July 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Jun 30, 2019.

?

With all of the freedom in July, how will you be shaving?

1. With straights. Because I'm a real man.

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. With DE's. Because I'm a real man.

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. With SE's. Because I'm a real man.

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  4. With pain sticks. Because I'm a real real man.

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. With a combination of the above. Because I'm the realest man of all.

14 vote(s)
    35.0%
  6. And yes - I will be joining on Cinco de Julio. Because I'm a real brave man.

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  7. And no - I will not be joining on Cinco de Julio. Because I'm a real smart man.

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
  8. Can I please just have my cookies now? Seriously. I'm hungry. With ice cream.

16 vote(s)
    40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Looking good Danny. :happy096:

Hembree, RyX, brit and 3 others like this.
  2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Terry.

Hembree, brit, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Catching up on The Chatter. You guys are doing good while Neal is away. Unhijakable as ever!
    Sounds like Mrs76 and my Ex might be cousins. Mine grew up in West Virginia where the majority of water towers are just a tank setting on a hilltop. When I took her away from all that Appalachian culture she saw here first tank on stilts and asked what it was. Nonchalantly I replied "water tower". The look of confusion begged explanation. Gave her the brief understanding about water pressure, downhill flow, etc. One day while riding with her and the kids I spotted a water tower up ahead, pointed it out, and giggled. Caught the scornful eyeroll from her, but now the kids wanted to know why water towers were funny.
    One of our Resident Chemists might confirm or deny my understanding? Lead & acid batteries have a limited number of discharge/recharge cycles before the plates thin out, warp, or loose function? The warranties are set to prorate or drop about the same time normal use craters the battery. A seldom discharged battery can outlive the warranty especially if kept charged up.

4. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Charlie, I am curious. What are your shaving soaps that you use?

wristwatchb, Paul76, Hembree and 5 others like this.
  5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Very nice Charlie.

wristwatchb, Hembree, RyX and 4 others like this.
  6. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Yes, there is a life expectancy in car batteries and the manufacturers have them made to live past the warranty. Batteries generally have about a 4 -5 yr lifetime.

wristwatchb, Paul76, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  7. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

To lop those camping whiskers off before church this morning:
    Rocket
    Feather (1)
    Speick stick
    Plissoft
    Chatillon Lux Delor de Treget toner

WP_20190714_12_39_25_Pro.jpg

AlDm, FaceScraper, b1hart and 16 others like this.
  8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I don't see how many of the artisans stay in business. In the beginning I was satisfied to just get a good lather out of the soap. Most soaps are very similar in performance. It is really just splitting hairs to rank most of them. My expectations have increased a lot over the last 6 years. I am slowly but surely rotating to soaps I truly like and adding an occasional new one to try out.

9. ghostlife

Laphroaig and Ardbeg are my favourite distilleries. If you like Islays, Bowmore is also great. I don't drink Lagavulin anymore as I try not to support megacorps like Diageo

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

I recall my grandparents and how their children had to handle the geriatric issues. Like you Danny my parents are about the same age. Mom's blind in one eye and may loose her driving privileges soon. Dad's better since going on dialysis but not a sharp as he once was. I dread the day I have to move in and become caretaker.
    Terry - there's always alternatives when Gumbo's cooking. Maybe use corn starch as a thickening agent? A drop or six of liquid smoke for that browned flour taste?
    I can't make a small gumbo so "mess" qualifies. Been running the veggies through the Osterizer with enough soup stock to liquefy into a veggie smoothie before cooking. Gets all the flavors going the first time it's served rather than the more full flavor encountered the next day. Also keeps the kids from picking out the green things they'd rather not eat. After the second time a gumbo is served the remnants are frozen. A quick thawing, toss in more meat because folks dredge for it, and instant gumbo!

11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great looking shave. :happy088:

Trigger, Hembree, RyX and 3 others like this.
  12. ghostlife

I have a sample of that soap on the way with the AS in my wishlist if the scent is as good as I expect. Haven't tried any Mickey Lee products yet but I like their ingredients lists.

Sorry folks I'm catching up the thread backwards :innocent

13. ghostlife

You guys and your big V8s... my Honda has their "big block" engine but being as it's Honda it's a 2.2L i4 :happy102:

WP_20180731_19_42_41_Pro.jpg

AlDm, FaceScraper, b1hart and 13 others like this.
  14. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thanks amigo! :happy088:

Trigger, Hembree, jluc and 3 others like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

well folks, after some great thought i have figured out some favorites..razor wise vintage gillettes of course ,but the ones i go back to the most are the open comb ones, new rfb,new sc and the sheraton..flat bottom techs and the hybrid a close second, rockets/crats/superspeeds at third..i like the slimmer head profiles of the 3 piece razors.brushes- all of them have their place so no real favorite, looks maybe the opal..classy looking.soaps and creams- ariana and evans, barrister and man, stirling are my top 3 fancy soaps..sv,klar,pre de provence for hard soaps ,and for creams --proraso tubes ,saponificio bignoli,tobs ..i have quite a few others as well that i like though i use them less often..according to ebay blade purchases i bought my first astra blades around this time in 2016 .so 3 years in ..my sad ,rad,and bad's are finally tapering off ..there are other things i will try in future but not just to have them..restocks for the most part..thank you all for your parts in this..been a blast so far..to the future gentlemen ..cheers..:eatdrink047::eatdrink047:
    ps.. thought i shave almost daily now.a feat i have never been able to do in 35+ years..i still get a better shave if i wait a day ..

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    AlDm, FaceScraper, b1hart and 12 others like this.
  16. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

July 14, 2019- Belated Birthday Shave

Razor: G3 Gillette Aristocrat Adjustable (6)
    Blade: X3 Gilette Spoiler (5)
    Brush: Vintage Badger Travel Brush
    Soap: Mystery Cup o'Soap Pieces

Friday was my birthday, but today was my fist shave since before then so this is my belated birthday shave. Of course, it would only be appropriate to use my BQ razor- a G3 Gold Slim, a long-ago PIF from @Norcalnewb.

The brush for today is a vintage Badger (I assume) travel brush from a recent acquisition. The handle/case is a bit rough but the knot is in surprisingly good shape. I'd previously cleaned and presoaked it, so I figured it was time to give it a go. It shed a couple of hairs in the soap cup (less than the modern "Pure Badger" knot in my 30DC brush) and a few more on my face but not anything unreasonable. It is a decently soft brush and made a decent lather from the softish soap in the cup.

I ran the Slim one click higher than normal given the beard growth but noticed no aggression with the Spoiler. Two passes to a very pleasant BBS with no issues.
    IMG_0510.jpg

17. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks Rick
    I've tried different stuf. There is a flour that makes great sausage gravy and I have no issues with it. But making roux is a long process and haven't went there yet because of time. But soon.
    tp

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Belated Happy Birthday

Trigger, RyX, John Ruschmeyer and 2 others like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

just replaced the battery in my 09 mustang gt.it has just over 58000 km or 36000 miles on it..original battery..

b1hart, Edison Carter, PLAla and 8 others like this.
  20. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Nice shave John
    Turn that slim to 9, it runs great there.
    Or not.
    tp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.