What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Fine early evening shave with my Wester Bros Anchor. :happy088: I found out how sharp it really is when I accidentally pushed my thumb against the edge instead of the tang when trying to open it a little further. :shocked003:

Hot water preparation
    AOS Lavender PSO
    Mystic Waters Brown Windsor
    T&H Wellington Super Badger
    Wester Bros Anchor 11/16
    Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel

Wester Bros Anchor 11:16 AOS MWBW TH TWHR.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl

2. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Over the weekend I did some shaves to evaluate a couple of razors I sent out for honing.

I used the Stirling Blood on Steel (Hanae Mori dupe) combo that I can't get enough of both times. On the AS there is a wood type of scent that comes out for a couple of hours after the initial dry down. I don't particularly favor it, but after it dissapates what is left is long lasting gentle whiffs of fresh and pleasant smells that I love.

I went with the Spirit of St Louis deluxe limited edition TSD brothers of the blood and BBQ brush. There is a soft and flexible nature of this brush that makes loading a dry soap a little time consuming. Now if you call in the Blue Ming for some assistance it is not a big deal. These very same soft/flexible properties seem to help create a super smooth and rich wet sloshy lather that I like. If you don't have a specific shaving lather bowl to whip it up, soup and cereal bowls are acceptable substitutes, just make sure to wash them first.

Pretty much, all my primary razors were honed from where I got them. Honing is a skill I'm working on, so I sent these to a fellow in New England with a good reputation that likes Shaptons and takes them up to 30k. He does something unique at the end I've never seen done. After most of his work at 30k is done, he gently draws the cutting 'edge' across the edge of the stone, then finishes with just a few final cycles normally. Then minimal stropping. I am happy with the result I got and do not believe either of these specific tools have ever shaved this well. It is a source I will use again, but not to the exclusion of others.

[​IMG]

Paul76, Billyfergie, Steve56 and 10 others like this.
  3. Montalvani

Montalvani Well-Known Member

Hope you keep showing it!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

4. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

DSC_0063.JPG

Hoshi Tombo 6500 First Edition
    Strop Martin J. Rubin 4601 New York
    Muhle Fibre Silvertip XL
    S V Cubebe
    S V Cubebe Aftershave lotion
    S V Cubeb Edp

5. Montalvani

Every-time you show that razor I feel haunted! It’s the desire shadow dropping on me like sadness clouds

6. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Haha! It's one of my favourite razors a very smooth and extremely silent shaver, one of the reasons I love quarter hollow grinds when you dial them in correctly they are such smoooooooooooooooooooth shavers.

7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

019FB54E-95CF-4625-9890-6DA1CD3CBD52.jpeg

Shave 18 on the Sub Cero edge test, still no change. Cream was Cade Rich lathered with a TOBS brush, and a splash of Myrsol AB complimented it nicely. After dry down, a little of the wonderful Cade balm finished up.

The cream is good, but needs to be a little slicker for SR use, and it isn’t that concentrated. Good lather though, and I’d expect DE/SE shavers would probably like the sturdy lather. But in this product line the balm is the star.

8. Montalvani

You are just saying that out of envy! Aren’t you?

I’m not yet kin on wedge or 1/4 hollow. But if it so it happens all aim to a Hoshi

9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

10. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Awesome! Is that rasurpur like the website? Are they making razors now??

11. Keithmax

I bought this several years ago from their website. I am not sure if they still make them or not.

12. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Puma 222
    Rubberset Silvertip Badger
    Grooming Dept Shaving Soap
    Sandlewood Preshave Oil
    Pinald Clubman Aftershave

Enjoy your evening gentlemen![​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

13. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Another 200k edge. This time the #136 made by J.R. Torrey.
    136.jpg

14. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Ah ok. I was quite familiar with that website. Martin did a few custom orders for me from ti.

TestDepth, Keithmax and Karl G like this.
  15. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

16. Montalvani

[​IMG]

17. Keithmax

Martin is a pleasure to deal with, I bought the razor and a modular paddle strop from him. I checked his site and it looks like he shut down the store and only does honing now.

18. Keithmax

Wow, so many minty shiny razor in this thread.

19. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Yeah looks like it’s been down for a while. Haha I did message him to see if he had any more razors kicking around he might want to sell.

20. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Which plisson brush is that? I’ve been tempted to get one of them.