Best razor for around the nose?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by davidsalata, Jun 20, 2019.

1. davidsalata

davidsalata New Member

Thick heads like the Parker OC and Muhle OC have always given me trouble (cuts and irritation) under and around the nose. I really like the Merkur OC and RazoRock SLOC for this but I especially like the PAA Ascension for under and around the nose. It’s the best I’ve used so far. Short handles like the Magyars MRT really help to get into tricky spots. What are some of your favorite razors for shaving under the nose?
    [​IMG]

brit likes this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Granted this has never been a concern of mine because I've had a mustache since I graduated high school at 17 yrs. old. And since growing a goatee a couple of years ago, a Schick injector has always been great at trimming around it. With it's smaller profile head, to me it would seem a good choice for under the nose.

americanshamrock and brit like this.
  3. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

My 1955 Red Tip Superspeed, or my Gillette Slim Adjustable. The slimmer heads fit perfectly between my upper lip and nose.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Shaver X and brit like this.
  4. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Any of my Gillette Adjustable's or Weber PH are my favorite DE razors, but any razor I use is right for me shaving the upper lip. I shave against the grain, so it's an up stroke, at a slight angle.
    My son shaves with WTG and he uses a Gillette Super Adjustable. When he shaves around the nose he goes across the grain.

5. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

For me, a Gillette Old Type open comb or the later Gillette NEWs both long comb or short comb are much easier to use under the nose than any other razor I own. The Old Type is probably the absolute best.

brit likes this.
  6. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

MicroMatic for me. If it is a DE, then the slim adjustable. The head is a bit less bulky and fits in better.

Tallships and brit like this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Great post.... they can lock the thread now.

Killerflyingbugs, brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  8. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

For me....the ER Lather Catcher is the easiest to shave around my nose.

I have no problem with any razor I have... but the ER LC is "Stupid" easy!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Terry and brit like this.
  9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I find straights are the best for this task. I can use a steep angle to get right under my nose and I finish with the fools pass which is south to north.

Trigger likes this.
  10. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

The Gillette brass or aluminum Techs have very thin heads and are the best razors I have used to reach the nooks under my nose.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Enrico, Terry, Shaver X and 1 other person like this.
  11. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Depends on the size of your nose.:think002:

Terry, Shaver X and brit like this.
  12. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

For me, it is the Gillette Slim adjustable. When I got the Slim, nearly 10 years ago, they were more highly regarded than the Gillette 195 (aka Fatboy) for that reason. The lower profile head was seen as better for hard to reach spots.

Tallships and brit like this.
  13. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

In 1963 the Gillette Slim was the cats meow of the shaving world. Loved it then, still love it today. Then in 68 or 69 the Super Adjustable came out, another very popular razor. But no mater what razor you use to shave around the nose or upper lip, (a thinner head may help) if you don't have the right technique, a better or different razor woun't help.

Terry, Shaver X and brit like this.
  14. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

If you are using a DE safety, then you need to angle the head such that the corner is under the nostril. Also, my buddy, Keithmax is right when he says that a straight razor gets that area the best. I know because I am primarily a straight shaver.

brit likes this.
  15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've never had an issue with any razor under the nose, but I always use the "suicide stroke" (blade toward nose) and blade buff carefully right under the nostrils, I shave WTG everywhere else.

16. Trigger

I know it as fool's pass. I never heard it called suicide stroke. Thanks for the new term.

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Injectors and open blades.

Trigger and brit like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

and techs..

Trigger likes this.
  19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    And this is the first time I've heard it called the "fool's pass." I'm guessing fool's pass is a more recent term, since "pass" is shaving forum jargon.

RyX and Trigger like this.
  20. Trigger

Wow, we both learned something! Peace out!

RyX and PLANofMAN like this.