How common is this Vintage Gillette Razor ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Shoebooty, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Shoebooty

Shoebooty Member

I came across this old vintage Gillette razor and never saw a old Gillette with this kind of head with these kind of posts before have you ? So I was curious if this was a common type of old Gillette razor back in the day with these kind of posts or is it a more rarer find as far as old Gillette's were made ?

Attached Files:

mvd, brit, Terry and 1 other person like this.
  2. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

That is a Standard 160 Goodwill razor, based on the Gillette New LC. Personally, I'd say that Goodwill razors, in general, are uncommon but not particularly rare. There are actually a number of different Goodwill models and this is probably the most common.

brit, Rev579 and RyX like this.
  3. Shoebooty

Shoebooty Member

ok thank you, I myself have never seen one before and was curious,,,

brit likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have the English version of that razor. It is my only Goodwill razor, and I like it. That one looks well worn. Did you acquire it or are you just looking?

brit likes this.
  5. Shoebooty

Shoebooty Member

I did buy it because I have never seen one like it before and I like the old open comb razor ,,, by chance can you tell me if Is it more of a an aggressive razor being an older open comb razor ?

6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It is one of the more aggressive US made Gillette razors. Depending how you load the blade even morer aggressive because of the increase in blade exposure. It is a really good shaver but a bit of a p.i.t.a. to load the blade evenly or symmetrically on both sides of the cap.

brit and RyX like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I don't consider these type razors to be aggressive. The Old Types, yes, the Goodwills and NEWs, no. That is my take.

brit likes this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yeah, Gillette's business model was not making aggressive razors. They left that to the French

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

brit and Terry like this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You would be correct if that assessment is based upon only the British Goodwill variants. British Goodwills are completely different shave wise from the American models. The 160 is an outlier in the overall the Goodwill variants though. The rest of the American and Canadian Goodwills are about as aggressive as the New long comb razors and the British ones even milder than those. I've never owned or used a Brazilian or Argentinian made Goodwill so I couldn't say how those stack up.

Terry and brit like this.
  10. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I've shaved with more aggressive Gillette razors, however this one is pretty cool. As stated previously, you can vary the blade exposure with the cap alignment and the reverse studs. It shaves well and you can give each of the Goodwill razors a spin and find your sweet-spot.
    And, when the combs are out of whack or the comb has issues, there is a good chance you'll have a poor shave.

brit and Terry like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

gillette new oc razors are fantastic shavers..imo

Jayaruh and Terry like this.
  12. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Great razor, in my opinion. I don't find it aggressive. The Gillette New and Old give a great shave that, for me, is very comfortable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  13. Shoebooty

Shoebooty Member

Ok, well Thank you for all the replies and all the helpful info on this particular Gillette razor that now know of a little more about once again thanks to all !!

Jayaruh and brit like this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

And in your case you shouldn't reason being, correct me if I am wrong is that you based upon some of your posts are primarily a straight razor shaver. Your ability to control the blade and tactile response is more fine tuned for a lack of a better term when you become accustomed to shaving with sharper and more rigid blades. Even though I haven't gotten in straight razors just yet I can certainly say for sure after using injector and Gem style razors for a little bit that it has improved my DE shaving along these lines.

brit and lightcs1776 like this.
  15. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I actually haven't gone back to my open comb razors since moving to SRs. However, I agree with your assessment that SRs have improved my DE shaving. I use a '58 Fatboy when I am short on time and those shaves have definitely improved.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  16. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Jayaruh and brit like this.
  17. Shoebooty

Shoebooty Member

Me no I have never used a straight razor I have a shaky hand and just a little afraid to try a straight razor, I bought a shavette razor but still not tried it out yet,,, one day I'll give it a shot,,,,. IM still working on my DE shaving skills...

brit likes this.
  18. Shoebooty

Shoebooty Member

Those are nice razors for sure & in really nice condition I love the old razor stuff ,,,,and I like the way the case is made to save space and yet has a lot the room in the case.

brit and MntnMan62 like this.
  19. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    chevyguy, brit and MntnMan62 like this.
  20. Shoebooty

Shoebooty Member

I have a nice 59 E1 that I got about 2 weeks ago that I have not had a chance to used yet, & I'm looking forwards to trying it out hopefully this weekend .

brit and lightcs1776 like this.