Vintage Aqua Velva.!!

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by The Shaving Zone, May 25, 2019.

1. The Shaving Zone

The Shaving Zone Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree with you dear friend!! Vintage Aqua Velva it has a more sophisticated scent, clean and manly aroma. Pure heaven!!

Yehuda D, BigD and gorgo2 like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yup. I have the four pack gift set from that era (and Skin Bracer's). Not a bum one in the lot.

Yehuda D, BigD and The Shaving Zone like this.
  3. The Shaving Zone

Vintage Skin Bracer is fabulous too... I also have some Skin Bracer from the 70's and 80's Original and Cool spice.

4. The Shaving Zone

Great classics!!!

Yehuda D and BigD like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

May be picking up some vintage locally in the next day or so.

Angelo85 and The Shaving Zone like this.
  6. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

I agree as well. I have a bottle from the 1970’s/80’s as well as a bottle from the 1990s. Both smell way better than the stuff made today.

Yehuda D and The Shaving Zone like this.
  7. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

58FA4324-6657-46A9-AD9E-198D79BBDEAE.jpeg C531EF78-ACAA-4F52-AC72-E3D12535107D.jpeg Here’s 2 pictures of my older vintage bottle of AV Ice Blue.

BigD, brit, Yehuda D and 1 other person like this.
  8. The Shaving Zone

That's a real beauty CONGRATS!! I really love the vintage Aqua Velva and Skin Bracer bottles! Thick glass with a real men's zise and sturdy cap.

Angelo85 likes this.
  9. The Shaving Zone

A very nice find indeed ;)

10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I found this today ... 00F0F_84BHJhCdyea_1200x900.jpg 00Y0Y_fv1x39ZGCnT_1200x900.jpg

Not sure of the year, but it's definitely Aqua Vela! A bit more peppery scent than modern AV.

:eatdrink013:

BigD, Frijolero, brit and 2 others like this.
  11. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

First off most of these were manufactured by Nabisco whom owned Aqua Velva from 1971 to 1983. In 1971 Nabisco bought Williams and Aqua Velva from Pharmaceuticals Inc. whom owned them since 1960. From the time Aqua Velva 'Ice Blue' was formulated near the end of WW2, I don't believe either Pharmaceuticals Inc. or Nabisco changed it. When Nabisco sold it to Beecham in 1983 the company was moved to Pa. and the formula changed shortly there after...

The labeling on the first one is indicative of what Nabisco used between 1971-1978. This time frame also applies to the other two you posted on the 28th and 29th. Although the frosted (28th) one is less common, and I cannot see in the picture the right makings to for sure say it was a Nabisco Aqua Velva.

The second one, that shiny label was used by them between 1979-1983. As has been mentioned there is the Pete Rose reference narrowing it further to 1979...

Same as above applies to your's; That shiny label was used by Nabisco between 1979-1983. Without any other info that's the best that it can be narrowed down.

This one is called the Aqua Velva "Craftsman's Kit" it was issued out by Nabisco around Christmas. It would have come in a nice presentation box, it holds 5 ounces, your tools are out of order (see blow), and you are missing a mini flat head screw driver. You can find listings advertising it in the: Paris, Texas newspaper Friday, December 20, 1974; and San Bernardino County Sun, California Wednesday, December 3, 1975.
    craftsman.PNG

BigD, gorgo2, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  12. The Shaving Zone

Enrico and brit like this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you! :happy108:

The Shaving Zone likes this.
  14. The Shaving Zone

:bounce015:

15. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

53C2988E-7DCA-4708-845D-93B7569B2D9B.jpeg I guess this is going to have to do!

BigD, Primotenore, brit and 3 others like this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

When did the Polar Bear AV come out?

IMG_1326.JPG

:cool:

Yehuda D, brit and The Shaving Zone like this.
  17. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

The holiday season of 1977. It was called the "Iceberg Decanter" there are several newspaper advertisements for it ranging from Pennsylvania to New Mexico, from Nov.-Dec. 1977. Here is a snippet from the Los Alamos Monitor Newspaper Archives, Sunday, December 04, 1977 - Page 6
    iceberg.PNG

BigD, Enrico, Yehuda D and 2 others like this.
  18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Picked this up today. Good price, too.
    Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 21.26.11.png

19. The Shaving Zone

Very nice find my friend!! Congrats and enjoy!!

Primotenore and brit like this.
  20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thanks,
    That and Aramis are the only post-shave products I remember my father using.