August 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 30, 2019.

?

Will you be using Adjustables and/or Arko for August??

1. Yep. Adjustables and Arko both!!

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Adjustables yes - Arko no.

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Arko yes - Adjustables no.

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. Some of both, some of other stuff.

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  5. Still just here for cookies and ice cream.

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  6. Straights - because they re the original adjustable.

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Thank you, Clint!

Thank you, Joseph! I’ll check out that thread.

Thank you, Gary! That’s cool how you’ve built your gear with your grandfather in mind.

2. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Thank you, Keith.

Keithmax, brit, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Hello all
    This morning's shave was an experiment.
    I tried one of my straight razors that I sharpened with a balsa wood hone that I had finished. I used 1 micron diamond paste then gave it about 10 swipes on the stropp.
    It seemed to be sharper than before. When I put it to the test, it was better, but still not as sharp as the Focus shavette I've been using. It act's like a blade that is loose in a razor, hopefully it stops that when I get it sharper. So, one pass on the cheek with the straight, two passes with the Focus shavette. Still a little shaky so I finished the chin with my newly found Gillette and a Feather blade (new). I like that OC-TTO, a good shaver. Changed to a new Feather blade and did the head shave.
    20190811_135727.jpg
    The Gillette I'm thinking Sheraton, is a nice razor, to bad not many where produced. The Arko worked as expected along with the Focus shavette.

The straight razor I'm trying to sharpen is this one.

20190811_140406.jpg
    Hoping it's one that will get and keep an edge.

Over 300 post behind, well....
    to all
    Enjoy
    tp

AlDm, Hembree, jtspartan and 14 others like this.
  4. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

:happy097:
    That would get you in trouble round here.
    Anyway, my wife could take me, she might be little, but she's real tough.

Before we got a paved road (whoo hooo).
    I'd tell em to follow the gravel road till you're real far out, and lost. The next driveway on the left is mine.
    ;)
    tp

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs001:

Hembree, Terry, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Look inside the handle Terry. Flat Head screw=Sheraton; Maltese Cross= Senator. (99% accurate) There are some exceptions, when Gillette was using up old parts.

7. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks Joseph

It has the flat headed screw, that's why I'm thinking it's a Sheraton.
    It's all brass too, I like brass razors.
    tp

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Pushing almost all the buttons...
    pushing ALL the buttons.gif
    Fuzzy, you showed great restraint. That kind of behavior is required when in a position of power.
    And TOST, too!

AlDm, Hembree, NCoxSTL and 10 others like this.
  9. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Hembree, Terry, Norcalnewb and 7 others like this.
  10. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Terry, that's a great setup! It may be your technique that causes the straight razor to behave that way or you are correct in your assessment with your straight. However, the diamond paste is a finisher and not a sharpener. Since you can shave with it, then you don't need to set the bevel. When the razor skips, then it is a sign that the razor needs to be honed. Try refreshing the razor again with the diamond paste. If it still skips, then you know that it needs to be honed and not technique. What I would suggest is to take it on an 8K stone and then a 12 K stone and then go to Crox or diamond paste. If you don't have stones, then go lapping film route, 3 micron (8K), 1 micron (15K) and .3 micron (50-60K).

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

One of my college frat buddies lives in the Denver area and has two daughters, both of whom enrolled in the School of Mines. They are both extreme brainiacs working on advanced engineering degrees in areas I have no clue about. We also have the college down the road in Rolla, Missouri, that was originally the School of Mines here in Missouri. It became the University of Missouri in Rolla but kept its basic educational foundation, then transitioned to the Missouri University of Science and Technology. Almost the entire student population is majoring in engineering, mathematics or some form of technology. In Rolla. You have to drive through there to get the impact of that statement. The idea of a school with that kind of student body and programs in that town - mind boggling. I guess maybe since there's so little to do it helps keep the brainiacs focused on what they need to be.

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great looking Sheraton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hembree, Norcalnewb, Terry and 5 others like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

One day I'll find some of the soap for less than $25/puck. Next shopping trip get Betty Crocker ready to use icing. The lids are red, fairly tough, and fit just right.
    Betty Crocker Icing lid for OS mug.jpg
    Still ought to be good stuff. Very nice heirloom haul!

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to The 30 Day Crew Paul @vittocia! You've fallen in with... Nope, I'll let you figure it out for yourself. If you have any questions, just ask. There are conversation that have been going on for months or years but we'll catch you up if something doesn't make sense. We'd call up the official 30DC Historian, but no one remembers who it is.

Very nice set up! Feather in a Gillette and an ARKO lather? You're our kind of Shaver. I'm still catching up on today's posts but I have to ask - what number is your adjustable set to?

Hembree, Frijolero, vittocia and 13 others like this.
  15. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Thanks, Rick! I'll grab some Betty Crocker icing the next time I'm at the store.

16. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Aug 11
    Good afternoon guys!
    Straight razor shave # 99
    Dovo Special
    Senogue OC Badger
    Stirling Satsuma SS and AS
    Pinaud Clubman Styptic Pen
    Modessa Witchhazel
    OK, I decided to shave now instead of later this evening. Semogue gave a nice face lather with the Stirling Satsuma. I made it a little wetter than usual and it was fine. As with my previous shaves, I could have stopped after one pass, but I did my usual 2.5 passes to get an awesome BBS shave with a tiny weeper at the corner of my mouth. Applied the pen and it went away. Used the witchhazel and then applied a liberal amount of the aftershave. I just love this scent! My next shave will be on Tuesday for my milestone shave. Guys, have a great afternoon! 20190811_163716.jpg 20190811_163716.jpg

AlDm, Hembree, Frijolero and 12 others like this.
  17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Excellent shave report Joe. Only 1 more to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

It isn't the kind of brain I have, but I'm most impressed at these "colleges"(well, that's what they are, of course).

Hembree, wristwatchb, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  19. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Yeah I had to drop the disclaimer in. Years back, we did a firearm training & safety course. She is a better shot than I am.

:cool:

20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Man, I thought the baby would be talkinabout our Presidents. Nice message in the lyrix though.

Hembree, clint64, jluc and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.