Epoxy or hot glue for adhering knot to handle ?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Red Rider, Oct 19, 2017.

?

What do you use and prefer to adhere brush knot to handle.

Poll closed Nov 2, 2017.
  1. Hot Glue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Epoxy 2 part

73.7%
  3. Wood Glue

5.3%
  4. Other ?

21.1%
  1. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I used marine grade epoxy.

Herm

brit likes this.
  2. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

I just did my first re-knots on an Ever Ready 100 and Made Rite 100N, both with Maggards synthetics. Used Gorilla Glue two-part epoxy.

http://www.gorillatough.com/gorilla-epoxy

Pros
    • Strong hold
    • Water resistant
    • Quick cure time
    • Dries crystal clear
    Cons
    • Permanent bond
    • Thin consistency; have to let it set-up a bit before applying
    Would I use Gorilla two-part epoxy again? Yes. The main point, be aware of the consistency of the glue before applying.

3. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I use silicone. What ever brand you get, get 100% silicone. Do not get silicone based caulking compound. The compound is designed to only skin over, and never fully cure where it is not exposed to air. This allows it to move with the walls if needed, but doesn't work well if you shake out a shave brush. I have no issues once I went to 100% silicone, and gave it a day or two to cure.

dangermouse likes this.
  4. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

+1

5. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

What brand do you use and how does it come? In a tube like caulking?

Drygulch likes this.
  6. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

This.

7. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

GE and DAP both make one on a resealable squeeze container, in addition to the big ones for a caulking gun.

8. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I started using hot glue now. Silicone is also good and tight. I am going to use up my current stocks of epoxy and from then on it is hot glue all the way.

Linuxguile and RyX like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Well, that sounds interesting. Have you got much experience with it? It sounds like it would be quick and neat fix, but I wonder how it holds up under real world lathering experiences.

Linuxguile and RyX like this.
  10. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Input my last few knots in with hot glue. Try as I might I cannot pull them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linuxguile, Jayaruh and RyX like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Since you are a Maker of handles, firmly securing knots is a great idea. Don't want them coming out easily. There's a certain expectation of using the unit for years before changing the knot. At the other end of the time line, Restorers of handles may be dealing with vintage and infirm handles that might benefit by using less permanent adhesion methods.

Linuxguile and Jayaruh like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Alright, Steve, I decided to give it a go. I had a brush and knot that I missed setting recently, so I decided to try your hot glue method. It was quick and easy. We shall see how long it lasts. Probably forever.

IMG_0391b.jpg

brit, jtspartan and RyX like this.
  13. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Well it’s been a while... my wife helped me re-find this thread. After many failed knots with hot glue I switched back to epoxy. Hot glue seems great at first and almost impossible to pull out a knot until it has been in the warm, cold, wet, soapy cycle for a few weeks then the glue just fails. I am back on 100% epoxy now. I can see silicone might be an option for some but I am setting my knots for sale to others and I want them in good and tight.

Jim99 likes this.
  14. Redfisher

Silicone caulk works pretty well

15. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    It is tough for sure but I worry about it - during curing it produces acetic acid - that's the smell you get. I wonder if, long term, this will damage the knot or the handle.

16. Redfisher

Once it's cured you wont even know. I've done many this way.

17. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Each to his own. I am an epoxy man through and through now. Once its in - its in forever.

18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Epoxy :happy088:

:shaver

Vlasta likes this.