June 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, May 31, 2019.

?

What "Basics" will you use for "Just the Basics June"?

1. Basic soaps. Arko, Williams, you know, the good stuff.

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Basic razors. Weishi, Techs, Superspeeds, you know, the good stuff.

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Basic brushes. VDH boar, you know, the good stuff.

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. Basic aftershaves. Aqua Velva, Clubman, The Veg, you know, the good stuff.

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  5. I'm using a whole bunch of stuff and I don't care if it's basic or not!

27 vote(s)
    64.3%
  6. Straight razors. Basic enough for you?

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  7. Cookies and Ice Cream for me, thank you very much.

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  8. I'll tell you at the meet up. Save me a brush.

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Gillette New Deluxe
    Gillette Silver Blue
    Semogue BC Mistura
    Stirling Orange Chill soap
    Superior 70 Bay Rum

It was a nice comfortable 2 pass shave, but I am losing my taste for the Stirling Orange Chill soap. It is nice enough, but I will be happy when the puck is finished.

Keithmax, RyX, jtspartan and 13 others like this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Jim! I was definitely interested in this one, as PAA is offering this same soap in a shave stick. I am definitely considering picking up a couple.

RyX, Frijolero, Hembree and 6 others like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Clint!

Hembree, Trigger, brit and 4 others like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Sure didn't mean to say anything funny.

RyX, Primotenore, Hembree and 6 others like this.
  5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim. I was surprised by how good the Formula T soap performed. I do wish the container was bigger.

RyX, Hembree, Trigger and 5 others like this.
  6. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

June 19th
    #160 Goodwill w PermaSharp (1)
    APShaveCo Synbad/ Poculi Handle
    Asylum/SV Colonia combo
    Thayers
    B5AA2CB4-07B5-485B-8374-911EFD58E1A0.jpeg
    Left the basics focus for a bit to have a run with a new toy- this Goodwill. Since it has the same baseplate as one of my favourites, the NEW LC and it was offered at a fair price, I was happy to get it.
    I got the usual great SV lather, and went to town with this new shaver. It did not shave exactly like my NEW LC, different handle and top cap, I suppose. I am close and smooth, but do have a little irritation. Took it for granted. I’ll give it more attention tomorrow.
    Have a great day, all!

Keithmax, RyX, AlDm and 14 others like this.
  7. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

June 19
    Good morning, men!
    Just finish shaving my 38 hour stubble.
    Today's random pick out of the hat was my widest (15//16) razor in my den. It is my 100 year old Wosty near wedge shaver. This is my best and foremost favorite of my 10 straights. This is SR shave # 83. Facelathered Stirling's Sandalwood with my Omega 49 boar to a nice luxurious lather. Two passes and I really didn't need to do any touchups, but did anyway. Also performed the Fool's pass and realized that this razor makes it very easy to accomplish it. There weren't any mishaps and this was an uber BBS shave. I would say that this shave would be up to a professional barber's standard of a very good shave. Finished this great shave with Stirling's Sandalwood aftershave.
    Result: Grade 99 = A+
    Have a great day, guys! 20190619_084628.jpg 20190619_084628.jpg

Keithmax, wristwatchb, RyX and 14 others like this.
  8. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

june192019.jpg
    June 19th

Proraso PS Red
    Darwin Drake 2 band badger
    Kamisori - New Azuma Yasuki Steel
    C&F SC - 1445
    Gentleman Jon's Alum
    Fine AS - Fresh Vetiver

My first traditional Kamisori shave. Yay! Received from a Japanese vendor on the bay yesterday. Was in pretty rough shape....duller than butter, tarnished, and the original rubber handle literally disintegrated as I removed it. From the beginning, I knew this an experiment and a test, so went in with a learning mindset. 3 New Azuma Yusaki Steel Kamis for $85 delivered....didn't expect much. No worries Spicoli, my father and grandfather taught me to have an awesome set of tools. 3 hours later.....rough tang edges tamed (from under the handle), shiny and polished, fresh wrap, and finally honed to a shaveable edge. Watched gssixgun's videos (a few times now) on honing a traditional grind Kamisori. Found out one of the reasons this example was one of a set of three (and likely the worst, now that I understand traditional grind hone planes). It's got a wonky lean in the bevel, from whomever honed it using too much toe pressure (or one handed possibly), or maybe using a 1:1 ratio with too much toe pressure. Worked it the best I could using gssixgun's recommended 1:7, 1:5, then finally 1:3 flip ratio. Started at ground zero. 4k, 8k, then finishing with 12k. Did it's linen and strop time. This stage really brought out a scary sharp edge on the blade's mid point to toe. Hairs popped and flew when just barely touched. Still, it'll go back to honing. The back half of the edge is shaving, but not like the front half. Hopefully I can correct the lean issue, now that I understand this razor's geometry better. I want that level of sharp for the entire length of edge. No sending it out....I gots to learn.

