What is "required" to do most restorations

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by Suhrim21, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

I have two razors I'm trying to restore. I have wet dry sandpaper. I don't have any power tools and don't want to use power tools unless absolutely necessary. What besides sand paper is needed to handle most restorations.

I see a lot of people saying they restored scales with ca what is that.

I would like to polish some blades so I know a metal polish like flitz or really any wheel polish compound. I do have a drill and was thinking maybe one of the wheel polishing bits and I don't really see that as damaging the temper or blade. Some blades I'm not going to mirror polish like the beau brummel. I may polish the face of the blade only. But there are dimples in the Tang and tail that when I sanded gives shinny metal with the almost black dimples it looks really cool. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to polish any of that blade. The natural patina on it looks cool to me. Trying to decide if just polishing the face of the blade and leaving the patina on spine Tang and tail will be a great contrast.

Scales some that are unique I would like to be able to seal them maybe with a thin layer of acrylic unless there is a cheaper way to put a hard sealant on them. Example I'm working on a Beau brummel razor and getting the pins off each hole cracked and split a bit. That is something I need to learn how to take pins off without damaging the scales and then how to repin scales. But the scales are unique and I need something to seal and make them strong so they can be repinned.

So what do I need to be able to do most restores. I know sandpaper mag wheel polish and of course stones to hone the razor on after it's done. I know I also need the tools to repin scales and a way to cut the pins to remove them. On the beau brummel I used toe nail clippers. They did work but we're hard to use. I'm thinking some wire cutters that are small and thin.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for being all over the place with this. Tried to be general and specific to the razor I'm working on currently.

I'm working on two. The beau brummel and an ERN

Billyfergie and RyX like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I haven't restored a razor, so I don't have much information for you. What I do know is that CA is super glue. I have used thin CA as a finish on wood pens. It dries fast, hard, and can make the wood shine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. Suhrim21

Just regular super glue? How does that work?

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Billyfergie, brit and lightcs1776 like this.
  5. Suhrim21

Wow crazy. Never would have thought to try that.

RyX and Billyfergie like this.
  6. Suhrim21

Is there any tutorials on how to do that.

RyX and Billyfergie like this.
  7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    YouTube Channel

"gssixgun"

There are quite a few vids on different aspects of restoration

Here is one that you might REALLY want to watch before doing pins

panchihming, RyX, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

The CS coating? Not that I know of. You can be the first! I've only read about it, never tried.

After you get it figured out take lots of pictures, explain each step, and I'll "Pin" the tutorial for others to follow. Not being snarky - That's how the knowledge is shared and TSD database grows.