What’s Your Favorite Finisher?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by BaylorGator, Jun 29, 2019.

1. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I currently use a synthetic progression up to a Naniwa 12K, and then strop on linen/leather. All my blades come out “shave ready”, but some blades come out wickedly sharp while others I’d characterize as just sharp. So.. I’m looking for a finisher (or finishing method) to try and take it to the next level and bring a wickedly sharp/smooth edge to all my blades.
    Suggestions? What works for you? What’s your favorite finisher or finishing method?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  2. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

After my 12k Shapton, I use a 16k Shapton glass then finish off with 50k lapping film. The edge looks like a mirror when looking at it under magnification. More importantly, I get butter smooth shaves from this method without paste and linen until about the 5th or 6th shave, then I touch up with .25 diamond spray on felt.

3. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

my lower progression changes

finishing :
    500 grit finished trans ark/ surgical black
    polished convex trans ark

post finish:
    diamond pasted balsa .50 micron
    diamond pasted balsa .25 micron
    diamond pasted balsa .1 micron
    leather bench strop skin side sanded
    leather bench strop

if edge is too sharp and uncomfortable i go back to trans ark for a few laps to get back to buttah

4. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

I have the shaptons 1-16k ... in my opinion 30k is overkill. 16k leaves quite the aggressive feel on the edge already so I could only imagine what the 30 can do. Anyhow I barely use my Synthetics I like to use either my Ozuku, Okutuno, or Nakayama beautiful edges off the Nakayama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I keep saying the same thing :)

"You are going to be hard pressed to beat the Naniwa SS 12k for any amount of money"

The truth of the matter is:

90% of the work is done in the bevel set
    another 8-9% is done in the Sharpening and Polishing stages
    But damn we all spend our money, and argue about that last 1% or so the most :p

What a crazy hobby we have chosen

Hone On Gents !!!

ps: Those words "Wickedly Sharp and Smooth" suggests you are about to spend serious money and time learning about the oh so deep rabbit hole of Japanese Naturals :D

6. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Agree with Glen, but the OP has a fair question.

While the quality of the edge is determined early on by the stones doing the bevel set and midrange, the feel of the edge is pretty much determined by the finisher. I don’t think anyone would dispute that jnat, thuri, coti, and synth edges feel a little different.

It reminds me of cigars, the binder and filler are 98% of the cigar, yet the wrapper determines a great deal of the taste - cameroon is different from Connecticut shade which is different from sun grown Honduran and so on.

If you want to try a jnat for return postage Randy, I can probably find something in the flower bed that would work for you, lol.

7. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

That’s a great offer, Steve. I’ve been avoiding the naturals because 1) I haven’t used one before and 2) I know, as Glen says, it will lead to me down another rabbit hole, with me spending money all the way, chasing that last 1%... So what the hey, let’s do it. :happy088:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Lol, let me see what I have....

9. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Right now I like to finish on Thuringian followed by .5 and .3 film followed by diamond. This seems to provide the more comfortable and effective sharpness that I need.

10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Do you think that there’s anything left of a ‘Thuri’ edge after 3 tiers of synths?

Billyfergie, gssixgun and Leclec13 like this.
  11. basil

basil Well-Known Member

I used a coti for years to finish and I was quite happy. Sharp smooth shaves, but I decided to try a jnat to see if I could get anything more. Jnat was sharper but was a little straight forward to get there.

12. Chuck Naill

Perhaps I am wrong, but I consider any previous stones or films as a part of a process to prepare the metal for the final stropping. For example, if I was asked if there is anything left of the 12 mu film, the answer is that that film just represents a part of the process.

I've tried to shave off a Thuringian edge, off a Coticule edge. I can do it, but the edge is not as effective for my hair type. Using a less effective blade means I have to go over the same area more times whereas with a 200,000 grit edge, fewer strokes are needed.

13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

200,000 GRIT edge??? That's a Bad Ass Stone. :D

14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Shapton glass 16k is my favorite finishing stone, then I use CrOx and FeO3 both on linen.

15. Chuck Naill

TechDiamondTools Diamond Lapidary Paste 200,000 Grit 0-0.1 Micron for Finest Mirror Finish 5 Gram Syringe, (H) 50% Concentration of Diamond Powder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I5B1JY2/?tag=thshde-20

Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Chuck Naill likes this.
  17. Leclec13

I use same paste for pasting my balsa strop.
    How are you using the paste?

Edison Carter and Chuck Naill like this.
  18. Chuck Naill

I apply very small dots to balsa wood and distribute with finger tip.

19. Leclec13

I use same technique diamond pasted balsa
    .5u. .25u .1u progression
    Was curious if you were using it on a stone

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Edison Carter and Chuck Naill like this.
  20. Chuck Naill

I've tried to shave off Thuringian. It very possible, but the 200K edge gets more done with fewer strokes and thus less discomfort.