Summertime...Barbeques, Grills & Smokers!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by HolyRollah, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I have been using a Weber 22 inch kettle grill for smoking (minion method) with good results. While poking around on the Internet I saw that Weber makes a 14.5 inch (grill diameter) Weber Smoky Mountain bullet. Compared to the 18.5 and 22.5, this is a little guy. It is 31 inches tall. I read a number of reviews where this smoker is good for small families. Since it is just the wife and me, I decided to get one. It has the usual excellent Weber quality control. At the six hour mark I added charcoal and replenished the water. This carried me to the nine hour mark. The butt temp was 187 degrees. I wrapped the butt in foil and a towel and let it rest for about an hour. The result was wonderful (used Hickory).

Butt1.JPG Butt2.JPG

2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Um, um looks delicious!

Edison Carter, PanChango and Redrock like this.
  3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Looks great.

Edison Carter and Redrock like this.
  4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Was in the grocery on Saturday and spied a 2.5 lb rack of ribs for $6. Sunday was a yard maintenance day so I figured a nice distraction helps when I would rather be doing something else. Seasoned with Texas Pig Rub and smoked at 250F with wild black cherry from the back yard. It got done much quicker than I expected and had to spend a few hours wrapped before it was time to eat. I really like the color of these. No sauce just from the rub. Overall B+

ribs.jpg

5. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Holy smoke, no pun intended! I just ate and that made me hungry!

Edison Carter, Redrock and brit like this.
  6. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I’ve been thinking about getting the 18.5” Weber Smokey Mountain, just to get a little more room. I seldom cook for more than 6 or 8, usually 3 or 4. Based on your experience with your 14”, do you think the 18.5” would be about right for the size crowds I would typically cook for? On the other hand, I’ve had great success with a 22” kettle smoking 2 butts, 2 turkey breasts, and I have cooked up to 5 slabs at once although 3 slabs do better, in an upright holder.

Edison Carter and Redrock like this.
  7. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

70FE2F18-6F89-4FBE-91BA-5AF0D67CD843.jpeg

Here’s what I call a modified snake, with a few hickory nuts on it, and lit at opposite ends simultaneously. This method is good for a shorter cook at a higher temperature, for things like hams or turkey breasts. I don’t necessarily wait for it to burn through, I use temperature probes and take the meat off a few degrees before done, and wrap in foil.

8. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Thank you.

9. Redrock

@BamaT . I believe the 18.5" WSM will meet your needs. With two racks you can put a lot of meat in it. Also, the 22" is a monster. If you have a store near you that sells WSMs give the a look. I believe you will be surprised at the size of the 22" model. Hope this helps.

Edison Carter and BamaT like this.
  10. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Redrock likes this.
  11. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I have a 14 and a 22.

You can do 2 shoulders in a 14.

I like the 22 for ribs so I can keep them flat. 22 is nice for big turkey and big brisket.

A good book is "Low and Slow" by Gary Wiviott

12. Redrock

Rack of baby backs on the WSM 14.5. Easy cook. Wonderful. tasty, tender results.

Ribs.JPG

13. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Nice cook!

I should use my little one with the racks cut like that. Then I can cook ribs for............. just me!

What is your rub and sauce?

BamaT and brit like this.
  14. Redrock

Weber KC BBQ Rub. Sweet Baby Ray's Original. I used Apple Wood. You can do two racks on the WSM 14.5. One rack on the top and one on the bottom. I can get at least 6 hours of heat @225-250 degrees. More than meets my needs. Highly recommended.

BamaT, brit and Edison Carter like this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Labor Day Toil: 9lbs of beef ribs in the smoker. Had an unexpected heat spike early on so I'll have to keep a closer eye on the smoker. A few more hours to go before sauce & wrap.
    Charcoal + oak, hickory & a little mesquite wood.
    ribz_beef_labordy19.jpg

PanChango, BamaT, ghostlife and 5 others like this.
  16. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

How did they turn out?

I like my beef ribs on the done side anyway. I'd be all over those.

Grilled up some chicken breasts on the webber kettle. Marinated them in some Johnny's Jamaica mistake. Pulled them at 175. Turned out really good. You could even shred them.

17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Just enjoying the day. A 10 and 11 pound pork shoulder, that's been on 1 hour. Slow smoked on my "Lifetime Smoker", with local fallen oak trees. I've had it for 23 years, and it still does a great job. The pork has some local pork rub on it, and will be slow smoked 150-190 degrees, for 12 hrs. After that, it will be transferred to the oven, another 12 hrs, at 175 degrees, wrapped in foil.
    This should help the wife get her pulled pork fix taken care of. I should have a lot to freeze after.

P9281178.JPG

18. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I was out of Hickory chips for my pork tenderloins yesterday, but decided to make due with mesquite chips hoping it didn’t overpower the meat... Fail. On the bright side, my daughter commented that she really liked the pork, because it “tastes like steak”.

BamaT, Edison Carter and PanChango like this.
  19. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

23 years is a good start. I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

BamaT, DaltonGang and Edison Carter like this.
  20. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It has served me well, and keeps going strong. But, I have had my eye on stacked smokers, where I can smoke at least 6 briskets at a time. This one can only handle 2.
    The lifetime is a quirky smoker, with very old style technology, that requires monitoring every hour or so, to adjust the vents.
    I have co-workers who do BBQ competitions, all year long. They have some wild setups, that can run $60,000. Me, I just want something simple, that I can BBQ for a large party.

BamaT and Edison Carter like this.