August 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 30, 2019.

?

Will you be using Adjustables and/or Arko for August??

1. Yep. Adjustables and Arko both!!

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Adjustables yes - Arko no.

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Arko yes - Adjustables no.

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. Some of both, some of other stuff.

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  5. Still just here for cookies and ice cream.

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  6. Straights - because they re the original adjustable.

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome to Adjustable August 2019!!!

This is the month we break out the adjustables! The Fatboys, Slims, Black Beauties, Schick Type M’s – you name it….if it adjusts we use it! Or, we don’t. As always, the theme is here for those who want, and if you don’t want then do whatever floats your boat. Don’t forget the secondary theme – add some Arko to the Adjustable! The classic Turkish delight deserves a bit of extra love from time to time. Now, before we move on, a quick word from the Cartel.

Just a quick reminder as we move into the last part of Summer and our series of themed months through the end of the year. This group is, as we know, primarily a shaving technique group. We support newbies in learning how to shave and each other in improving our shaves and learning new gear and techniques. But…..we also do more than just shave. We talk, share joy, grief, worry, and just plain life! I have no idea how we do it sometimes but….we do and I hope we never stop. Ok, wipe your eyes. Enough mushy stuff.

Welcome back or welcome for the first time!! Wondering what the heck a 30 Day Rule or Focus is? Well, let’s let the one, the only, the legendary and mystical @Bama Samurai remind us. Please rise and remove your hats and hold your favorite razor aloft in tribute. We’ll pause for a moment of revered silence.

HEY! I said pause for revered silence! Ok, now you can proceed.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach. Anything that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Again, if you want to follow the theme in some way feel free. But if you are on a Rule or Focus that doesn’t include the theme we’re totally fine with that. Most of all remember – this is about learning to use the tools and improving our skills so that TECHNIQUE TRUMPS TOOLS!!

Here are the rules. Those not following the rules will be subject to penalties to include a visit from Ivan or Igor to correct that stinkin’ thinkin’!

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.

2. Experienced Members also always welcome. Notice I stopped calling us “old”?
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome

Let's have some great shaves people! And let’s get it started with a group hug!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Adjustables? As long as I get to spin the dials to MAX! Arko will happen, too.

Last one in has dry pants!
    jump in the pool.jpg

3. brit

brit in a box

hello gents..i will play along a little with the fatboy .slim and arko..very cool.but i will also do an "all out august"..any soap cream croap brush razor that comes to mind +menthol..i don't change much and i am hard to tame..will also have some aristocrat august shaves..cheers everyone..

4. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I'm in!
    I'll stick with mostly my daily themed shaves but there will be an adjustable or two along with Arko. I have a new razor arriving in the next day or two. I'll give it a good trial period. At least six shaves, if they're not going well I'll continue with it until they are.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm in with a birth quarter Gillette Slim. I'll start off with Feather blades and whatever brush, soap, aftershave, cologne, parfum (oh yeah!), delusions, cartoons, memes, and ice cream suit my fancy. I'll focus on getting consistently clean shaves while maintaining strict 30DC discipline and scientific method at all times.

Pass the cookies, please.
    1.jpg

6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'm in, of course! Will keep using Soap Commander 13A▲ each day except Fat Fridays. I'll use all my adjustables throughout the month - PAL, Schick M, Fatboy. But I have found the settings I like on those for the most part and don't adjust them anymore. Both the Fatboy and Schick M are wide open. The PAL needs some more experimentation so I can try some of that this month.

Anyway, looking forward to it as always!

[​IMG]

7. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

8. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I'm in again. I'll go with adjustables for the month, maybe a shave or two with Arko. Looking forward to the fun.

Hembree, clint64, Frijolero and 12 others like this.
  9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hopefully by the end of the month I will be done with EDRIO. Maybe with enough of the month left to break out an adjustable or two. Also looking forward to SEptember and then OCtober!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Hembree, jtspartan, clint64 and 14 others like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Arko Adjustable August?

OK.

Rule it shall be, unless I have to fly.

1959 Gillette 195 Adjustable
    Arko
    L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic
    Voskhod

The razor was a gift from an esteemed long time member of the 30DC, and is also the only adjustable razor I kept after the year of "Love it or PIF it". When paired with Murica's Finest Blade, it is one of the easiest shaves out there. You know him as @wristwatchb and Charlie, and he doesn't necessarily endorse the rest of this list.

