Ikon B1 is probably the best razor you don't own yet

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by NoWeepers, Jun 14, 2019.

1. NoWeepers

NoWeepers Member

The Ikon B1 is a terrific razor, and I don't see it talked about as much as it should. I don't think the Ikon website does a great job of promoting it. I was actually not interested at first because I was put off by hearing the head had a coating. The website really should provide more details, because the coating is actually way cooler than sounds.

There's a process called DLC coating. DLC stands for Diamond-like carbon and is used on lots of products. It's an incredibly hard surface, and more slippery than untreated stainless steel. My Ikon B1 slides over my face without any effort.

I'm not doing a great job of talking up DLC coatings, but believe me they're great.

I'm pretty sure I most often reach for my B1 each morning. Sure, I'll use others, but I keep coming back to Ikon.

Definitely worth a try, in my opinion.

Hembree, Terry, lightcs1776 and 3 others like this.
  2. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I have had one, but without DLC-coating. When I first used it I was blown away, thinking it is the razor I will use for the rest of my life. I was quite a newbie to DE shaving at that point and experimenting with many different DE razors. Then I went back to R41. R41 was the first razor I ever owned. Earlier I had been selling my R41, and now I regretted it and I bought a new R41. I noticed I got both a closer shave and less irritation with R41 than with the rest. The iKon open comb razor (together with SB plate) ended up for sale and so did many other of my razors. Now, some years later it would have been fun to revisit them to see how they behave with the skills I have acquired since.

During the last (maybe two) years my favorite tool of beard destruction is iKon X3. The build quality is not the best as one has to align the blade manually but it gives me the best shave out of all the razors I have. I am able to shave with any of my razors, but X3 is the one taking least effort for me.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Hembree, Terry and brit like this.
  3. NoWeepers

NoWeepers Member

My go-to razor seems to be the B1, but in a close second place is my 2013 R41. When I have time for a very careful shave, I use my 2011 R41.

Hembree likes this.
  4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I have 3 ikon bases which include the none coated version of the B1 and I like it. I have used it as part of my travel kit along with a bulldog handle and the other 2 bases.
    018429EB-F49A-48E0-9845-02AF8B1D2251.jpeg

brit likes this.
  5. NoWeepers

NoWeepers Member

I once heard the B1 was a clone of the flat-bottomed Gillette NEW from the 1930s. I don't have a flat-bottomed NEW, so I can't confirm. Anyone know?

It's definitely wider than my regular Gillette NEW.

Jorvaljr and brit like this.
  6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

It’s a clone of the new deluxe. Personally the ikon feels more aggressive

brit likes this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Definitely more toothy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

brit and Jorvaljr like this.