The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

So, hone it up, and give it a spin.

Keithmax, brit, Edison Carter and 3 others like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Waiting on this Engels Leader Coming from the States..Looks Like a 6/8th to Me & NOS..Its a Minter thats for Sure..:D

:char039:...Now the Big Wait..:rofl:

Billy..:chores016:

3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

B5B28EBD-B11C-4F87-95A6-F96538B3E887.jpeg DB02B9A0-EED3-4024-A3BD-F2D84FA0A388.jpeg B1C967F7-6DA4-4C1C-B445-15B83511F473.jpeg 2A089CD3-FC17-479C-9C41-50C3325C1997.jpeg

My auction luck hasn’t been very good lately, but I did score this nice old French razor box with 4 straights in it. The straights are a nice 5/8 Case, a 5/8 Rudolf Sevic, a 9/16 Champion Cutlery Blue Steel, and a thin shaper, Henry Sears I believe. All 4 razors are usable though the Sears has a good bit of surface rust. The box is what I really wanted, but the Case will probably bring close to what I paid for the lot, so I came out on this one.

The box is what’s interesting, it holds 4 smaller razors and is stamped ‘Louiseau, 25 Place Vendome’. That’s an upscale Parisian neighborhood, and initially I couldn’t find anything about them though a Bvlgari is in that location now. My French friend Sebastien found the answer, Louiseau was a travel goods, barber/hairdresser, and perfumerie. It dates to around 1866.

Keithmax, Primotenore, brit and 5 others like this.
  4. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Looks like you have a good find here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Very nice !

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

6. Billyfergie

[​IMG]

7. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Claaaaaaaassy!

8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Yep, that Engels IS nice!

TestDepth and Billyfergie like this.
  9. Billyfergie

[​IMG]

TestDepth and brit like this.
  10. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Nice Straight Billy Engel's Argo Steel Rocks .Its in the same quality range as Puma and Tiger IMHO . Nice score !

11. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    Och Aye the Noo..Thank You..I Recently Got an Engels TRADE & the Steel is Wunderbar with Best Solingen Steel as You Say..Just Hard to Find NOS or in Mint Condition..NOS Razors are My Thing..:)

Billy..:chores016:

12. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

I love NOS like you .But in most cases it can take years to find a specific model .Not to mention in some cases a wheel barrel of cash . Once in a while I get lucky finding a NOS Razor for a fair price .Last Month I scored a NOS 4/8 Lutz .

Quick question Does the desire for NOS ever decline .I tried to find help for straight razor addiction .But it does not exist .Just enablers on this site .;) Myself included .

13. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

FEA4A686-4FC1-4E2D-87AB-A3A124C8F959.jpeg

Did @Billyfergie say NOS? Well, close. Glen honed this one one time with tape and it’s a very handsome razor in those black scales and the orange box.

14. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

:smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect:
    Very, very nice. [understatement of the year]
    Congrats Steve.

15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thanks Tom and Brit!

Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  16. TestDepth

Thought this was a fun twist... not a Merkur DE but a Merkur straight.
    306D944D-1C00-49A1-B37E-36221953FBC8.jpeg
    I knew they made straights early in their history, but I haven’t see too many, so I jumped on this one. 15/16” at heel and some honing looks to have taken off about 1/32 towards the toe. But overall, I think it is a nice example.
    Happy hunting.
    Tom

Briscoe, SammieM, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  17. SammieM

SammieM Well-Known Member

Just got this 14 Le Grelot today. Can’t wait to test it. Finished on a coticule...

Attached Files:

18. SammieM

I have seen a NOS for sale recently. I am still wondering if I should get it...

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  19. TestDepth

I haven't shaved with it yet, but it seems like your normal high quality Solingen product.
    And you know, no one contributing to this thread will try and stop you.:angelic007:
    Tom

20. SammieM

Hahaha. I hear ya.

Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.