Gillette Adjustable Razor Reference Website

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GlennConti, Jul 11, 2019.

1. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

Hello all...

I have been working on my website recently and have launched a new version that is better organized and is much more mobile friendly. If you were unaware of it, it is a FREE reference resource on all the Gillette Adjustable razors from 1955 to 1988.

The new site is currently running in conjunction with the old site. The new site is temporarily located at:

www.gilletteadjustable.org

while the old site is at:

www.gilletteadjustable.com

If you would like to give me any feedback on the new site, PLEASE DO! It is currently in BETA version, but works pretty well.

Thank you,

--Glenn Conti

Leclec13, EDC, brit and 4 others like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You know what was very useful that is missing in new site is the information on the gap measurements on each setting for the razors. Guys use those to check theirs or to size up the settings to try to match something like a Super Speed.

Also a more complete reference on gaps would be needed since the old site didn't have measurements for all the variants.

EDC and Hembree like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Nvm I found the gaps under misc. The comment on expanding the table stands i.e. settings for each razor shown in the family photos. The table should have gap settings for example for all 5 types of Super Adjustables.

Having owned and shaved both a Super 84 and all 4 of those other Super 109 razors if they were gaped the same they should shave the same and they don't. I found all the 109s to be the same though.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Hembree likes this.
  4. GlennConti

Thank you. Point taken! I was thinking about that very thing when I was redoing it. I have the razors and the feeler gauges so I will do it! :)

Hembree likes this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

One other thing on that table to make it easier to follow. Maybe use the family pictures and number each one, add a number field to the table then reorder the table with by the numbers in associated with each razor.

Hembree likes this.
  6. GlennConti

Ha ha! I even have multiple NOS versions of all the Super Adjustables. I am seriously considering taking one for the team and opening up some of those bad boys to get the best possible results.

RyX and Hembree like this.
  7. GlennConti

Okay sounds good!

8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

One last thing on that table do consider the N3 Slim with the Super Adjustable head unique enough to add it as it's own separate entry in the gap table? I would be surprised if you didn't own one to take the measurements.

The only other thing I could see possibly expanding on besides the tables is maybe a more detailed or complete description of the type of sets/cases and retail packaging for guys who collect that sort of thing besides the razors. I haven't read through the sections for each razor so if it is already there disregard this. I has been awhile since I've looked at your old site and just don't remember if you went into the same detail for packaging as you do the razors themselves.

9. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Two things:

1. Let Mr Razor know so he can update his link.

2: It really only focuses on US razors. I like seeing the regional variations and packages which pop up on the bay. It would be nice to have a section for that.
    3. Superb effort. Great site

10. GlennConti

Yes I do try to cover the packaging too. I don't have the N-3 Slim but a very good friend of mine does. I will see if he will lend it to me so I can take some measurements. If it is the same or very similar to another, I may just foot note the table and not provide a separate row.

11. GlennConti

Thank you. I will remove the old site and keep both URL's to point at the new site once I get more feedback. Then I will take it out of BETA. This way any links out there still will work.

RyX and BlueShaver like this.
  12. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Saw this. Thought of you.

13. GlennConti

Thanks! I just hope this website is of use to people. I get like 150 people per day coming to it. Again, to all... anything that I am missing? Let me know.

brit and BlueShaver like this.
  14. EDC

EDC Active Member

Outstanding work Sir. Your website is what inspired me to try a vintage adjustable Gillette DE razor. Now I own a birth year Slim (M1) and after spending some time dialing in the right setting for my face and technique it has become my favorite razor.
    And it’s all your fault!
    Thank you Sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  15. GlennConti

Thanks so much my friend. Haha. Don't blame me if you get RAD later. :)
    PS... I like the new site enough to have taken it out of BETA. The new site is at www.gilletteadjustable.com

EDC and brit like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

very cool site sir..

17. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Awesome! U Da Man

18. GlennConti

Thanks guys. I just spent a good deal of time re-doing the "Taxonomy" section of the website after I realized it just wasn't up to snuff. Here are some graphics I added....

Hierarchy.jpg

GilletteAdjTaxonomy.jpg

http://gilletteadjustable.com/home/razor-taxonomy/

Rev579 and brit like this.
  19. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

20. GlennConti

I need to think about that more. Good suggestion.