What Manly Things Did You Do Today?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by jwr0201, Jan 17, 2015.

1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Realization of Age

So with the advent of my 60th Birthday looming in less than 2 weeks, my loverly much younger wife says

"You're not getting any younger, let's go buy you a log splitter because I love you so much"
    "and I can't chop wood if you keel over" :D

So after much Review Reading and YouTubing we found one inside the budget and big enough to handle our needs easily

(Black Diamond 25 Ton)

So as I am way ahead this year with having 2 cords I bought, and another 5 Standing Dead trees that I can see need to be dropped without even leaving the driveway a plan on having the Wood-Rick totally full before Sept 1

I am getting better at walking away when I start feeling tired now, instead of pushing it to the max and being sore for a week :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just putting along :p

DaltonGang, AGHisBBS, Terry and 8 others like this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I had to get some craft supplies from the storage space under the stairs. That means getting down to my knees & reaching in (thankfully, I’m tall enough.). But, considering the effort it takes me to get down to my knees (which are about 40 years older than the rest of me) and back up again, I think it qualifies a pretty manly.

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Isn't that taking the whole recycling thing a little too far? :scared011:

Frijolero, Hembree and Sara-s like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Repaired some old wind chimes. Daughter assisted.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    AGHisBBS, Enrico, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  5. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

My wife and I took our four and half year old granddaughter to a water park.

Paul Turner, AGHisBBS, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  6. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

That sir, should be worthy of a gold medal!

Hembree and brit like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Through repeated experimentation and observation, I determined today that the typical Florida gray squirrel prefers bacon to peanuts.

8. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Do tell? You have our attention.

In unrelated news, I did 2 hours of physical therapy on m shoulder.
    They are making sure that I get ALL the work on the shoulder.

9. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

Hembree likes this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It's my fault that they mooch, I usually show up every few days with a can of peanuts. They fight over them with two male blue jays. Anyway today I showed up with a salad with bacon bits in it. Real bacon, that is. They went nuts when they tasted it.

Frijolero, AGHisBBS, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Just returned from a a three day christian men's retreat four hours north in to Canada. Beautiful scenery and good company along with my two adult boys. Stayed at the Miners Bay Lodge near Minden Hill.

AGHisBBS, Hembree and brit like this.
  12. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Changed oil in the car, mowed about 4 acres of grass, had the oldest grandson over so he could play with the neighbor kids for a while. I have a rather large, uh, playground, I built years ago for the kids, he calls it pappy's park. ;)
    An elementary school was selling their playground stuff, so...... :).

tp

Frijolero, Boojum1, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  13. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Just trying to be a better dad for my little (or not so little) girl

Hembree, BigMike, brit and 3 others like this.
  14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Shined my shoes with Kiwi. Got a good precursor of leather scent for shave-related purposes.

Hembree, brit, AGHisBBS and 1 other person like this.
  15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I put in the order for a new central AC unit, didn’t faint at the cost and picked the most fiscally sound payment plan.

Hembree, AGHisBBS and brit like this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Went to a chiropractor for the first time. Hoo boy. Feel a little better.

Hembree, AGHisBBS and Paul Turner like this.
  17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I spent too much time talkinabout shining my shoes with that Kiwi leather that I forgot about a manly thing I WILL do later today-hopefully a strong workout at the gym. I didn't go Saturday as there was a political town hall event.

18. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:signs021:

Hembree and Terry like this.
  19. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks Mark
    I almost sold it all, then the first grand child came. Well, you can figure out the rest...
    tp

Frijolero and AGHisBBS like this.
  20. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

I was able to receive this barometer from my Grandparents estate. It had been altered with a plastic thermometer glued on which I took off. It also had a chipped finish and some minor wood damage. It doesn't have monetary value, but it does have sentimental value, and I have been wanting a vintage barometer for a while now. Coming from my grandparents wall where it has been for at least 30 yrs ticks all the boxes

This past weekend I found a similar barometer at the flea market for 5 bucks so decided to use it to harvest a replacement thermometer.

Today, I disassembled it, stripped off the clear coat (shellac, I think), and sanded it down. Unfortunately, I ran out of sandpaper before finishing, but it is almost done. Next I will stain and clearcoat it, reassemble it, and put it on the wall for another 30 years, I hope.

Now I gotta figure out how to clean the brass and think about whether to use some rub n buff or just leave it. Not sure on clearcoat either. May try shellac or just use the typical water-based that I have on hand already.

It will probably look much the same as it did, but will now have their memory and my restoration memory built in.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hembree, DaltonGang, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.