New In Alabama

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Jpumroy, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Jpumroy

Jpumroy Member

Hey everyone!

I've been browsing forums for years and finally got around to getting involved. Here's a little background on my experience so far.

I started with a Merkur 36C about 7 years ago with Derby blades. I liked the weight and feel of the Murker but found over time that although it gave me a passable shave it was never really enjoyable. Looks like it has a slight uneven blade exposure so I guess that makes sense. I also tried a Dovo shavette, a magic razor and another shavette from MD barber. The shavettes never gave me anything but cuts and burn so I put them in a drawer and forgot about them. About a year ago I switched to a safety razor made by Bevel which has worked quite well. Still not perfect but much easier on my skin than the Merkur ever was.

I finally came across an Art of Shaving (astronomically overpriced) store a few months ago and decided I needed a real straight razor as I have wanted one for years. So I ended up with a real pretty Ralf Aust with a Spanish tip for my birthday. I tried it and felt it was trying to rip the hair out of my face more than cutting. How disappointing. I took another run at it the next day with a better prep and found it a little easier, but still not as pleasurable as I was expecting. I figured maybe I will just keep it and have it as a collectors item and just tuck it away in a bathroom drawer.

While rummaging around said drawer I found two of the old shavettes I still have. I got a wild idea that maybe I should give it a try with a high end DE blade I picked up recently as my technique might have improved to the point I don't suffer......

As it turns out, not all DE blades are created equally. Hands down closest and most comfortable shave I have ever had. I can actually shave daily now without significant razor burn. YMMV, but I can't believe that my $18.00 shavette is the winner. We find gems in strange places I guess.

As far as after shaves go I have always like Captain's Choice but have also found that Pinaud Clubman works just as well at half the price.

Anyway, see you gents around!

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome. Alabama is a great place. I spent some time just outside Enterprise Alabama and loved it, other than the Warrant Officer training. I also went to Talladega, which was awesome.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..

4. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Welcome from Alabama.......... the Heart of Dixie.....but you knew that. Glad to have you aboard. Lot of great folks here. What part of Alabama are you from? I live in Tuscaloosa county.

RyX and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

i thought you guys would be neighbors..:)

RyX and Hembree like this.
  6. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

We may be and if we keep talking we will probably figure out we are kin.

wristwatchb, RyX and brit like this.
  7. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Welcome from West Tennessee..

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

brit and Hembree like this.
  8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Hey Neighbor!:signs046:

brit and Hembree like this.
  9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

Hembree likes this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD @Jpumroy! Glad you signed up. Now we can talk about it.

I'm guessing that top of the line straight razor was sold as "shave ready". Most brand new straights haven't been honed well enough to shave. Maybe open envelopes but your "pulling hairs out" sounds like it needs attention. Good news is the skills you are developing using the shavette will mostly apply to the SR later. One tip that may make your shavette use less damaging; Mute The Tips. Many SR have a round point at the toe unlike your Spanish Tip with a gougy corner. The tips of the DE blades you use can be dulled by gently rounding off the corners using a regular kitchen knife sharpening stone. Just a couple gentle strokes right at the corners will make them less likely to dip and poke when you set the blade to your skin. Those shavettes don't give much much warning when they bite. A well honed SR does have that"uhh, maybe isn't right" feeling.

If you would like some coaching and/or cheerleading, visit The 30 Day Rule / Focus Group. Bunch of New Shavers learning the old skills, and veteran Shavers trying out new gear. We also talk BBQ, family, cars, and the occasional shenanigans. Couple of our regulars ar from or still in Alabama, and I'm Gulf Coast (Louisiana) so you'd be among neighbors.

(Hint about the 30 Day thing - read the first post, then zoom to page 85 or where ever we are. It's a fast paced group of chatty Cathys)

11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD! Also, @RyX makes a great point that your straight may not actually be honed for shaving.

12. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

welcome from Washington state:)

Hembree likes this.
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

I would be my paycheck that you need to get that straight razor honed. The factory edges are generally not sharp enough. I recommend sending it out to a professional for honing and it will make a world of difference. Do you have a strop?

Frijolero and Hembree like this.
  14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Hembree likes this.
  15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @Jpumroy

I hope you enjoy it here. :) Tell me what was the blade that worked for your shavette? Have you ever tried a Slant bar razor, there are many nice and affordable ones out there now. Razor Rock, Merkur, PPA , Maggard, Ikon to name a few. My daily driver these days is an Ikon X3.

Hembree likes this.
  16. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello and welcome!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Hembree likes this.
  17. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Welcome from Alabama! I’m near Birmingham. Glad to have you with us!

Hembree and Linuxguile like this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    High their and welcome to TSD @Jpumroy from North Cackalacky.
    Sounds like you just need to send that straight to a good honemeister. It should cut through hair like a hot knife through warm butter.

hightheir2.gif
    zwelcome2b.jpg

Hembree likes this.
  19. Jpumroy

Jpumroy Member

I've been in the Auburn area a few years now. Haven't made it out to Tuscaloosa yet.

Hembree likes this.
  20. Jpumroy

Jpumroy Member

You'rr right it was sent "shave ready". I got it from Razor Emporium. I reached out to them and the offered honing service at a discount but stated that they don't routinely hone Aust razors before shipping as they usually come well honed. I sent it in for the hone service and have tried it twice since. I think there was a slight improvement but it still causes me more pain than anything. It cuts alright but I just don't think it's quite what I thought it would be.

Hembree and Frijolero like this.