Will be near Pasteur Pharmacy this week. What should I look for?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by StormyWeather, Jul 28, 2019.

1. StormyWeather

StormyWeather Well-Known Member

Per the title, what are some of the more unique things that Pasteur might have that I should spend my time focusing on? While I did see a website listed, they don't seem to list all their inventory.

It's not like I won't get a chance to visit again (I can basically be in NYC pretty often for work related reasons), but figured making the most of my time there would be good.

2. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

It all depends on what you think you need. They have pretty much any software you could possibly want. Decent selection of the more widely available razors. When I've gone in there I've focused on software as I feel I'm where I want to be with my hardware. Good luck and have fun. And no matter what you end up walking out with, you'll be planning your next trip into the city as you step out onto the sidewalk so you can buy the stuff you didn't get but wanted to.

3. StormyWeather

Do you know if it's "ok" to smell the soaps? I feel like I should probably ask before I go opening containers and smelling.

Frijolero, RyX and Keithmax like this.
  4. MntnMan62

I've only been in there once and wasn't sure of the protocol at the time. But since then I've read posts from several people who were there and they smelled the soaps. Maybe just ask whoever is working there that day and ask. I'm betting they will say smell as many soaps as your nose can handle.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've heard they have an extensive selection of Simpson's brushes. Might be good to see all the badger 'flavors.'

6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Watch out for your wallet, their selection is huge as is the temptation. There is so much squeezed into a tight space. Make sure you leave yourself enough time.

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  7. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

8. StormyWeather

I’ll have to post some pictures as well when I go.

I’d love to find a good tobacco smelling soap while I’m there. I don’t smoke, but just like the scent quite a bit — especially in combo with something sweet, like vanilla.

How would you say their pricing is on any vintage hardware (razors mainly)? Don’t have anything vintage currently.

Frijolero likes this.
  9. MntnMan62

I wouldn't say the place is cheap. But it's a brick and mortar store so prices are expected to be a little more than you find online. The magic is the instant gratification you get when you walk out of the place with all your stuff in a wheelbarrow wondering how you're going to get the thing on the train to get home.

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Does this shop sell "used" gear? In my mind vintage and "needs a Dawn dish liquid / toothbrush cleaning" go together. Maybe you mean New (Old) Stock where a product sits on a retail shelf until it becomes vintage.

Best prices on used vintage hardware for me has been estate sales, flea markets, followed by thrift & antique stores. When visiting the last two ask if they keep a Wish List - a book that booth holders and vendors can view to see ideas about what shoppers are seeking.

Frijolero and MntnMan62 like this.
  11. MntnMan62

Ah. I missed the word "vintage". Not sure how I could miss that. I do not believe they sell used stuff. This is basically a small pharmacy that happens to have one of the best and most comprehensive offerings of new shaving stuff to be found almost anywhere. But the stuff is new, unused. Not vintage. As RyX said, the best place for used gear is estate sales, small antique stores, thrift stores, flea markets. Sorry for my brain fart earlier.

12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

What should I look for?

Someone to stand guard over your wallet. ;) You will be in shave supply heaven.
    Be sure to report back on your haul.

13. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

All stock there is new/modern/current production as far as I've seen.

14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'd research items that shipping would preclude ordering yourself.
    Martin de candre would be nice if you didn't have to pay as much for shipping as for product.
    Myrsol aftershaves from Spain, also an item I've not tried because of shipping.

15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Most tobacco scented soaps are scented using the flower...which doesn't smell like cured tabacco leaf at all. You'll need to look more at leather type scents to find the better tobacco scents, imo.

You might want to check out Tabac soap. It's a bit flowery/powdery from what I remember. It's been decades since I smelled it.

As for razors, they might have vintage style razors, but everything will be modern new production.

Frijolero, brit and RyX like this.
  16. StormyWeather

Literally received it this week. While it’s not tobacco, it has a classic smell to it. I like it personally. This is how I store it since the lid isn’t air tight. [​IMG]

Frijolero, brit and RyX like this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

They have a lot of different roads of DE blades there. If you want to try some, it’s a good chance to put together your own sampler pack.

18. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

i’d Look at the panna crema soaps,

higher end AS, And colognes. .... Trumper, penhaligon.

If your a DE Make a list of of you top blades you want to try and make a sampler

Maybe make a list of favorites.... try not to get overwhelmed.

Or even better go there a few times..........

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Frijolero likes this.
  19. StormyWeather

Made it. Got a good hour to wander.

[​IMG]

Frijolero, brit, John Beeman and 2 others like this.
  20. StormyWeather

Ok this is what I’m working with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]