Honing question

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Suhrim21, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

Ok so I have a jnat coti and thuringian. I can get razors shave ready off the coti and jnat. The thurni though I cannot get a shave ready edge. Is there a trick to thurnis that I should be aware of. Basically my edge seems just barely better than the king 6k I have after the thurni. It is lapped and smooth so I know that's not the issue. Currently the only thing I can get a decent edge on with the thurni is my Japanese kitchen knives. They don't need to be as precise as a razor has to be.

I know I'm still learning and on the coti and jnat after stropping it will cut hairs on my arm about halfway up the hair shaft. So I know I still have a ways to go before I can even consider myself proficient in honing razors. But as I see it the best way to learn is to use what you hone. Eventually you will get frustrated with sub par shaves and figure out what you are doing wrong.

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Pics of the razors in question??

Billyfergie and Edison Carter like this.
  3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

What is your progression with the Thuri?

Billyfergie and Edison Carter like this.
  4. Suhrim21

The razors I tried on the thurni I ended up using the coti or jnat. So pics won't help unfortunately. Next razor I hone I will try the thurni again and take pics.

Progression on thurni king 1k/6k then thurni with slurry and keep diluting until clean water.

Billyfergie likes this.
  5. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

We like pictures!
    I also like Japanese kitchen knives, what you got?
    What razor were you having issues with?

I have no experiences with thuri, but I saw where a razor was finished under running water even under water for finer edge , with stones from previously would not previously perform.

Edison Carter and Billyfergie like this.
  6. Suhrim21

I just got a cheap bokashi set of knives. Figured while learning to hone Japanese kitchen knives I should start with a cheaper set. They are vg-10 core so I didn't go so cheap as to have crap steel. I didn't want to get a too notch set and screw them up trying to learn how to hone properly.

I tried an ERN and a George wostenholm ixl or something like that.

I will try using it under running water see if that makes a difference.

7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    The Thuringen ???

Is this a Vintage Labeled stone ?? of one of the newer mined ones available on some of the knife sites???

8. Leclec13

have you checked thuri' against a straight edge?

9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Check its Not a MST Muller So Called Thuri...They have Been Discussed in Many Forums...Some are Around the Mid Grit Stone Mark Apparently...Many have Been Banded about & its Said they are a Hit & Miss Stone that Dont Compare to Vintage Ones..I have Never Used One Myself...;)

There is No Secret to Using a Proper Thuringian in My Experience..They Can Range from 10 K to around 17 K in My Humble Opinion..I Have Two Escher Thuris around 17 K as Easy to Use as Synthetics..In My Hands Anyway..:)

Billy..:chores016:

10. Suhrim21

The stone was given to me by another member of another thread. I was told it was a thurni. Once I figure out how to take pics on my phone that I can upload I will upload some pics of it.

11. Suhrim21

It's definitely not a labeled thurni

12. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

Okay let's take it a step farther

Here is the inherent problem with Naturals, "They are by their very nature, NATURAL" this means that one rock just 10 feet apart from another may or may not have the same characteristics.
    We can delve deeper and talk about inclusions and Toxic layers too
    The person that sent you the Stone is your best source of info, ask him how he was getting the best results.
    I can give you generalities of how I use MY Thuringens but honestly, there is a difference in performance and usage of just my Blue/Green Escher compared to my German Black

But in general, you get to a Shaving Sharp edge then introduce the Thuri to the edge using a light slurry and dilute as you go, some like the Escher likes a little slurry left on as I finish, where my Black needs a clean water finish

I hope that helps and doesn't confuse even more

13. Suhrim21

Here are pics of the stone I was told was a thurni.

20190611_133434_compress65.jpg 20190611_133447_compress66.jpg 20190611_133458_compress59.jpg 20190611_133515_compress84.jpg 20190611_133550_compress86.jpg

14. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Always Hard to Tell with Pics..BUT...That Doesn't Look Like a Finishing Stone to Me..Could be Talkin Crud of Course..:rofl:

Billy..

Edison Carter and Steve56 like this.
  15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thinking the same thing - but with naturals ya never really know until you try.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  16. Suhrim21

To me it definitely does not feel as smooth as the jant. I really would like to figure out exactly what it is and a rough grit level. Anyone very knowledgeable that would let me send it to them to be able to tell me what it is. It would have to be after I get working. Which hopefully will be soon. Second interview with the company is tomorrow.

17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Is the slurry stone made of the same stone? If so, send it to someone with known Thuringen collection and have them look at it.

18. Suhrim21

It is and that is what I was thinking of sending.

19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I think that smoothness does not equal fineness for most naturals, certainly jnats, Arks excepted where smoothness actually is fineness.

20. Leclec13

You could always send the stone to someone to hone on for a second opinion

Edison Carter likes this.