SOS June 2019

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by celestino, May 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brit

brit in a box

being dusted..:)

AlfredoT and clint64 like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

that would be cool Tim..look forward to seeing it.i have never seen period examples of tobs soaps..

clint64 likes this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Gillette Fatboy (E4) Razor
    Ladas Super Stainless Blade
    Frank Shaving Boar Brush
    Love My Skin Lemon Sugar & Frankincense & Myrrh Soap
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Avon Wild Country After Shave

Untitled.jpg

alfredus, AlfredoT, Bobcat and 19 others like this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    @AlfredoT
    @Boru62
    So, first of all, my sincere thanks to my friend, John. He is a very well-known and respected member of a few other shave forums. You might know him by his screen name: churchillafemme. He passed on to me the following information regarding this Figaro Sapone Speciale soap

IMG_0528.JPG
    and I quote it here:

"This is the information that was given to me awhile back (I forget from whom) when I bought the P.160 Tipo Duro soap:"
    "This is the very original FIGARO P.160 produced by Elebrel Italiana. Elberel Italiana was acquired in 2004 by Biochimica S.p.A. and renamed Nuova Elberel. They also reformulated their shaving soaps, replacing the tallow with vegetable substitutes for all their retail sizes and slightly reformulating the P.160 with additional addictives and having the name "Figaro" removed from the professional 1kg pack, which was then produced until 2009 and discontinued.
    Prior to 2008, P.160 was an Italian marzipan scented soap, made for the Italian barber market, and rarely sold outside of its native Italy. Like the other soaps made for the Italian barbershops, including Cella, 3P, Vitos and Valobra, it was sold in 1 kg (2.2 lb) packages. Unlike those other soaps, it was sold in two forms, Tipo Duro and Tipo Morbido. The ingredients were identical, but the proportions were different. P160 Tipo Duro was the harder soap, like a block of butter in the fridge. P.160 Tipo Morbido was the softer version, and would sag under its own weight, like cream cheese at room temperature.
    In 2008, P.160 started to be mentioned on the various English speaking shaving forums, usually in comparison to Cella, the more globally recognized brand. It was gaining popularity at a good pace, but hadn't yet gained the mythos it would aquire when, inn the fall of 2009 or 2010, Nuova Elberel Italia S.r.l shut down production of P.160 as was their custom, to allow the employees to go on holiday. They would never resume production of P.160. As the supplies of P.160 dwindled, rumors began to spread about the reasons. But the truth was a bit less romantic, if not completely understandable. To understand, we need to delve into the company's history. Prior to 1997, P.160 wasn't P.160. It was manufactured by Elberel Italiana and called FIGARO. P.160 was just a footnote on the back of the package. Elberel Italiana was acquired in 2004 by Biochimica S.p.A. and renamed Nuova Elberel. They also reformulated their shaving soaps, replacing the tallow with vegetable substitutes for all the retail sizes and slightly reformulated P.160 with additional additives and removed the name "Figaro" from the professional 1 kg package, which was produced until 2009 (some sources say 2010). No one seems to know when the Figaro and P.160 name parted ways, but it was sometime after 1997. The Figaro brand was bought by MilMil76 in 1997 from Elberel, and it could have been then that the retail pack for Figaro (red tub - originally white with red lid) may have changed formulation, as there are suggestions that the soft soap was still produced by Elberel for MilMil76 whilst all other products with the Figaro brand (deodorants, shaving foams, etc) are produced directly by MilMil76. As of 2015, Tcheon Fung Sing is producing Figaro. The consensus is that the scent has been greatly improved, but the actual soap is inferior to the previous manufacturer's version."
    So apparently your soap probably was made by Elebrel Italiana.

This is one of the many reasons, I love this community. :)

Attached Files:

5. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

Thank you Primo.
    Your friend John has some wonderful vintage stuff in his sotd posts.

