Deodorants don't work, suggestions please

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Demidog, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

This step is actually good enough for me so far. I soap all over when showering including under my arms and then I apply Crystal right after the shower. The lack of a scented product means that I don't smell good but using Crystal, I don't smell at all, which is amazing. Instead of masking odor with a fragrance, the odor is just being eliminated completely.
    Every Man Jack was the less painful deo to which I was referring. It causes an almost negligible amount of burn but the problem is that it didn't last very long and it couldn't stand up to exercise. When using it alone, I would need to carry the stick around with me all day to reapply periodically. If I ever use a regular deo stick again, it will probably be this one.

2. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

The fewer steps you need, the better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Historically deodorants alone have never worked for me. As a result I've used anti-persperants for decades. Recently I've been reading about the concerns over aluminum so I've stopped using antiperspirants. Instead I've started using natural deodorants. I tried Native Deodorant and really like it but there is no way I'm going to spend $12 or even $10 for one tube. I started using Arm & Hammer Fresh Essentials which is all natural ingredients. But most importantly, it works, for me. And it's cheap. I think I'm paying about $2 a tube. I'll keep using it until it either stops working or I find there is something in it that is bad for me.

4. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Crystal deodorant worked well for me for about six years until even it caused irritation in my armpits. I switched to Stirlings Natural Deodorant this past July and haven't suffered any irritation, and I don't stink.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Enrico likes this.
  5. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Just wondering, have you tried shaving the area, then applying a deodorant?

6. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Or at least use a trimmer to cut the hair super short. This helps a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigD likes this.
  7. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I have been using Schmitts Deodorant. It comes in a glass jar or in stick form. The glass jar comes with a small stick for application and only need to use a small dab under each arm. So far the jar has lasted for months and is still about 65% full, so very economical in the long run.

Performance wise this stuff has worked better than pretty much any other deodorant i have tried. The application is a bit different but you get used to it after a few times. Dont like one loaded with chemicals that cause burning or health problems. The ingredient list is clean and blocks odor all day.

The Razorock Best Deodorant On Earth would be a close 2nd choice, but did get some burning near the bottom of the jar.smells great though not as economical as the Schmitts.

Paul Turner likes this.
  8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Plus one on this product. Antiperspirants irritate my underarms a great deal, deodorants do not. Fortunately, as an accountant, I’m not in an environment where I will sweat. The Crystal product here works very well by eliminating bacteria. Also, as has already been mentioned, coconut oil is anti-bacterial and may help. There are some home made deodorant recipes containing coconut oil, baking soda, and cornstarch. I tried one, and it irritated my pits, but Imthinkmit was the corn starch. One morning after I showered I discovered I had run out of deodorant, and applied a small amount of baking soda to underarms. That worked well, at least in an office. If I use nothing, Imwill develop underarm odor by afternoon.

9. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

After a good month of use, I can say that American Provenance has worked wonders for me. It's a bit pricey, but it's also the only deodorant I have tried that I don't seem to have a negative reaction to that also keeps my pits from stinking for a full day. That's worth the extra couple of bucks to me.

Paul Turner, BamaT and richgem like this.
  10. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Second alum block try? If no luck have you considered a visit to a doc. Maybe some type of allergy.

11. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

I know what your going through first stop using solids try a roll-on like crystal deodorant the unsented one you'll sweat but you wont stink or the second on just sprey some stank me nice under your arms it works for me.

12. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

This is an old thread of course, but the smell should be based on 2 factors-waste and bacteria. How your body metabolizes your intake(food, drink, spices, tobacco) is expelled not only through your intestines, but also your sweat glands. Asparagus creates some serious funk!
    Drink more water and thin out the stink. Sweating it out(working out) is also a solid choice.
    On the bacteria side, kill it with anti-bacteria soap. Before WWII people would wipe with alcohol to kill the bacteria. Baby powder, talc powder and the like we’re used to keep the moisture at a minimum and not foster a Petri dish environment under your arms.
    Finally, make sure your clothes are really clean in that region. Odors linger.

Demidog, BigMike and BigMark83 like this.
  13. Daywalker

Daywalker Active Member

Guys, if you get irritation from alum it's because it's acidic/sulfuric. It's recommended to NOT use it with warm/hot water (like after a shower), but with cold water, so less of the salt is dissolved. With warm or hot water you're simply using too much product.

Also dermatologist recommend not to use it after shaving...your armpits (because of that aluminium alzheimer/breast cancer thing... aluminium being absorbed more easily when the skin is shaved/irritated/has microcuts).
    Which I do anyway because I find it kind of ironic, because that's exactly what it's intended for after shaving your face, isn't it?
    Also ammonium alum (which is mostly used for deo crystals) is said to be harsher to the skin than potassium alum (the one used as after shave). Don't know if ammonium alum may works better as a deo though.

Demidog likes this.