What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Felt like experimenting a little today. I did some bevel setting with the 30 micro film followed by 12Mu and 9Mu. From there I took the edge to the Coticule with a slurry progression. Did circles and x's til clear followed by under dripping water. Did the same with a Thuringian. Then stropped diamond on balsa followed by linen and horse on the #50 Illinois. I did a cheek shave WTG and ATG. The razor appears to be shave ready. We will see tomorrow AM. I'll do a Daily Double with another Salamander in my collection with a concave grind. This one today was referred to as Our Wedge. Both are 5/8.
    Salamander Wedge Hone.jpg

Frijolero, Paul76, Steve56 and 5 others like this.
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Touch up time, Shapton Glass 16k, CrOx then FeO3. Bevels are shiny and everyone is popping arm hair.

Silverloaf, Drew Dick (going to a new home), Koraat and Ed Brice.

ID - 1 (1).jpg

Frijolero, Paul76, Steve56 and 6 others like this.
  3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

6AF09B41-0BE4-4D16-990C-7B53EBAC89E2.jpeg

Just foolin’ around today. This is a fast stone that I usually use as a pre-finisher, probably an Aiiwatani. It’s a pale blond, so pale that it almost qualifies as ‘habutae’ the color of the off white kimono silk.

I was refreshing my Leon Pelleray, Paris frameback and noticed that the bevel was picking up an impressive polish off the diamond plate slurry, so I did not go to one of the usual finishers, but rinsed the stone and razor well and gave it 20 very light clear water strokes. HHT was fine, but Aiiwatani aren’t my usual choice to finish a razor, they just never seemed quite as fine as other mines. But all mines produced some great stones, so tomorrow will tell.

4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

977EA7C9-796C-4B2E-B050-97FA85E1646E.jpeg

This one’s just a touch up, a 6/8 West Side Grinding Co ‘Lucky Strike’. It reminded me of Tom’s ‘Lucky 7’. It’s a nice old German-made hollow, shaves very well indeed, although it could use some stabilizer relief when I get around to it.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  5. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Thank you, it is a looker

6. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

First off, rookie in training here.

This particular Sunday Shaver has never performed quite as well as my first one. Good shaves, I just have the point of reference that it can be better.

In the past, I've lightly touched it up on a Naniwa 12k, but it needed more, so I took some time too work on it.

Stayed on the same stone, practicing light and consistent slightly rolling x's until I thought I was feeling a consistent drag like sensation through the stroke.

I recently acquired some CBN abrasive emulsions to try. So I sprayed up 3 fresh balsa strops with the .5, .25, and the .1 micron versions. Moderate work on each, then to the mounted roo strop for about 20. Then about 20 on hanging leather.

Around here, I have never been successful in performing the HHT with any consistently meaningful result (even with a feather de in a shavette). But for what it is worth, I was able to get passes on this test (as consistently as I ever have anyhow).

To the shave test. With out a doubt, this is the best shaving edge I've accomplished to date. The razor shaves easily but in the end, lacked the smooth feel of it's twin. Maybe a little time stropping on leather is needed.

I do have a question. On the shave tests of my honing adventures I seem to sense that razors are a little more smooth shaving on one side over the other. Is this unique? Is it possible that I am creating this, and if so what could I be doing wrong?

20190630_155312.jpg

Did use the Et Tu, which I love.

Frijolero, Keithmax, brit and 4 others like this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

My only suggestions would be to lighten up, on all the pasted strops. Also, take it to a clean linen strop, and do about 50-75 strokes. Then, 75-100 strokes on the leather. You dont need a real tight strop, leave a little slack. When stropping, use a very light touch. this should get you popping any hair. If this doesnt work, then start looking at the sharpness, on each stage of your stone progressions.

8. Edison Carter

Will give it a shot. Thanks for the advice. Might be that I need to increase the volume. Maybe today.

Do you find linen superior to other woven media?

I did not run a progession here.

The HHT has never been reliable for me. Probably the stock availabile domestically. My hair short & thin, kind of runs away on the blade. The supply from the maternal estrogen unit is thick and wavy, even though it lacks rigidly it is usually where I go for donations. The eldest offsprung estrogen unit supplies samplings much like the testosterone unit, but longer. The younger estrogen unit would probably be best if I could have gotten vintage samplings. Today is has been processed enough that a finger flick passes the HHT. I avoid the importation of hair samplings from other sources to counter the possibility of war amongst the hormone units.

I think I recall on one of Lynn Abrams vids, him evaluating with his finger pads. I do that with knives, but the same on razors seemed a little risky. I'll probably revisit the video though.

9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Typically I Get an SR Shaving Arm Hair from the 1 K Bevel Hone...From Toe to Heel...:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

10. DaltonGang

I use an Illinois 827 strop, Linen and leather. The Leather is rough, compared to others out there, and a little slower. It was my first, and I still use it. .

Frijolero, TestDepth and Billyfergie like this.
  11. Edison Carter

Shaving or Tree topping?

Billyfergie likes this.
  12. Edison Carter

I have a 127 w/linen. I'll give it a try. Thx.

Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  13. Billyfergie

Usually Shaving..Some Steel Takes More of a Definitive Edge from the 1 K Hone than Others...:angelic007:

Billy..

Edison Carter likes this.
  14. DaltonGang

C-MON "Blackie"
    by Peter J. Michel's
    Solingen Germany

This was a newly acquired and restored blade. And an absolutely easy razor to hone, from the beginning, to the end. The finishers were Welsh Slate stones, with Nagura Slurry stones, and a JNAT, with a very fine Nagura . Then topped off with an Arkansas Surgical Black. This razor was popping hairs, from the 1k on. Very very sharp. Gave a fabulous shave, tonight.

P6301049.JPG

Frijolero, Steve56, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  15. DaltonGang

Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co.
    "1835"
    Germany

Another restore job, but not as extensive as P6301048.JPG the C-Mon. The heel had corrosion, when looked at, under magnification. After taking care of that, the rest of the honing went easily. Tree topping at every stage. I kind of like stropping this one, because of the pointed spine, diamond shaped. For some reason, it just felt different, but better. Exceptionally sharp edge, after honing. Same progression as above.

16. basil

basil Well-Known Member

This folding kamisori grind razor arrived today. No bevel on it so took it to a synthetic to set it. Took my time and went slow to make sure I got it right. Will take it to the jnat to finish polishing it.
    C60C0A79-0762-4A27-A4F2-946B72CF9186.jpeg

17. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just Honed My NOS Otto Deutsch's Hans Solingen 6/8th...Its a Big Blade for a 6/8th & it Looks Like it Was Made Just this Morning...Its a Factory Fresh Minter..A Rarity...Honed on a Naniwa Super Stone Progression & Finished on a 17 K Escher Thuri..Very Easy to Hone & Ground as Straight as an Arrow..1st Rate Factory Grinding..:D

Billy..:chores016:

18. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

A little late Friday honing...
    Geo. Wostenholm & Son’s
    Started synthetic with the Suehiro 1&6k stones. Then turned to the combo with a couple rounds of slurry, finishing on the bout.
    We shall see how I did today. :)
    33946954-65DD-4D30-A5D6-FEE5A23FBA74.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

19. brit

brit in a box

cool razor sir..

20. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Thanks Gary! It is hilarious just how many letters they could fit on this small blade.