What the Hell are Parents thinking???

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Jun 21, 2019.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Let me say, that this is happening in areas that are very well off. I was at the neighborhood swimming pool today, and saw some girls, around 14-17 years old, and they were wearing "Thong" Bikinis. Which only had about 1-2 inches of material in the back, and not much more in the front.
    I saw the same thing, last year, at Seaside Florida. But with 11-14 yr old girls.
    Are the parents that bought these for their kids insane??
    I will say that they got quite a bit of attention from the boys today. I didnt stick around long. The whole thing was just ticking me off, because I have a 13 yr old daughter, who doesnt need to thing this is appropriate, or cool.

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

All I can offer is that all is proceeding exactly as foretold and it will get worse. There's nothing you can do but see to your own.

ghostlife, Frijolero, BigMike and 3 others like this.
  3. DaltonGang

True, very true. My thoughts were that some of these "Trophy Wives" are getting a little older now, and are starting to live vicariously, through their kids.

Frijolero and gorgo2 like this.
  4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Here is my thoughts. Anyone is welcome to disagree, I have thick skin. For myself, scripture teaches modesty. That doesn't mean anyone has to dress like a nun. I also believe girls disrespect themselves when they dress like that. It may not be intentional, but it is the reality. Also, if young ladies want to be taken seriously, for more than their looks, then dress / swim in a way that doesn't put their bodies on display. Guys will still notice they are attractive, and yes, that will be the first thing they notice. But, they will also notice the other characteristics of a lady. When my daughter was still at home, she was not allowed to wear skimpy bathing suits. She is pretty enough to be noticed without showing herself off.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5. brit

brit in a box

oh boy..my daughter is an adult thank goodness..

Shaver X, Frijolero, gorgo2 and 4 others like this.
  6. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Neighborhood pools tend to have codes of conduct and requirements/standards for swimming attire. The best thing we can do is manage ourselves and teach those under our care what is appropriate and expected. We can also ask that standards are both met and kept.

Frijolero, gorgo2, RyX and 3 others like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

when teen age girls see adult women in thongs at the public pool they are striving to follow suit..does one lock them up till they are adults?

Shaver X, Frijolero, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  8. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

So true. Kids emulate their elders. If you want your kids to dress and behave in an appropriate fashion, you need to present an example of the desired behavior. Be a role model. If kids see their parents fighting at their kid's sporting events, you can almost guarantee those kids will be fighting at their own kid's sporting events when they finally get around to having kids. As the social morays become more and more permissive, kids follow suit. I've been thinking a lot about this stuff lately. Maybe I'm getting old or something but I think about this country and where we are and I've begun to formulate a theory. I think the success of this country, material wealth and extremely comfortable lifestyle, has begun to have a negative impact. People take it for granted. They've lost the ability to understand the concept of humility. How to show respect for other people. How to discuss things in a civil manner without blowing up and calling people names, or worse. These "skills" seem to have begun to disappear from large segments of the population. Whether it is dressing like a prostitute or having a leader who blows up and calls people names when the subject goes in a direction they don't like, it is a reflection of the society and how those people go about their lives. I actually think that this is exactly what caused the fall of the Roman Empire. Sorry for the rant but I think it relates to DaltonGang's OP, if tangentially. And for the record, I agree with him.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  9. lightcs1776

@MtMnMan62 Very well said!

Frijolero, gorgo2, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  10. DaltonGang

Being a role model has a lot to do with how are kids behave. But, being a "Parent" and not their friend means even more, in my view.

Now, for the downfall of the Roman Empire. Not a singular answer. From what I remember being taught, there were multiple causes.
    Over reliance on slavery
    Over extension of their territories
    Christianity
    Invasions from Visigoths.
    Civil unrest
    Possibly lead poisoning too.
    Plus,more that i cannot remember.

BTW, history is fascinating. Those who do not learn from histories mistakes, are doomed to repeat these same mistakes.

11. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

We are on our third generation of "not needing fathers" in the home. What does one expect?

12. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I would like to say I'm afraid you're right, but, I'm not afraid, I think you're right.
    All! Societies end, some with a wimper, most with a bang. If history could teach us anything, that would surely be it.

Man can learn one thing, from history,
    Man doesn't learn anything, from history.

trudge on....
    tp

13. brit

brit in a box

well versed sir..i agree..

Frijolero, gorgo2 and MntnMan62 like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

well gents,now we know how to fix it.,what's next?;)

Frijolero and gorgo2 like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Societies, all of them, eventually are trainwrecks. They dissipate, unravel, collapse, perish, and are replaced by something else. In fact, a general but unavoidable pattern has been identified.

Yes, some societies persist longer than others. Details will vary. A few points may differ here or there, or they may overlap. And some die more quietly than others. But not one exception can be found to the general rule that they all die after following this basic terminal cycle that, once started, can't be stopped. In all of recorded history, no society has survived the progression of internal moral rot, political corruption, lawlessness, and loss of will in defending and maintaining the founding principles. Not one.

So the only question is, where do you place your own society on the spectrum of collapse? How close to death is your society as you have known it?

Practical point: you can't save a trainwreck, especially when a growing majority does not see it as a trainwreck but, suicidally, as glorious progress. At that point, all you can do is try to save victims from the wreck and salvage what you can.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  16. DaltonGang

Sodom and Gomorrah.

17. DaltonGang

But, back on the original subject. When the wife brings home an inappropriate swimsuit, or any clothing for that matter, for your daughter. Silently take it, walk to the scissors, and cut them up. Then walk off, without a sound. Oh, make sure you give them the steely eyed look the entire time, that says "Not a words out of any of you" .

Keithmax, gorgo2, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  18. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Not a word....;)

:happy088:

Been there.... done that....

tp

gorgo2, Frijolero, brit and 1 other person like this.
  19. lightcs1776

My wife and I are on the same page, so it isn’t an issue here. She models are beliefs, keeping outfits, including swimwear, nice, but modest. I have been blessed by her.

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You'll totally get this.

https://iotwreport.com/its-the-collapse-of-the-family-that-results-in-father-absent-homes/