Arko? Yeah. It's the absolute champ of mass market shave soaps. Luxurious? No. It has a scent highly reminiscent of Ivory Bath Soap, and it tends to be a polarizing item. It's also notorious as a Veg precursor, and to some, a binary component of banned chemical weapons. But, I digress...I find it to be a quality shave product and really enjoy it. It's a super easy soap to work, and is suitable for open and safety styles.

The brush is part of 30DC lore, and was blamed for the rise, aggressive short taking and collapse of a certain retail stock. True? Those who know won't say, and those who say don't know. It was a great brush for a small price, and was used for months on end in my daily shaves.

Voskhod? That's actually how the 30DC started. When RBC was a newbie, I sent him a message late one night about some blades. It started a conversation that has know expanded to a few dozen people and 7000 monthly posts, several recurring fictional characters, and a world wide network of corresponding friends that has touched every continent except Antarctica. That all happened under @NCoxSTL. When I ran it, we were just trying not to lose blood and/or get banned from the board. He created the culture that made it grow into what you see today. Literally the most friendly and helpful group on any forum I've ever read.

There will be Veg, Clubman, and Osage in August.

For new converts and those lurking:

If you are new to this thread series, welcome! Just jump in, we'll talk about anything you like and somebody here knows the answer to your question or issue. This group has done it all, to include fabricating razors from thumbs and medical tape, and even popsicle sticks and glue. These things are all done to show that mastery of the fundamentals are why we succeed. We'd love to help you learn, as well as make more informed choices that will maximize your enjoyment. We'll also help you avoid randomly buying gear and balm to solve shave issues. All you need to do is pick one razor, one soap, one blade type, and one brush. Then commit to the process for one month. It will change how you view your results, and allow you to isolate variables as you master the fundamentals.

I recommend Alum for newbies. The sensation, or lack thereof, from Alum is one of the only objective ways to assess angle and pressure. Learning to avoid that pain will fine tune your touch with the blade, and allow daily shaves with no discomfort.

I don't collect razors, and I am gear agnostic. All razors are the same at skin level. It's an intimate understanding of what a steel bevel should feel like on the face that unlocks all razors for the newbies.

Wanna learn SR? Many Jedi and Sith Lords here amongst us. We all started were you are now. I'm a shavette guy myself, but again...all razors are the same at skin level. It's all about angle and pressure with any razor style. Open blades are fun, and provide a sense of accomplishment to the learner. It takes about three months to become well versed in SR fundamentals, and this group would love to help you find your way... so jump in that pool as soon as you are ready. SR is jokingly called "the Dark Side", and yes Randy , we have cookies. Sometime we'll tell you where the stash is located.

From $9 shavettes to precision machined boutique DE, the goal is a smooth face that feels great. Perfect the basics I've mentioned and they will all produce good results, on a daily basis. It only takes a month of discipline and dedication to find out for yourself.

The solution to shave issues isn't more gear.

The solution lies inside you.

We'd love to watch you find out.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  11. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I am going with my Alternative focus and that will be using only my straight razors and Dovo Shavette. My goal is to be a 100/100 man by the end of August. That's 100 traditional straight and 100 shavette shaves.

12. brit

brit in a box

awesome words from the master himself..thank you..:)

13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

You are far too generous and kind. And I know you better than most so I can say that. It is humbling to think that a conversation about Voskhod's almost 5 years ago turned into this. I will always give you credit as our creator. And I'll always give huge credit to the guys who looked in, saw what we were up to, and in spite of much confusion and fear went ahead and jumped in to make this group the success it is. Thanks everyone! Now.....let's shave!!!!!

14. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

-don't own an adjustable, and at any rate I bought a NEW LC off BST here and will surely use it most of the month, once it arrives
    -don't feel like doing arko all month even though I have 10.5 sticks of it and probably should
    -will probably pick a razor, blade and brush combo and use it all month while working through my soap samples one by one

15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I know the term "adjustable" refers to razors here, but I'd like to say I'm happy I have "adjusted" to shaving with my glasses on(what a nice differantz it makes), and also to improved brush-loading. But in shaving, "adjusting" never ends, and I look forward to another month of great shaves by us all. :))

16. Paul Turner

wow....16 August replies, and we're still in July.

17. brit

brit in a box

the new age..;)

18. brit

brit in a box

and.. 4743881 (2).jpg :)

19. Paul Turner

Gary, my sister's cat gets that look often....she'll just turn over on her back and stay in place for a few minutes...big eyes. Fun to see.

20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great post, Chris!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.