Any love for vintage shave soap? (With bonus quiz)

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by BlueShaver, Jul 14, 2019.

1. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

I love vintage shave soaps. They are perhaps my best performing soaps and when compared to modern products, they can be good vfm.

What vintage soaps do you have and what are your thoughts?

Bonus question:
    What is the vintage soap in this picture that i had an utterly glorious shave with tonight?

[​IMG]

2nd bonus question: Can you name the razor?

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've had the pleasure to enjoy vintage Williams Shave Stick, and Colgate Cup Soap. The Williams is so dry I can scrape powdered soap off to make a lather. Had to cut up the Colgate and hot water melt it to mold into an Old Spice mug so I could get it to load well. The outside of the puck had hardened or oxidized stored in the original cardboard box.

Still looking for a puck of Shulton Old Spice or Menthol Williams soap at a decent price. For the $25 sellers want on ebay I'll just order two modern soaps. I did that for the Stirling Spice - OS dupe and it's great.

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

My oldest is Klar, 35 plus years old. Very little scent, almost non-existent, but still performs great.

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I have heard a lot of love for vintage. One day I might even be able to get a chance to try out one. Love hearing about others' experience with them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I've only used the Burma Shave soap once, but really like it.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm going to make a random guess at the shave stick, Erasmic?
    The razor I'm going to say is most likely a Gillette Rocket, going by the gap in the TTO knob and pointed end caps.

Frijolero, RyX and brit like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

I got a modern Klar. Strongest almond soap I've encountered. Quintuple milled! That's a hard soap there.

Tapatalk Spam Tag

Frijolero and jimjo1031 like this.
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Yeah, I've had mine a few years and still going strong.

RyX likes this.
  9. BlueShaver

1. Nope. It is a Cussons Imperial leather shave stick ('70s)
    2. Close! It is a rocket. A #58.

Frijolero, ghostlife and RyX like this.
  10. BlueShaver

OS is fantastic shaving soap and deserves the reputation it has but modern BIN prices by the Ebay flippers are nuts.

I too would like a puck of Colgate Cup soap and Williams Menthol. One day....

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    A No. 58 is an Aristocrat Jr.
    ^^^
    I'm going to guess that is what you meant to respond with. I didn't see the vertical lines in the knurling.

12. BlueShaver

Yes it is a Junior according to that advert...

I intend to do a thread about that and my thoughts on the #58 and the Aristocrat Junior.

13. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

I’ve used and enjoyed 2 vintage shave soaps. The oldest is a 45+ year old English Leather shave soap by MEM. It lathers very nicely and still has the classic EL scent. The second is a 1980’s Shulton Old Spice shave soap; that one makes a spectacular amount of lather in very little time and smells of that awesome scent of real Old Spice.

14. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Growing up as a teenager in the late 70's and early 80's I got to use the not yet vintage Colgate, Old Spice, and Williams. had I known they were going to go extinct I would have bought a few cases of each. I still have a puck of the Colgate, and a NOS Old Spice Mug and Soap In The Box. It still has the faint smell of Old Spice emanating from it. My oldest vintage soap is my Yardley's from 1914. I grated and rescented it with Original Skinbracer, and it lathers like a champ. I really need to give the Old Spice a whirl one of these days.

Clayton

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Congrats on being one of the few that have owned those two from back in their days. I've been fortunate to come into possession of Vintage Williams & Colgate. They are both good latherers. I have seen Old Spice soap in the wild, but when sellers use the bay as a price setting suggestion it's out of my self imposed bargain hunting range. I have heard it's another decent soap.

16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Love me some vintage tallow Williams; the original Shulton OS soap; Figaro Sapone Speciale (the original P. 160); Seaforth! rocks; heck, Tabac is now 60 years old, so that mos def© qualifies it as a vintage product.

17. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I've been using vintage Williams in my bowl, like it better than the new Williams, it lathers up like I remembered. Next I'll break down and open my still wrapped Old Spice mug soap, I'll use it in the mug it came with, hopefully when I unwrap it, it will have the aroma that I used to love.

18. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

E781111D-C3FB-462D-8526-1C01A745D042.jpeg On Monday I used for the first time my vintage Williams Mug Luxury shave soap. It was far superior to the modern formulation of Williams Mug; easy to lather, thick and slick and the lather didn’t dry out like the modern Williams Mug did.

19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have a near full tub of Yardley shave soap. Great stuff, reserved for special occasions.
    I also have a few pucks of Old Spice Mug shave soap. I haven't tried them yet, but the scent is still strong.

brit, Angelo85 and RyX like this.