Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

In case anyone is interested, MM currently has 7 day seconds packs available on their website. They go fast. Their seconds are a great deal. Also, tonight I had a nice smoke with a MM Diplomat Apple cob and some Cult Blood Red Moon tobacco. Nice relaxing evening.

BamaT, AGHisBBS, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I had my first chance to put hands on several MM cobs yesterday. Shopping to pick up one for a neighbor, I called several tobacco shops. One finally gave me the news they had cobs. Bought this one since it is similar to my first several years ago.
    MM cob for Warren.gif It's the rough cheapie, but I got to look at and hold the better versions. The ten dollar MM's have that plaster filled and clear coated surface. Much more substantial feel with nice stems. I think it was the Apple shape that caught my eye though they had half a dozen different styles available.

danbuter, BamaT, CrustyCat and 2 others like this.
  3. CrustyCat

They are very nice pipes. I have a "bunch". And more coming...hehe. Had the wife pick up the MM Legends that were at Walgreens and also picked up a Dr. Grabow.

AGHisBBS and brit like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Oh yeah? I didn't think to check there. Thanks for the clue!

brit likes this.
  5. CrustyCat

Yeah. They were kinda hidden on the bottom shelf.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  6. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

POTD 06242019.gif
    Rainy Monday on the Gulf Coast. Cup of coffee and the gently rusticated Stanwell 139 with PS Lux Twist Flake. Going to be a quiet day.

8. brit

brit in a box

very nice Rick..

RyX likes this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you Gary!
    POTD 06262019 GL Pease JKP.gif
    Today's photo is an estate pipe I traded for at an antique shop in my little down town. A Comoy Arcadia that I have yet to find on a shape chart. The wood is very similar to a Kaywoodie Flame Grain. Got a much better burn from the GL Pease Jackknife Plug than how the Kaywoodie Magnum was acting. Switched out pocket knifes from the Buck with SS blades to an Old Timer with carbon steel. Makes a great tamp if the bowl isn't too narrow.

danbuter, BamaT, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

very cool sir..

RyX likes this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

POTD 06292019 LA Red from BamaT.gif
    Mail Call! Tony @BamaT counted coup on me in a trading session. He knows I like a bit of Perique in my VaPer and offered to send some H&H Louisiana Red my way. After being jarred for a while it developed too much character for his tastes. Being on the look out for interesting trades I offered to send something his way. He hadn't tried H&H Anniversary Kake & I'd just received some. The half I broke off wasn't near as fat as the LA Red he sent. Then there's the H&H Log Cabin that reminds me of Carter Hall but the H&H is probably better. And the Sutliff Matured Red... I see what you did there Tony. I've got your return address and we'll need to even the score!

The pipe is a Thomas Cristiano Canadian Lovat. Big bore deep bowl. Can't see much of the rustication on the bottom side but it's a nice mix of smooth glossy & rumple bumps. Chris @Bama Samurai knows how to recommend a pipe!

12. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

@RyX , Nice pipe!

RyX likes this.
  13. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

DCDFD11C-3D08-4739-8561-F0480476D8FA.jpeg
    @RyX Richard, nice Canadian, I love those. I looked at the same pipe at The Briary, but ultimately decided it was a tad big for me. But I may go have another look.

Count the score as even on the tobacco swap! I’m smoking the Anniversary Kake right now in my Stefano, and I really like it. The Perique level is much more to my liking, with a nice blend of dark and light Virginia’s. The La. Red is mostly if not all tangy Red Virginia’s with a very healthy dose of Perique, just a little too much spicy for me.

As I get down the bowl in my first try of Anniversary Kake, the profile is changing slightly, but I’m still definitely enjoying it. I will be getting a supply of this on my next order from Pipes and Cigars. Thanks for the sample!

danbuter, AGHisBBS, RyX and 2 others like this.
  14. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Newminister Navy Flake in a Neerup Poker with some hot tea. Newminister NF isn’t the typical Navy Flake profile, it’s straight Virginia that has been described as having a flavor and room note of toasted bread, versus citrus, grass or hay, and I would concur with that assessment.

C5E1180A-A0B0-44CA-80ED-FDA98C624823.jpeg

danbuter, AGHisBBS, Erik Redd and 2 others like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Sounds like a shorter bowl might keep you out of the dregs? Maybe use it to spice up something on the bland side. Could improve both and stretch out the enjoyment! Glad you are enjoying it. Chris @Bama Samurai knows how to recommend some tasty stuff.

AGHisBBS, Bama Samurai and BamaT like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

POTD 07072019.gif No hot tea for me, plenty heat and humidity just stepping out the door. From what I read this (and all?) Dunhill is out of production? I've slowly worked my way into Latakia and this is no slouch. It's got a sweetness from the Virginias, a fair amount of spice. Not an everyday nor all day but I'm enjoying it occasionally. Next time I visit my local shops, I'll give the other L's a sniff. Couple times I've looked for info on the Comoy's Arcadia. Nothing like it listed on their charts, none for sale. It's an oddity I picked up from one of my favorite antique shops. The owner is willing to barter - my old junk for his shiny things!

danbuter, AGHisBBS, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  17. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Most pipe tobaccos change flavor profiles as you progress through the bowl, some worse than others. Anniversary Kake did change, but never got bad the way aromatics do (at least to me :)). That’s the hallmark of a great blend, one that doesn’t go south at the end. Even the Newminister NF, which I like overall, gets a little snarky at the end.

Yeah, Chris and I have talked at length over the past few years, swapped some tobacco, and met up at The Briary when he was in town on a family visit. Actually I was smoking pipes when Chris was in kindergarten!

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  18. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I used to be a lot more into Latakia blends than I am now, but Dunhill 965 and Frog Morton on the Town were always my favorites. FM on the Town leans more to orientals, and isn’t available now anyway. DH 965 is really a Scottish blend. My son, who smokes Latakia almost exclusively, really likes Sutliff English Kake, which is readily available. If you can find some DH 965, with Dunhill going out, I’d recommend it.

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  19. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Saturday morning pipe, enjoying Anniversary Kake (thanks @RyX for the generous sample) in my Skip Elliot handmade with coffee in my WWII Museum mug.

68B215C0-89C8-46DD-9D0F-37FA076940DA.jpeg

20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Glad you are enjoying it! Not to spicy?

Didn't take a photo, but just enjoyed a bowl of 2/3 Toasted Burley, 1/3 Cubed Burley in the Chacom with a tall stiff Crown Royale & Coke. Hurricane Barry is threatening but gave me a break today. I've cleared my driveway of two junk trucks been sitting for a couple years. A buddy needed a place to store the F-250 King cab & Crew cab so I said "Sure!" Before the current weather system was named we scheduled this weekend to get 'er done. Being on the East side of the weather system, it was cool, breezy, and dry up until the last 15 minutes. A gentle misty sprinkle dropped the outside temp to very comfortable. So I celebrated being able to again reach my garage and carport with a Father's day gift / adult beverage from my daughter.

AGHisBBS, BamaT and brit like this.