, red on the bottom, clear on top.

Patent 2562115. Owned by my father in law’s father. Found in family cabin at Lake George, NY.

Has a Wilkinson blade in it, made in England. Another unopened blade in a white plastic tuck.

Ideas on model and year? And how to clean up? It’s not dirty, but it has little specs of corrosion.

Thanks!

DBEA2D4A-0BD3-4214-988F-80C9B24AF438.jpeg

brit, PatrickA51 and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Gillette Flare Tip (not Flair). Date code Z1 = first quarter of 1954, or 1979. I'm pretty sure the earlier year.

NTR, brit and PatrickA51 like this.
  3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

@RyX
    I have to agree with what he said :happy088::signs011:

NTR, RyX and brit like this.
  4. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

1954 makes more sense to me too, but 70’s is possible I guess. I can’t believe my wife’s grandpa would be buying a new DE in his advanced years. This is a practical family that tends to buy something of decent quality once and use it forever.

Plus, 1954 would def be cooler!

So is the name “Flare Tip”? Or is this also a Tech or some other such thing? And is this a mild to medium aggression razor?

I’d like some cleaning tips so I can take it for a spin.,

RyX and brit like this.
  5. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

0277CE90-CBE0-4E54-972D-78F1931D01DA.jpeg

RyX and brit like this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

As stated above, it's a 1954, Jan- Apr..............

1954 (Z1) first Flare Tip Super-Speed from Leon.jpg

NTR, RyX and brit like this.
  7. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

Yup, that’s it! Thanks!

Now, how can I make mine look like that?

brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  8. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

Another question. If I wanted to plate this razor with Rhodium or rose gold or whatever, where does one do that?

RyX and brit like this.
  9. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

The Wilkinson blade in the razor was made in England. The razor is clearly US.

brit likes this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Unless you are having it done for sentimental or heirloom purposes, redoing the plating would be waste of money on a razor like this. They are plentiful and you can get mint examples to use for $20 or less on ebay or even in antique shops if you scour enough of them.

NTR likes this.
  11. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

It would be purely sentimental, and I appreciate what you’re saying, because I never even met my wife’s grandpa, so probably won’t throw any cash on this one.

RyX and brit like this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Clean and polish it first. You'd be surprised how well they clean up and good they look. Use warm soapy water and a toothbrush then to polish either a metal polish like flitz or use stainless steel sink cleaner like Cameo that you buy in the super market.

ghostlife, NTR and brit like this.
  13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Kinda hard to tell, but it looks like all it needs is a good soaking and cleaning with a toothbrush in Dawn Dish soap. And afterwards a good polish with something like Flitz to bring the shine back.

ghostlife, NTR and brit like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Very cool. I have my Granddads 1957 Super Speed. His does not look as good as that. A little elbow grease and you will be amazed how good it looks probably.

NTR and brit like this.
  15. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

The one I have has an L and a 3.
    On the inside it says patent nos. On pkg

Razor emporium has a list of date codes. From what I can only guess at by the L, mine is from 41 or 66? Where do you knowledgeable gents get most of the information on identifying razors and dates?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    NTR and brit like this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Gillette started date coding blades in 1930 and razors formally in 1951 for stuff made in the US. In 1950 they only stamped razors made in third quarter V 3 and those stampings are considered a test stamping.

Any Gillette razors that say made Pat Nos on Pkg are 50 and up.

NTR and brit like this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That site is s good one. The 41 models were not flair tips. You have a 66 model.

brit and Rob206 like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

It's an all brass razor with a nickel plate. With time and use the plating may wear thin and show the solid metal underneath. Be gentle scrubbing it with an old toothbrush after soaking it in very warm water and Dawn dish soap. If you use a polish make sure it's a mild abrasive since it may polish off the nickle plate. After you get it clean if it's sticky, put a couple drops of mineral oil (or baby oil - same thing with a little scent added.) down the tube, and up from the TTO knob.

I think it was Jim @jimjo1031 posted the photo of "1st year Flare", so it's the Tech razor that replaced the previous Tech. This is the Regular model - medium aggressive. There's also a Blue Tip with a blue knob & aluminum shafted handle - Mild. The other if you want the set is the Red Tip. It's heavier, more aggressive and had a red TTO knob.

The Flare Tip is a great DE, they made millions of em, and they sell fairly cheap. That's a First Year so it's kind of special. Being heirloom - from a family member - adds to the personal value. The cost of having it replated exceeds the retail value of the razor. Not saying don't, but if you check ebay, you'll see many like it for +/- $20.

NTR, jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  19. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

What you have is a "Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed". That model was made from 1954 to 1966 at which point it was replaced by the Black Handle Super Speed that continued in production until 1988.

Flare Tips had several variations from the regular model (what you have) to the milder Blue Tip, more aggressive Red Tip - both made from 1955-60 - and the TV Special made for just 1958.

Over the years they didn't change too much and Gillette made millions of them; they were a very popular razor. The ones made in the 50's had a head with a somewhat higher profile, and in 1958 the tip's retaining screw was replaced by a press fitting. You should be able to find any of them on the usual auction sites. Most are relatively inexpensive with only the Red Tip commanding somewhat higher prices.

Here's a "family" shot...

[​IMG]

Yours should be like the model at the bottom right.

brit, RyX, ghostlife and 2 others like this.
  20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

brit, RyX, ghostlife and 1 other person like this.