P. Fritisse in Leopardwood

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by TestDepth, Jun 23, 2019.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Pierre Fritisse
    Veritable
    “Pour Barbe Dure”: For Tough Beards
    P. Fritisse was a razor maker from the Thiers region of France in the mid 1920’s through WWII.

This story actually starts with the leopardwood blanks. I wanted to use them with a razor, but I don’t think the look would go well with a colored resin, and it has a very straight grain.

Now the razor: purchased during my vintage French razor accumulation phase... okay, maybe that never ended. :)

1FEB2472-7AD9-47CB-BD37-3DC71D5B650E.jpeg

Purchased long enough ago where I only have this auction thumbnail as a Before pic. Scales kept it from closing, so removed them and put the blade away.

When I saw the leopardwood, I thought this blade shape might be the answer... so tried to recreate the shape from that picture.

658BE481-FDE5-4994-90B8-4E478A9BB855.jpeg

This started my longest project to date- on and off for about 2 months. I just wasn’t seeing the final razor, and the scale shape just didn’t look right.

1BB6C913-AEDF-46F6-8F7D-1F2C1D567FA9.jpeg

Be back shortly with how it turned out.
    Tom

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

That is certainly a very beautiful piece of wood!

TestDepth likes this.
  3. TestDepth

Tried a different finish than my usual super glue- Birchwood Casey’s Tru-Oil. Started this so long ago, I can’t remember exactly what grit I sanded the blanks to before I applied the first coat. I think it was 1000 grit.

What I do remember is that I gave each application 24 hours to dry and then sanded with 0000 steel wool. Not knowing just how far to go, I did about 7-8 applications.

When I mocked it up I figured why I didn’t like it... just too wide. So pulled the dremel back out and reshaped. Then more applications.

Here is the final shape:
    5CAE6849-7EAD-403F-A6EC-2C68DDD914A6.jpeg
    But I really like how it sits in the scales.
    F7414A28-5096-4562-9BFD-B8A485284B1B.jpeg
    I also had some fun with the wedge- shape and material. This is that synthetic turquoise.
    B7E2B2A2-01A3-4E85-AFC9-1C43F4D32E27.jpeg
    You can see I screwed up the drilling of the wedge pin. It’s somewhat low on the backside, but really low on this side... whoops. I almost threw them out. It did mess up the fitment, but the beauty of wood is you can adjust all that after pinning.
    Out came the dremel again :)
    271D7E4D-1364-4888-AA0F-FD6CB3CE6511.jpeg
    The wood is very dense and the Tru-Oil looked to absorb nicely, so no need to reapply any finish other than Renaissance Wax. I’m pretty happy with the post modification wedge end.
    One final glamour shot.
    3BFACCE6-D248-45B6-8F94-33A5053FEE75.jpeg
    Enjoy your projects.
    Tom

4. TestDepth

Thank you. It is very unique and dense enough to work as scales.

5. brit

brit in a box

very nice sir.. great job..

TestDepth likes this.
  6. TestDepth

Thank you Gary!

brit likes this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:happy096:

brit and TestDepth like this.