What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

I only have the one photo of the Kamisori, the razor came in for honing from a UK forum member, a modern custom Japanese made Kamisori excellent steel including perfect edge geometry, not all Kamisori razors have good edge geometry especially when they mess up the omote side that's what often causes geometry problems.

nos-large-8-inoue-tosuke-kamisori_1_d98bc145af5413df6a3bbb5d0f095d27.jpg
    nos-large-8-inoue-tosuke-kamisori_1_d98bc145af5413df6a3bbb5d0f095d27b.jpg

2. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Awesome stuff. I have a folding kami and I think I need to get a few more lol

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

How many layers of tape did you use. The bevel says possibly 2??

4. Jamie Mahoney

Only one layer I cover the Omote and the spine, the geometry is completely different from a western style razor, you will need to first sort out your Omote before you set the bevel, that dictates how even your bevel will be, our very own Glen has a nice video explaining this perfectly.

5. DaltonGang

Oh, i was just making an observation, based on the drastic differences in the double bevel, on that Kami.

6. DaltonGang

Joseph Rodgers & Sons
    "The Hamburg Ring"
    Cutlers To Their Majesties
    No5 Norfolk Street, England.
    11/16th Full Hollow

This one needed very little work. There was little wear on it, and little corrosion. It all polished out quickly, except a very tiny crack at the end of the toe. It was easily worked out, with little effort. The rest was an interesting honing job. I tries two different hones, to see which I liked as a finisher. I settled on a Welsh Slate, rated at around 15k, and helped along with a couple of Japanese Nagura. This sped things up. After some work on the Arkie SB, it was a very wicked hair popper. Very smooth shave with it after.

P6221014.JPG

Frijolero, Keithmax, Timwcic and 7 others like this.
  7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

4E7FAC0E-05CF-4DAC-8E49-0DB858F842D4.jpeg

Following Scott here with another razor that needed very little work, a 4/8 Challenge Cutlery Blue Steel. What a relief after that old French razor! This is one of the razors that came in the French razor box, and coincidentally, Challenge Cutlery was in Nashville, TN, over ‘the hill’ from me in Knoxville. It’s likely a Case/Kinfolks judging by the tang stamp style and the once-blued tang and spine.

I did the bevel set - more like renewing flat bevels - on a 4k Shapton Pro with very few strokes, then a fast Aiiwatani kiita and a ‘your guess is as good as mine’ finisher. I did a little trim work with it this morning and it worked very well. A 4/8 can get into small corners and spaces.

8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

BE6A2890-C94A-4466-ADC5-8D6D8A1E85F1.jpeg

Continuing to test this little beauty of a blue-green asagi with several Nakayama ‘tells’. Razor is my user grade Hayashi and the HHT was impressive - I’ll find out tomorrow how smooth that edge is.

9. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Refreshed a Louis Perlmann aka louPer on a mystery stone that I feel has French pedigree. Come out scary sharp but a slice short of a full loaf in smoothness

3A6F8EC3-2F2C-4BF2-912C-6A1A1351533A.jpeg

10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

And.... Inquiring minds want to know!

TestDepth and Billyfergie like this.
  11. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

This is a strange mystery gray rock. It measures 2x5x15/16. It has a heavy chamfer on three sides. One end was butchered cutting off a piece. One side is suffering from a bad case of bread-knifing. It has the weird, glazed, dipped in chocolate feel to it. It is unlabeled so all guess work, I think it is a Pierre la Lune or a stone closely related.
    Some pictures as found and last lapped to 600 grit

97F8F9D7-77DF-4305-AFAF-B25A9BC8D3C2.jpeg 245E0331-9E16-4E4C-91CB-64488FE8CE34.jpeg CF3A22E9-1D80-4D2B-86D8-CB71BA495C00.jpeg 15D26103-F792-4F0C-B3B2-E8ADFD34D4D0.jpeg 74A232B0-F7E6-4A0C-B251-282C7791F0FB.jpeg ADA150DE-B291-4379-B4C6-4B74E0BDF0EB.jpeg

12. brit

brit in a box

cool razor sir..

Timwcic, Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  13. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Time to pull out the Translucent Ark... can’t say this rock and I get along... yet.

Naniwa 1/4/8/12k. Have a little SS, Hyabusa & Snow White in that mix. :)
    Then took it to the Ark. Tonight I treated it like most other stones. Hit it with a worn DMT325 & water, but did add some Smith’s water soluble honing solution. But after that just added water. Who knows??? It was silently popping hairs after stropping... maybe I had a small breakthrough.
    D245C75C-E3C8-425D-B23A-ECE95578235B.jpeg
    Sure is pretty though.
    Happy honing.
    Tom

14. Jamie Mahoney

Three on the stones today, the B. Winks is freshly honed and off to its new owner, been a pleasure knowing you, Mr Winks.[​IMG]

DSC_0094.JPG

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Frijolero, Keithmax, brit and 4 others like this.
  15. DaltonGang

Tell us about those two hones, in the picture.

16. Jamie Mahoney

That's my 20K Suehiro Gokumyo, and the other is my Atoma lapping plate.

17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

BC15177E-073A-431C-8B4B-E9C96D58B221.jpeg

Touched up two this evening, my modified Henckles 472 and my French Gauthier rattler. The Friodur is a travel razor, but I take them out and shave with them at home once in a while and usually end up touching them up on spent slurry from honing another razor, in this case the Gauthier.

18. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

8E68D901-8B94-4771-923B-7F3061F7F333.jpeg

This is a more ‘getting ready to hone’ post than a honing one, but here’s a tip for those cleaning up thinly ground razors. My ‘new’ MK 32 is is fine shape, but has a little tarnish near the edge. You can damage a thin razor with too much pressure even by hand, so it’s best to support that super thin steel we like to shave with so much. Here I’m using a hard rubber jeweler’s block that is also a stand for barber-size hones. The steel is flat on the block, so I can apply some pressure without worry. Same for sanding. You could also use a flat piece of wood or cutting board.

It’s also safer. Even a dull straight razor is sharper than most knives, and linear motions along the edge can quickly go bad - using a support makes it very unlikely that you’ll cut yourself, at least not badly.

Mission accomplished BTW.

Frijolero, brit, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

A149F6CA-7A26-4ECD-AAA0-C269BC0EB6F3.jpeg

Cordonnier à Orleans 13/16 rattler/faux frameback arrived today, and I wanted my own edge. Typical hard French steel that many of us love. It had been honed with electrical tape and eventually I’ll hone it sans tape, but for now to keep extra wear off, 1 layer of 1 mil Kapton. Next time around, no tape. Cordonnier means ‘cobbler’ or ‘shoe repair person’ and why this razor is named ‘cobbler in Orleans’ is anyone’s guess.

Progression was 1k and 4k Shapton Glass, Aiiwatani transition and diamond plate slurry, then dull egg kiita finisher with tomo. Shave tomorrow, I think.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    TestDepth, brit, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  20. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Several questions were posed about this Damascus razor, but I was out of town and didn’t have the information in front of me. Now that I’m back home I can tell you the razor is in an ALE, made by an artisan out of Toronto. He is well regarded in Canada and there are a few YouTube reviews of some of his blades. Again, I got this one shave ready, but not as wickedly sharp as I’d like. I’m wondering what kind of finisher I should try after a 12K Naniwa. Any suggestions? Shapton 20? Pasted balsa? Thoughts?

Keithmax, TestDepth, basil and 2 others like this.