FROM THE WILD, vintage razors recently purchased or inherited...!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ron R, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Ron,
    I looked in the Home Depot for this and found 3 different grades. One was in a spray bottle for daily use, one looked like your picture labelled extra strength, and one that looked like a can of automobile paste wax complete with a two-sided sponge/scrubber and labelled maximum strength. Can I assume you're recommending that middle grade?

brit likes this.
  2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

The one in the picture is what I used, works great IMO.View attachment 178709

brit likes this.
  3. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ron.

brit likes this.
  4. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Just received my Everready 2nd Gen Streamline razor & Strop set without case and is very nice considering the age, a little brassing in the front part of the guard and I was expecting some normal wear. Sanitized & cleaned with New blade in and ready to have my shave tomorrow.
    streamline and strop (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Enrico, Hembree, Bird Lives and 3 others like this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I seem to really enjoy Gem Razors and went out on purchased a 1900 pat & 1901 Lather catcher because Gem makes not overly aggressive razors IMO.
    The lather catcher had some better days and needs some attention to bring it back to safe shaving. This razor has seen 10,000's shaves just by the wear on the bars from whiskers scrapping along for over 100 years of shaving.
    LC2 (2).jpg LC3 (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I love it!

Herm

Hembree and brit like this.
  7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Well I have been buying some more gear and most of it were in lots that seems to work well for me with shipping.
    A Brand new Schick NOS with a brass blank with my Damaskeene OC was a pleasant surprise.
    Haul 1 (2).jpg

I like the stick Schick and got to have some fun shaving once in a while.(Might try a double edge in it down the road.)
    Stick Schick with a 20 year warranty from a G Schick  (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Enrico, Hembree, Jorvaljr and 7 others like this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Found this old Star lather Catcher that was on _bay that was in excellent condition and was not used that much IMO.
    Star Catcher 2.2 (2).jpg
    Star lather catcher1.1 (2).jpg Star Lather catcher 3.3 (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Enrico, Hembree, Billy Goatee and 2 others like this.
  9. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

So are Schick injectors any good? I'm still new to all this ,I have only used de vintage mostly.

Hembree, RyX and brit like this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

You will enjoy Schick injectors, I would recommend a E or G series with new Schick blades that are in the yellow packaging and you will be pleasantly surprised by results IMO. I had some Schick old stock blades from a Antique store were I purchased my E2 razor and they did not perform well and turned me almost off and I went ahead and ordered some new blades and it was very good move to buy the S-chick blades. It's a nice blade system and easy to master quickly IMO. Some great information on Schick razors http://www.safetyrazors.net/schick/schicktech.htm.
    Have some great shaves!

Hembree, RyX and brit like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

i really enjoyed my time with my schick e types

Hembree likes this.
  12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Fluked out today by visiting a small antique store on the way home from a larger city and came across my my birth year razor - a Gillette 1959 E4 Fatboy that has hardly been used IMO for a bargain price.
    Gillette Fatboy 1959-E4  (2).jpg

Tomorrow will have to give it a reasonable try out on setting 5 or 6 with a Gillette 7Oclock SP Black, it sure feels nice in the hand.
    Have some great shaves!

Enrico, Hembree, Angelo85 and 6 others like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

RyX and Ron R like this.
  14. John Warr

John Warr Member

This followed me home on Sunday. Brown Bakelite Wardonia - which does NOT take standard double edged blades.

Attached Files:

Ron R, brit, Terry and 1 other person like this.
  15. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

C79E389E-75D9-420F-BC39-C4FC0D491DD1.jpeg I got this Astra 901 razor from a good friend of mine a couple years ago as a gift when he heard that I shave with a DE razor.

Enrico, Hembree, Ron R and 5 others like this.
  16. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

I have had this one for a while now. I think it was from an antique show or bidding in person at a local auction house. In any case, I finally cleaned it up and hope to try it soon. I am wanting to get into SE a bit but have been a bit gun-shy. Hopefully getting this razor in shape moves me forward.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Enrico, Hembree, Ron R and 4 others like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Nice. That's ny favorite SE handle, long and hefty.

Hembree, mvd, brit and 1 other person like this.
  18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Great cl
    Great clean up job, looks like a brand new model. I have a similar 1912 but with the Gem brand. Excellent razor in every way a fellow wants to shave along with a new Gem coated SS PTFE blade and your set. Could take a few shaves to dial it in.
    Lot's of times we buy razors that have lost original literature on proper technique, hope this might help.
    Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

RyX, brit and mvd like this.
  19. John Warr

John Warr Member

Took a wander round a car boot sale yesterday morning and came home with these - the laurel blade box is full and untouched and there is a single 7 O'clock blade in the blade box of the Myatt. The Everready is, I think, a 1950s 1912 patent - the handle is aluninium.

DSC_4501.resized.JPG DSC_4502.resized.JPG

Enrico, RyX and brit like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

very cool ..