Preferred blade type

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Rkep01, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

Which type of blade do you prefer to use, especially when you want that extra-special shave? My preference, especially when I have a two or three-day growth, is one of my Sheffield wedges. I like using hollow-ground blades, too, but there is nothing more satisfying to me than using an extremely sharp 150 to 180-year-old piece of fine cutting steel.

2. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

I truly love the variety, but the “14” is my grind/shape of choice for something special.
    Tom

Karl G, Steve56 and Billyfergie like this.
  3. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Sharp is best...

;)

I tend to prefer my full hollow spikes.

Karl G, Steve56, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  4. basil

basil Well-Known Member

My special occasion or fancy razor is my Le grelot in ivory

6/8 blade in 3/4 hollow, its supposed to be round point but it’s got a tiny bit of a French point.

5A0C3560-586D-4F25-AF29-6F74D1614DFC.jpeg

Karl G, Steve56, brit and 3 others like this.
  5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    True Japanese Wa-Kamisori

[​IMG]

That is my goto for a Date Night Shave

I also enjoy the NY made extreme hollow grinds in the 6/8 ish size especially honed on the Shapton GS series to 30k

Like this Kinfolks

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Karl G, Steve56, brit and 6 others like this.
  6. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Love the Burma Shave brush in there, Glen. That's what I use too!

Karl G, gssixgun and Billyfergie like this.
  7. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Full Hollow Grinds..I have Both Light & Heavy Full Hollows for Heavy or Light Growth..30 Out My 32 Collection are Full Hollow Grinds..I Own One 3/4 Hollow & One 1/2 Hollow...:)

Billy..:chores016:

8. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Full hollow FW Engels with point. That blade has worked well for me. :)

Karl G, gssixgun, Steve56 and 3 others like this.
  9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Y/8 or 8/8 half hollow with a smile is my favorite.

10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Like Tom, I’m fairly eclectic, but a nice hollow Filly 14 is always good, as are the more hollow Japanese razors, usually 13/16, and the Swedish razors. I also very much like the French razors, rattlers, framebacks (old), and hollows, especially Le Grelot and Le Jaguar in the hollows. Except for the old French razors, the one thing they all have in common is that they are usually exceedingly well ground, and they all have excellent steel, especially the Swedish and Japanese razors.

Karl G, Keithmax, gssixgun and 2 others like this.
  11. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

Wow! An interesting response, so far. It seems that I'm the only one, at this point, who prefers a wedge. I also shave with hollows and get good shaves with them. Maybe my preference is because, for me, the weight of the wedge requires less effort, especially on a 2 or 3-day old beard.

12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I also prefer 6/8 full hollow. My favorite is a Thiers Issard that is ground so thin; you can hear the Velcro ripping sound in the other room. I had a very old wedge, but those thin grinds just shave so much closer.

Karl G, Montalvani, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  13. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

A three day beard means different things to different men. I have a Wade and Butcher wedge that I enjoy, but have not attempted to shave a beard with it.

14. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

My preferred blades are full hollow 4/8, 9/16 and 5/8. I do have a Swedish 9/16 quarter hollow I love. I haven’t found a steel I don’t like. Tomorrow’s shave will be 4/8 Puma - my sports car.

15. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

In general 6/8 -7/8 Full Hollow .But when I want something different an English Wedge is hard to beat .

16. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I was able to obtain a Salamander "Our Wedge" that sharpened up wonderfully. Steve suggested several American makers including Geneva and blade widths including a 4/8 that I now enjoy as much as the 15/16 #49 Herder. It's all good when you find a good vintage.

TestDepth, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  17. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I have 3 faves, my #49 Herder Ace of Spades, my vintage 15/16 Wosty near wedge and my 7/8 Friodur #17.

18. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

I like 4/8 full hollow, and 6/8 to half hollow, I have one wedge that i do not use coz i find it difficult, I will stay with mostly any hollow but will avoid wedges..I keep saying im going to sell it..,so i prolly will :)
    I think it is nr full wedge, ask fergiebilly...he honed it for me :)

Billyfergie and Trigger like this.
  19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Wedges aren't for everyone. I only have a couple I enjoy using. The rest get put on the backburner. They are perfectly sharp, just aren't as comfortable as a well honed full to extra hollow blade.

Billyfergie, brit and Trigger like this.
  20. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I don’t like stropping a wedge either.