Summertime...Barbeques, Grills & Smokers!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by HolyRollah, Jun 11, 2013.

1. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Apple pie with an oatmeal crumble on the kamado to enjoy this snowy day.

applepie.jpg

PatrickA51, Erik Redd, BamaT and 5 others like this.
  2. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Beautiful.:happy088:

PanChango and Hembree like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

8.5 lb Pork Roast
    2 Racks of Pork Ribs
    6 lb Organic Chicken, for my health conscious daughter.

I started the smoking at 6 am, with Red Oak. I figure the smoking should be done at around 11 am. Then into the oven, at a low temp, until dinner.

P2260817.JPG

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    PatrickA51, Redrock, BamaT and 4 others like this.
  4. Redrock

Looking good. I like the flavor the Red Oak gives the meat.

BamaT and DaltonGang like this.
  5. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Smoking a 10lb pork shoulder for tomorrow. I hate doing it a day early but my wife’s family likes to eat early dinner and pulled pork take a long time. 87316E40-2DC2-4CF6-B901-F1499CB637B0.jpeg

6. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Got up a little early this morning and put a ham in the new Weber kettle my wife gave me for Christmas. I used a modified snake, two shorter ones on either side lit on opposite ends. Then had security duty at church during our Easter program. When I got home, the kettle was cooking at about 300 degrees, just what I was shooting for. Took it off after 4 hours. My daughter and her husband came over, my son was here, and we had a great Easter dinner. The ham was great! We did the same program at church yesterday evening, so I didn’t miss out on it.

05C4E8FC-CF6D-4E81-B044-756373E66370.jpeg 94598E9C-992C-4FC9-B41A-33CFA2614DD5.jpeg

7. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I envy you guys with a good smoker. Lately it's just been me and my basic charcoal grill. Lots of burgers and hot dogs. I have started playing around with a Mediterranean style chicken shwarma recipe. It's been well received by the family an friends. Once I get it dialed in to my satisfaction I will share. It's pretty simple and quite flavorful.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hembree, Jorvaljr, PanChango and 4 others like this.
  8. Redrock

Alder Wood smoked salmon. Back in the late 1990s I made a business trip to Seattle WA. This is where I was introduced, so to speak, to Alder Wood smoked salmon. It was love at first taste. Since then, this has been a regular meal in my house. A very unique flavor. Good eats.

Salmon1.JPG

9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Does your grill have a lid? If so you can do a lot with it.

I turned out a lot of good food from just a basic charcoal grill.

Hembree, Jorvaljr, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  10. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

That looks great! Can you describe the flavor of alder wood smoke compared to other woods? Just wondering what readily available wood in central Alabama would be close.

Hembree and BaylorGator like this.
  11. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I have a basic round grill and a propane smoker and a propane grill. I want to get a hinged grill grate and that way I can smoke with the charcoal grill. It takes understanding the air flow, charcoal burn and wood burning. But it’s part of the fun.

Hembree and SharptoothC like this.
  12. Redrock

Most sites have this description of the wood. "Alder - With its sweet, musky smoke and mild flavor, Alder wood is incredibly versatile. It also gives off plenty of smoke without overpowering delicate flavors."

It is similar to fruit woods such as apple and pecan. It is a mild wood - nothing like oak, hickory, and mesquite. I have only used it on salmon. I order this wood of off the internet.

Hope this helps.

Hembree, brit and BaylorGator like this.
  13. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

It does. I make it work. But you gotta have goals. Once I buy a new AC unit, replace the shower, and replace my aging car, a smoker is in the plans!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BamaT, brit, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  14. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

[​IMG]
    First pork shoulders of the season. The one on the left is a standard dry rub and the one on the right is a herb salt blend from Hawaii. Seven hours on the offset smoker with 4 of those with hickory smoke. I’ll finish these in the oven tomorrow.
    I did try something new this time. I cut deep slits into them and added rub into those cavities with the hope that they will cook faster but also provide a bit more seasoning due to increased surface area. We’ll find out tomorrow if these came out well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PatrickA51, Redrock, BamaT and 8 others like this.
  15. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

So how did it turn out.

My favorite way to do shoulder is to inject them and use rub on the outside.

My last one I injected with Apple juice and butter, before that I used DR. Pepper.

Any left over injection gets used as a mop.

Redrock, BamaT and Hembree like this.
  16. DaltonGang

What is a "Modified Snake"???

BamaT likes this.
  17. DaltonGang

He is probably still to stuffed, to reach the keyboard. :rofl:

18. Hairy Alaskan

No complaints from the group except that no one could tell the difference between the two in flavor. Some of us did find the Hawaiian salt rubbed one to be more salty and tender. It was smaller so it took heat real well and became nice and tender. The other one was larger and I wasn’t able to get it up to temp until about 30 minutes before people arrived. It didn’t shred as easily.
    Everyone was happy. I just wish I had put them in the oven earlier in the morning Saturday to bring them back up to temp.

Redrock and Hembree like this.
  19. Hairy Alaskan

I am on day three eating leftover pulled pork. The wife is already getting tired of it and the kids won’t eat it so I need to step up and start consuming more. There are much worse problems to have.

Redrock, Hembree and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  20. DaltonGang

Deep Freeze. That is how I do it.

Redrock and Hembree like this.