Gillette Skin Guard trial

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Edison Carter, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

There was a time when I packed my suitcase on Monday and came home Friday. Shaving was just another chore then.

I avoid traveling nowadays but wondered what I might use. While at the grocery store I decided to take a stroll in the shave section.

Packs of DE blades! Great, I'm set unless I forget a razor (fuggettaboutit, no freehanding or gluing here). Cartridges and disposables galore. Then I saw this.

[​IMG]

Gillette Skin Guard (and a FREE Fusion handle to boot. Lucky me).Read about it figured I'd try. Oh, and grabbed a can of Pacific Rush. A flavor I have not tried and since I have not been fully delivered from the occasional foam use, in the basket it went. Yeah, and per my goofy CT, I do bloom it with dihydrogen monoxide.

Made 2 passes WTG and ATG, with a lathered spot touch up. In that scenerio, I could get by. More comfortable than the Mach III so it probably be what I'd buy. Considering these carts are ONLY $5 ea, I'd have saved a lot of money over my current shaving hobby (shhh, please don't tell The Lovely Mrs Headroom that).

Interesting experiment, but I won't be jumping the fence.

A Happy Father's Day, where applicable.

2. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Wonderful Bill.
    Some weeks ago I tried to use the type of razor I had used for years and years. It is a bic single blade plastic disposal razor.
    I have had to use a single blade razor because the double blades pull and tug my skin and about drives me over the edge. Never tried a 3, 4, 5.....bladed razor.
    Well anyway, the silly thing pulled and tugged so much I didn't get through the first cheak on the first pass. Until I used a razor with a sharp blade I didn't know any better.
    So I guess I would be one of those guys buying a razor blade and a tube of super glue, or a popsicle stick, something.

I do kinda envy people who can use a cart razor and get a good shave without feeling like you just got your face waxed.

But such is life....
    tp

brit likes this.
  3. Edison Carter

Well I wouldn't call it a good shave. Acceptable if I had to, yes.

I'm not sure I ever got ingrowns from shaving till I used a Mach 3. Never tried one with more blades.

This has 2 and they are spaced apart. The plastic guards do minimize the scraping part. I assume it handles like a fusion.

Like I said, you won't see me jumping the fence.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone with a medical reason to use carts.

Terry and Keithmax like this.
  4. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks
    I don't even get that without aggravation and redness. I do think my skin has gotten more tender since I started using a sharp razor, but by not abusing it.

I like to compare it to going from an outside laborers job to a desk job. The skin looses its calluses, cracks and cuts, softens then heals looking better and feeling better.

I wouldn't have believed it, if it didn't happen to me that way. But every one has different reasons to use DE, SE and open blade razors.
    tp

brit and Edison Carter like this.
  5. Luca

Luca Member

i have been sent a Skinguard with 2 carts as a gift. I usually don't use any cart razor with more than three blades and BTW i still consider my sensor excel much better than mach3.
    Anyway, after my canonical XTG, ATG (my beard mapping told me my beard grows bottom to top everywhere except some spots on mustache area, so with WTG i only move soap with every razor) then touch ups i had what i consider a very unacceptable shave, with a lot of unshaved spot left. So, no irritation at all but at the cost of a much less close shave. To get a ccs i had to do a freaking lot of passes with more irritation than my usual setup (red proraso , wilkinson brush and sensor excel with custom handle). And with my sensor i routinely get a good BBS. So, for ME, skinguard is a big failure. BTW as you can see in my other post i'm trying to move to DE shaving so i'll probably leave my sensor as a backup.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    brit, Edison Carter and Terry like this.
  6. Edison Carter

I still pick up the Mach III every once in a while to remind me what I'm not missing.

Luca and brit like this.