Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary Shaving Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Michael_W, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I was gifted this at Christmas time along with the companion after shave balm (really a lotion or splash), and I have to say, the Italians really know their stuff when it comes to soap-making! The scent is light and citrus, crisp, clean-smelling. Overall, if I could describe the scent profile, it would be like freshly washed linen sheets hung out to dry in the open air.

I usually rotate this on Sundays with other soaps in my collection such as Dr. Jon's, Razorock, Spice Islands, Colonel Conk, and any of my shave sticks (I have an Arko, a Derby, and two Palmolive I managed to grab up on sale). This means that it should last a loooong time before I have to replace it.

Who else has used this? What was your experience with it?

Yehuda D, PLANofMAN, KUSTOM and 2 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

i have their felce soap..fantastic stuff..

PLANofMAN and DesertTime like this.
  3. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I recently finished a tin of 70th anniversary soap and I'm now on a Beta 4.3 soap. SV is my favorite soap, by far. It lather's quickly -- even with my extremely hard water -- producing a thick, cushioning, slick lather. If you're looking for the hottest scent du jour, look elsewhere. Their scents are uniquely their own, not clones of past popular scents.

While it is expensive, it's not as expensive as it appears. It comes in a 5.3 ounce (15o G) milled puck that lasts.

Yehuda D, KUSTOM, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  4. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Love me some SV and 70th is one of my favorites from them. Great scent, great soap, and the aftershaves are top notch.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Felce Aromatica is top notch. It's like they took english fern, and then added moss...and a forest.

I sniffed the 70th anniversary soap at Maggard's when I visited that store and I remember I didn't like it. I don't remember what it smelled like. Maybe like a Bounce dryer sheet?

I do agree that SV makes some of the best milled shave soap out there.

6. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Never used the shaving soap (Jeysus, the price of the stuff!) But the bar soaps are fantastic.

7. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

SV is a wonderful soap. One of my favourites. Top quality and nice scent. What more can you ask for? I wasnt too keen on the balm/splash, I didn't like the fragrance.

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It's not actually more expensive than most other soaps. It's quad milled if I remember right, so you are paying for actual soap, not water weight. Stuff lasts forever.

...and yes, it will always be way more expensive than Arko or Williams.

9. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I'm gonna back you up on this. S.V. is milled hard, much like Tabac and Mitchell's, so for the money shelled out up front, you will get a product that lasts long enough you're getting your money's worth out of it.

PLANofMAN, Frijolero and brit like this.
  10. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Also, it's a 5.3 oz puck of milled soap, which is huge. One drawback is it will not fit in most soap containers, wood, metal or ceramic.

If you compare it to another excellent veggie-based soap, like PAA's CK6 formula, which is 5 oz of poured soap for $25, it's really in line with the finer soaps cost wise.

PLANofMAN, Frijolero and Michael_W like this.