The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I have a question for the Stirling scholars in this thread. How close is executive man's scent to Creed? I was going to pick up a bottle of creed so I could compare the two but I couldn't get financing to pay for it, well really I just don't want to pay that much lol but now im curious on how close the two are to each other.

2. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

My Stirling Blu soap and aftershave set arrived earlier today. It's kinda awesome when the owner/CEO of a company personally checks your order and signs off on it after writing a nice thank you note. He even added a sample of the Blue Sky Bath Soap. Thank you Rod.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

3. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

Very similar on the top notes, but doesn't dry down the same

4. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

E1BF242A-9001-439F-A56F-81CC1B2542DD.jpeg Do I ever love this one!

For Menthol Monday being tomorrow!

5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Is that the same as with all Stoylin cologne dupes?

6. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

I don't know, I haven't compared most of them :)

I have to say, I really like the drydown on Deep Blue Sea (but have never tried Bleu de Chanel)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  7. Paul Turner

Ah yes...the soap that made me begin to wonder about what Stoylin was all about!! :).

8. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Over the weekend I did some shaves to evaluate a couple of razors I sent out for honing.

I used the Stirling Blood on Steel (Hanae Mori dupe) combo that I can't get enough of both times. On the AS there is a wood type of scent that comes out for a couple of hours after the initial dry down. I don't particularly favor it, but after it dissapates what is left is long lasting gentle whiffs of fresh and pleasant smells that I love.

I went with the Spirit of St Louis deluxe limited edition TSD brothers of the blood and BBQ brush. There is a soft and flexible nature of this brush that makes loading a dry soap a little time consuming. Now if you call in the Blue Ming for some assistance it is not a big deal. These very same soft/flexible properties seem to help create a super smooth and rich wet sloshy lather that I like. If you don't have a specific shaving lather bowl to whip it up, soup and cereal bowls are acceptable substitutes, just make sure to wash them first.

Pretty much, all my primary razors were honed from where I got them. Honing is a skill I'm working on, so I sent these to a fellow in New England with a good reputation that likes Shaptons and takes them up to 30k. He does something unique at the end I've never seen done. After most of his work at 30k is done, he gently draws the cutting 'edge' across the edge of the stone, then finishes with just a few final cycles normally. Then minimal stropping. I am happy with the result I got and do not believe either of these specific tools have ever shaved this well. It is a source I will use again, but not to the exclusion of others.

[​IMG]

ezlovan, Hembree, ob1page and 8 others like this.
  9. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Bill, very nice razors and glad you got great shaves with them!

ezlovan, Hembree, Linuxguile and 6 others like this.
  10. Paul Turner

That Stoylin Glacial was BITING COLD this morning(both soap&A.S.).

ezlovan, Hembree, john zeiger and 4 others like this.
  11. Yehuda D

2C9F41DA-5D34-408F-AFCA-903964A045AC.jpeg

What am I supposed to say - welcome to the club!

ezlovan, Hembree, PLAla and 8 others like this.
  12. Yehuda D

I LOVE Bleu de Chanel!

ezlovan, Hembree, john zeiger and 4 others like this.
  13. Paul Turner

Thank you, but I need to compare with Arctique and that Booster. But this was cold enough.

14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTD July 22nd
    [​IMG]

Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave Soap
    EDRIO#96 RazoRock Lupo
    Gillette Platinum
    Epsilon White Horse (26mm, Frigate Class)
    Stirling Glacial Lemony Orange soap and AS

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

ezlovan, Hembree, PLAla and 7 others like this.
  15. Paul Turner

I need to get one of the tooty-fruity freezers next summer....say, when is your Vibes game?

ezlovan, john zeiger, Hembree and 4 others like this.
  16. SmokeShowing

SmokeShowing Well-Known Member

Go away for a few months and come back to something called Blood on Steel? What did I miss?????

17. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Special edition for the 30DC meetup in St Louis. The scent will be back under the name Tsuka.

ezlovan, john zeiger, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  18. SmokeShowing

SmokeShowing Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I was feeling a sense of fiscal liberation having not been exposed to all of the Stirling fans, but now I see that I'm going to have to do some serious catching up. ;)

ezlovan, john zeiger, Hembree and 5 others like this.
  19. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

That was last week. And I think Glacial Satsuma or Glacial Lemon Chill would be a fantastic choice for you Paul!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

20. Paul Turner

THAT's where I saw Tsuka before...ok, I'm good now.

ezlovan, john zeiger, Hembree and 5 others like this.