6. Primotenore

Article Team
    Let's not forget about his collection of Rooney shave brushes...:drool:

7. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

+1

brit and clint64 like this.
  8. Burak Kucukler

Burak Kucukler Well-Known Member

9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Here's how it is for Menthol Monday(10th):

prep-Nivea4Men Bodywash(Energy)in shower
    shave-Barbasol "Century"
    razor-Gillette Sensor Deuce Pivot DisposeABLE
    A.S.-Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue

10. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Thank you Doug.

Boru62, clint64 and brit like this.
  11. Smooth Steve

Thank you Matt.
    Steve

12. Smooth Steve

Outstanding as always Matt.
    Steve

120inna55, clint64 and brit like this.
  13. Primotenore

Article Team
    TommyCarioca, clint64 and brit like this.
  14. Smooth Steve

06/10/19 Shave of the Day
    Face Wash with KenetMD Savon Massage Bar
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements High Jump 47 Conditioning Shampoo Puck (W/ Yucca Root & Cider Vinegar)
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Star Jelly Prickly Pear Pre-Shave Jelly-Mentholated
    Stirling Soap Company Glacial Lemony Orange Small Batch Artisan Menthol Shave Soap
    RazoRock 400 Butterscotch 24 x 57mm Synthetic Noir Plissoft Brush
    Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
    Fatip Piccolo Razor with Gentile Closed Comb Head
    Astra Green Superior Platinum Blade - 5th Shave
    Shavex Alum Block
    Homemade Lemon and Mandarin Infused Witch Hazel with Alum
    Stirling Soap Company Glacial Lemony Orange Menthol Aftershave Splash
    Stirling Soap Company Glacial Unscented Post-Shave Menthol Balm
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Cold Spices Natural Deodorant - New Sport Strength Formula

D IMG_4919.jpg

15. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

That is a fine looking handle on that New!

clint64 and brit like this.
  16. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

MONDAY'S SHAVE

[​IMG]

Perfumed by:
    Alberto Morillas
    [​IMG]

Body Wash - Dolce & Gabbana "Light Blue" Pour Homme
    [​IMG]
    Razor - Stirling Soap's Slant
    Blade - [​IMG] *Fresh Blade
    Shave Brush - Wood Razor's TruStone Turquoise (with 24mm Synthetic Nylon Knot by The Golden Nib)
    Chrome Razor/Brush Stand
    Shave Soap - WSP "Matterhorn"
    Post Shave Toner - Humphreys "Cucumber Melon" Witch Hazel
    Aftershave Balm - Dolce & Gabbana "Light Blue" Pour Homme
    Deodorant - Kiss My Face "Cucumber Green Tea"
    Fragrance - Dolce & Gabbana "Light Blue Eau Intense" Pour Homme

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you. :)

Boru62 likes this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

very cool sir..

Tim Spencer and clint64 like this.
  19. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

First time using the Treet razor. Not bad. 7th on this gem blade, next shave I'm using a new blade to gauge how good or bad the sharpness is on this one. Seemed a bit rough but could have been my angle.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

20. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

SHAVE OF THE DAY
    20190609_133528.jpg

Prep: pre shave soap mix
    Razor: Wilkinson Sticky
    Blade: QBall (1st shave)
    Brush: Maggard Blue & White Synthetic
    Soap: B&M Terror

B&M Terror for todays shave. Interesting soap that has 3 different forms of synthetic menthol cooling agents.

Scent is a woodsy peppermint to my nose with perhaps a silght Lime or tart citrus note, although not sure of the scent notes just going off innitial impressions.

Soap lathered great and much better than any other B&M soap base IMO. Have found B&M to be hit or miss in my experience with them, scents as well as performance. Will is a mad scientist when it comes to scents and am happy to see he finally has a soap base that can properly showcase his tallent. The shave went without problems and the cooling agents were a nice touch without being overpowering (Artique). Finished off with Aqua Velva which paired great!

Hope everyone is in good health and getting the best shaves possible!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.