Shavettes

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Mike-R41, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

Hope you enjoy them brother!
    e

RyX and Trigger like this.
  2. Mike-R41

Im Digging the kamisori style!!

3. Mike-R41

My Classic samurai has the same two teardrops on the tang or whatever the handle is called (I’m new to this remember I’m 26!) LOL

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    They call those 'scales.' And that handle style is used by a lot of shavettes. I think mine was called the "coolcut 4" or something similar. I prefer the Weck Sextoblade to any DE style shavette. It just feels more natural.

5. Mike-R41

I feel you, down the line I want to get a better jawn. But I don’t think I ever want to get a real straight, all that maintenance! I love my DE, and Shavette way of Shaving, this way, I get the feel of a straight with out the hassle!!! Forgetaboutit

Steveclarkus and Trigger like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've owned and used a couple Weck Shavettes. They seemed a bit light in hand, especially compared to a straight. The long Personna hair shaper blades are certainly capable of giving good beard reduction, and do well replicating the feeling of a straight razor. Now that I've spent enough time to appreciate a kamisori style Shavette I like the no scales grip. Feather AC blades are a whole 'nother firm factor. They won't entice me to buying a SE razor. Yet. Never say never?

Tapatalk Spam Tag

PLANofMAN and Trigger like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

"jawn" - I read about this. You from Philly? It's spreading but originated there.

Tapatalk Spam Tag

8. Jpumroy

Jpumroy Member

I have been using an MD Barber Black Dragon shavette for a while now with fairly good results. It took me a few years of using a DE razor to get steady enough to have good results with a straight edge. I found that switching from cheap Derby blades made a world of difference. Merkur blades work well, but feathers seem to glide a bit easier. I can now use the shavette daily without much irritation as long as I don't get too aggressive. One pass is usually all I need.

RyX, Keithmax and Trigger like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Have you tried the U.S. military Weck? It has an all metal handle, which gives it some needed heft.

If recall my research correctly, they were issued for use as pre-incision hair removers in the Vietnam/Korean War era.

RyX and Keithmax like this.
  10. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

20190808_151744.jpg

RyX, Chuck Naill and brit like this.
  11. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

0F35D1BB-E19C-4EE9-B4DA-D90B2BD55399.jpeg
    My current favorite - Focus Al. I like the guards that protect from the blade corners.

12. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

SS.jpg I used a Feather SS yesterday with a Pro Guard blade.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  13. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

The R28 is on my list. Do you use the flat on face technique? I have a R21 that I don’t love, I have the r28’s cousin R48, that I’m fascinated with which has some similar tech as R28.

Edison Carter likes this.
  14. Steveclarkus

I keep a close angle to my face with all straight razors. The R28 has a built in angle guide. It is a very easy shavette to use in general. It is incredibly easy to load and you are protected from the corners on the blade which account for the majority of mishaps with other half blade shavettes. It requires a broken DE blade rather than the salon half blades. However Derby salon blades to have two sticky spots that will secure the blade. I find Derby blades work very well with it but have only tried two others. It is a very well thought out shavette and is great for travel so you won’t have to carry a strop and do maintenance. I only use straight razors and am quite fond of this one. It is worth the price.

15. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

Steve have you used a dovo shavette? If so how does it compare?

I’m a bit familiar with angle guide and focus technology Since I have the focus R48

According to TSS web store the head is not as narrow as Dovo shavette. The corners re not protected on dovo shavette, But am very careful since I started using 1/2 de blades vs. long dovo blade.

The dovo my favorite. But I have limited experience with different shavettes only the dovo and R21

I prefer SR also, I’m traveling end of this month and will pack the dovo shavette, for first time traveling.

16. Steveclarkus

I haven’t tried the Dovo. Reviews complained about the blade holders and the secure blade holding system and ease of loading resulted in my choice. I tried to learn straight shaving with a shavette with rather disastrous and it was a year and a half of using traditional straights before I tried a shavette again and found them to be excellent shavers. You can really get around and get a truly great shave quickly with a half blade shavette. I’m very much in the “pro” camp now.

17. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I love Focus stuff. Probably get one of those one day.

My first shavette was the R21. It also has corner guards. I love it.

20190314_115427.jpg

RyX, brit and Terry like this.
  18. Steveclarkus

I used the Focus this morning with a Feather blade. I believe I prefer the Derby.

19. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've owned two Wecks. One was a sparkly blue marble plastic (cellulose?) scaled Bantam. Smaller by 25% than standard Weck shavettes. Very light weight so it seemed to skip like the difference between a 4/8 hollow SR and a 7/8 wedge. They wern't always sold as "hair shapers" - this 1937 advert definitely says it's for shaving.
    Weck_Bantam_1937.jpg
    The other is an all metal unit, but not the military version in all stainless steel. I'm fairly sure the scales are anodized aluminum. It's stamped "Weck Hair Shaper"
    Weck shavette.gif

PLANofMAN, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  20. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Try it with a Gillette Silver Blue or another teflon coated Russian Blade.

brit and RyX like this.