Do You See What I See

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Timwcic, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

When I saw this, I thought I heard a angelic choir of cherubs singing in the background. One of my regular flea market sellers had this waiting for me. As far as he knew, it was a lot of razors in a homemade holder. He wanted to flip them and sell them as a whole lot. When he gave me a price, I could not give him my money quick enough. When he gave me my change, I gave him back some extra, told to buy a Father’s Day adult beverage, and find me some more razors. A great Fathers Day at the flea market

74D4E27F-D511-48D3-8D1C-37F58AD7FB62.jpeg

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Do you play the lottery too? You should start.

brit, MR41 and Timwcic like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You want to sell those Every Ready 1924 shovel heads?

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I see a backup Cooper handle (my new fav) if you decide you don't need it.

5. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

OMG
    2 that's right TWO
    Toggles

Nice catch.

Hembree, Terry, Angelo85 and 2 others like this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It is a nice score just for the 2 Toggles if you are looking to make some money on the resale. Though from a shaver standpoint I think the Super 84 is the best of the DE razors in that lot.

Toggles from my experience are not that good of a shaver. They make better display pieces than usable daily shavers for the vintage stuff besides knowing you from your other posts you probably have enough Toggles to shave with a different one for each day of the week.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Outstanding! That's how I'd like to pick up my first toggle. And my second one, too!

Edison Carter, brit and Timwcic like this.
  8. Timwcic

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Not one but two Toggles. I won’t have time to look over closely until tonight. The only thing I checked if the Toggles are 1-5 or 1-9. They are the latter. I will take a deep breath, sometime more might pop up from the same sale next week. The head for the Cooper might show up

Happy Fathers Day to all

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Between razors and Shulton products, I'd consider setting up a tent and camping out at that flea market. Good job being at the right place, right time Sir!

Timwcic, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Based on what I can tell by the picture you have the following razors. This more so for whoever is reading this thread that wants to know what they are.

Top row from left to right
    1. Toggle
    2. Toggle
    3. Gillette 40s style Super Speed
    4. Autostrop VC2
    5. Autostrop VB2
    6. Autostrop C model, can't tell which one it is without seeing the guard.
    7. Gem Micromatic either and open comb or Clog Pruf, hard to tell from that angle.
    8. Unknown 3pc open comb.
    9. Cooper, that is the one with the handle with a nut on it.

Bottom row from left to right
    1. Gillette Super 84 Black Beauty
    2. Gem Junior
    3. Gem Junior
    4. Gem Micromatic open comb
    5. Gem Micromatic open comb
    6. Every Ready 1924 Shovel head
    7. Every Ready 1914
    8. Every Ready 1924 Shovel head
    9. Gillette Slim Adjustable

If you never used an Autostrop before try the Every Ready 1914 first. They shave almost exactly like those other strops in the lot. Unless you just want to spend on the Feather blades and go right to the strops it is a good analog for those razors.

11. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

That’s what I was saying!

Timwcic, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Btw that razor head on the Cooper most likely is an oem from Conrad which made the Barbasol razors.

Here is a Barbasol to compare
    4.jpg 7.jpg 6.jpg

Timwcic, gorgo2, brit and 1 other person like this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yup, looks like the non-floating head .

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Timwcic, gorgo2 and brit like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

very cool score..

Timwcic and gorgo2 like this.
  15. Timwcic

Thanks all. Took a closer look at the Toggles. They are both D-1 date code and in overall very good condition. One is really clean and the other has some soap scum and the red dot is missing or covered top with scum. Neither has plate or lacquer loss and just some scuff marks. They survived the decade nicely

5E4F4156-5EA1-4DC3-B090-08CFA2176FDF.jpeg 033B081C-31F5-4E75-8754-007F83E1BBDF.jpeg 6E4F46C1-8B4C-4BE4-AE21-34E91A52B085.jpeg 718BB480-A526-43C7-8FD0-859A426A66DE.jpeg 350ED86D-21B7-4115-A6F6-84972A7FC6F5.jpeg

AGHisBBS, Enrico, canoeroller and 2 others like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

awesome score sir. they would look good in the "gillettes finest" thread..:)

Timwcic likes this.
  17. Timwcic

Yes, right place-right time. The markets are usually in summer slow this time of year. I almost did not go this morning. Glad I got up early

I never tried a Autostrop but I do use occasionally my ER 1914 and 1924. I have the earlier design that is patent pending before it was changed. The 1914 is one of the noisiest safety razor I have

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  18. Timwcic

I saw the Cooper handle but thought it might be a copy. I never owned one, familiar only by pictures. It does not look to me a marriage. All three pieces have the some gun metal finish to them

CF12C1BB-DAC0-4B4F-9810-1FB1A61BD2E0.jpeg 46C6FC15-358F-430D-943E-6177E3C555DC.jpeg 4D7E41C7-191C-4DBA-BF11-AD6009C83DE4.jpeg 8F801185-4D20-45F6-9BBF-1CEE69DF1B66.jpeg

Enrico and brit like this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

brit and Timwcic like this.
  20. Timwcic

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify, what exactly do I have?

brit likes this.