Shave today....reached for the slickest setup I know....Proraso PS Red along with C&F SC. The 2 band badger was watered well, and made an enormous volume of slickery white bliss. Painted and swirled it on....First/second passes were mainly getting accustomed to grip and maneuverability, and weren't as close as usual. Hmm....I know it's sharp, so really put some brain power behind the 3rd pass....and in the end, a 3 pass CCS+. The lower right neck always the troubled child....with cheeks, mouth, chin, lower left neck my usual result. Got a couple landing weepers on the second pass (scary sharp front half). This razor demands a light landing. Nothing that Gentleman Jon's alum and the Fine AS couldn't control.

If you didn't see the original image of this razor straight from the package (yesterday's June 2019 The Haul post)..this razor is the black handle reborn..click here.

Hope everyone has a Wonderful Wednesday!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Keithmax, wristwatchb, RyX and 13 others like this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Terrific lineup and photo Jason. Love the Colonia soap and aftershave. The razor looks to be in great shape.

Hembree, Trigger, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great shave and photo Joe.

Hembree, Norcalnewb, brit and 4 others like this.
  11. Trigger

Thank you, Clint!

Hembree, Norcalnewb, brit and 4 others like this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

You did a fantastic job on bringing the Kami back to usable form. Way to go. :eatdrink047:

RyX, Hembree, Norcalnewb and 6 others like this.
  13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Brought out the Stoylin Ramblin Man(both the shave soap and A.S.). Again I'd like to thank my PIFer, Mr. Cawtuh(he knows his username :), for getting the soap started. I suppose many PIFed soaps are just like that-the receiver already has a heads start in the loading process. I'm not sure how long it will last until July 4-my "cutoff date" for which soaps to keep through the warm-to-hot months. Two chin weepers prevented a 100% satisfied shave, but that goes on my shaving, not the soap. I'm still getting accustomed to the tiny peephole from which the aftershave is applied. But a decent overall shave.

Keithmax, wristwatchb, RyX and 10 others like this.
  14. Trigger

Blair, from one fellow newbie to another, you are doing great! I haven't done any major honing so you are ahead of me in that department.

RyX, Frijolero, Hembree and 8 others like this.
  15. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Thank you Clint! Fun little project. I definitely don't want to do this on every purchase.

Thanks for the kind words Joe!

Honing to me is a necessary labor of frustration, which cures my RA - IWIN/IWIA* disorder. If I have to purchase it (and wait), ooh....YAY.....it's here...shiny....RATS.....it's dull....can't use it....now send it out (and wait x2)....This beats my brain cells silly. Learning to hone cures that for me.

IWIN/IWIA* explained: :rofl::happy102:

Keithmax, wristwatchb, RyX and 11 others like this.
  16. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Awesome reports gents

RyX, jtspartan, Hembree and 8 others like this.
  17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Patrick.

Hembree, Trigger, Norcalnewb and 3 others like this.
  18. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Lovely 'Just the Basics' shave and image Gary!

Incredible color coordination Jim! Love the Blackland BlackBird. Isn't he supposed to be releasing some new toys soon? Any word yet?

Very nice shave Jim...super image and filter. Eye candy.

Great B&W image Clint. Might have to revisit a sample I have of WSP Formula T....

More eye candy. Like the symmetry w/colors Jason. Oh....awesome shave and gear as well!

Great shave result Joe! Congratulations on a 99.

Keithmax, RyX, jtspartan and 9 others like this.
  19. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Thanks Patrick!

Hembree, Trigger, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  20. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

PAA makes shave sticks? Where can you find them?

This morning:
    Rocket
    Nacet (2) - I think this blade is slightly off-center, going to toss it
    Arko
    RazoRock Plissoft
    Noble Otter Orbit aftershave - some of you menthol freaks would like this one with its synthetic cooling agent

Keithmax, wristwatchb, RyX and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.