SOS August 2019

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by celestino, Jul 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Jeff let me put together some thoughts and I will send you a private message. It will likely be late tomorrow afternoon.

Edison Carter, brit and jgreenepa like this.
  2. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Thanks, Clint, much appreciated! That would be great!

Thanks,

Jeff

brit and clint64 like this.
  3. McCrae

McCrae Well-Known Member

SOTN 8/21/19

Razor: Rex Ambassador
    Blade: GSB
    Brush: Semogue 830
    Soap: Wholly Kaw Fougere Bouquet w/ Matching AS

No pics for tonight gents. This was my very first shave with my Rex Ambassador, and it was beautiful.
    Loaded up a fresh GSB blade and started off on setting 5 for the WTG. The razor was very efficient in taking down 3 days growth, but remained smoothed. Then I set it down to a 3 for the XTG, still very smooth and efficient.
    Wanted to go ATG but stopped there because I had some leftover irritation on my neck from the week before and didn't want to aggravate it. However, I was left with a DFS, with no added irritation to speak of.

Coming from the Rockwell 6S, it took me a bit to find the right angle for the Rex, it seems to be more of riding the guard, but I'll figure it out in a few more shaves.

Happy shave everyone!

4. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

In love with the B&M Reserve line. SOTD Rex, Cool Soap and EDT, StarCraft brush, GSB.
    D6CF813F-79B7-4B25-AA88-7D3E673ADC0C.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  5. jgreenepa

McCrae:
    I’ve heard great things about about the Rex. I still have my father’s old Gillette Slim Adjustable. I don’t know if you’ve shaved with the latter razor, but I’d be interested in how you think it compares to the Rex. I realize the mechanics differ, but I’d be interested in how you think the shaves compare?

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

6. McCrae

McCrae Well-Known Member

I just received this Rex today, so I don't have a fully formed opinion right now. I also do not own a Gillette Adjustable, yet..;)
    I was actually contemplating buying either the Rex or the Slim, just last week, and made a thread about it. Maybe you could find something useful in there: https://theshaveden.com/forums/thre...ex-ambassador-for-upgrade.62577/#post-1638498

7. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Phoenix Shaving | Black Bot
    RazoRock 400 | Noir Plissoft
    Durham-Enders | Enders Speed Shaver | Schick Proline B-20
    Leeming Pfizer | Black Belt Cologne (1968)

[​IMG]

8. jgreenepa

McCrae
    Thanks for the reference!
    Enjoy your shaves,
    Jeff

clint64, brit and McCrae like this.
  9. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

22 August 2019

* Charcoal Goods Level 3 SB + Stork Ex Brass
    * Wizamet Iridium Super
    * Shavemac D01 2-Band + Doug Korn Faux Vintage Ivory C7
    * Mystic Water Bay Rum
    * Unrefined Shea Butter
    * Bergamot/Vetiver EO

[​IMG]

10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Adjustable Arko August!!

August 21

Razor - Soviet "Ideal" (Super Adjustable Clone) (9)
    Blade - [​IMG] (1)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Semogue 620
    Post - Alum

Back to the Russian side of adjustables for a few shaves. The Soviet "Ideal" is normally seen as a clone of the Gillette Super Adjustable. The Consul, which I used earlier this month, is seen as a clone of the Slim. According to one of my sources in Russia they are "the same razor made in two different factories". I disagree with him. The wide open 9 gap is still a beast like the Consul and much more aggressive than a Gillette, but the handle design, weight, quality of the materials and head geometry are all different between the two Russians. This razor feels cheaper, lighter and the blade is more obvious due to the angle of the head. Suffice it to say I like both, but this one is probably less like a Gillette than the Consul. If this is "the same" razor made in two different factories it proves the theory that Soviet (Russian) engineering and manufacturing standards SUCK!

Fresh Voskhod to get the whole Russian thing going and the Semogue 620 to remind me how good the 1305 will be in a few more shaves. Plenty of Arko and three passes and it's a done deal with a great shave. Have a great Thursday!

[​IMG]

11. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

:thanks:

clint64 and brit like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

cool shave sir..

clint64 and McCrae like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

awesome sir..

clint64 and 120inna55 like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

lovely shave and pic ..

clint64 and celestino like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

cool shave sir..:)

clint64 and Zed117 like this.
  16. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

Wednesday SOTN

Got home too late to shave last night, so I repeated the Gem Bullet tip with the Gem SS blade tonight. Wonderful sandalwood scented Proraso Red lather resulted in a very close and comfortable 2.5 pass shave before bed. My face both feels and smells great. Happy Thursday all!

Josh

[​IMG]

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

17. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Perfumed by:
    Douglas Smythe
    [​IMG]

Shampoo - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements/Crown King - Atomic Age Bay Rum Puck
    Bath Soap - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements/Crown King - Atomic Age Bay Rum Bar
    [​IMG]
    Razor - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - Double Open Comb Ascension (316L Stainless Steel Adjustable) (Fully Screwed Down)
    Blade - [​IMG] *5th Shave
    Shave Brush - 20mm GBS Synthetic 3rd generation
    Shave Soap - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements/Crown King - Atomic Age Bay Rum *CK-6 Formula
    Post-Shave Balm - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements/Crown King - Atomic Age Bay Rum
    Deodorant - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements/Crown King - Atomic Age Bay Rum
    Fragrance/Aftershave - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements/Crown King - Atomic Age Bay Rum in Stoneware Jug
    Scuttle - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Moonscape Scuttle

I seem to have a nose for this Bay Rum in recent months. Will be telecommuting from home and this is a great 'comfort scent' for home.

***EDIT - The shave this morning was fantastic. BBS. 2-pass + clean up. Super gentle razor now that I know what I'm doing with it and the BiC CP is a perfect blade for it. And the CK-6, man, calling it a "high-butter" soap is an understatement. After I shave with this soap I feel like I need to have my cholesterol checked it's so buttery rich. I don't over-water it even though the soap can take on a ton of water. I think the greatness in this soap is in the richness. It is able to be really slick while being rich and protective when dialed in right.

Really enjoyed the shave and I love this scent.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  18. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Nice setup! I used the Acqua di Parma shave cream last week for the first time. No pre-shave stuff, just went to the soap. It performed well. Seemed like a top-notch commercial cream. It doesn't have the artisan vibe, though it seems the designer tried but artisan ingredients have a kind of scent and feel that the big commercial corporate stuff doesn't. Both work just as effectively regardless. I was a bit disappointed how the container is large looking but holds only a small amount of actual shave cream. I like the way the container looks. It costs a premium 'sometimes' to get a great looking setup.

19. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Razor: Iwasaki 50
    Brush: Razorock Chubby Extra Silvertip
    Soap: Mike’s Natural Barber Shop
    A/S: Floid Amber
    6BE0574F-D113-49E5-84D3-817D9C1FD0D6.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

20. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

SOTD:
    A beautiful shave this morning with the Gillette aristocrat and bundubeard coffee! I know I've said this before, but as soon as all my soaps are finished, i wont buy international ones anymore with the exception being arko, because bundubeard is that good! It whips up the creamiest lather with the second best slickness ive ever used and overall its just an absolutely unbeatable soap at an unbeatable price.
    We're really lucky to have this stuff in SA for sure!

Razor: Gillette aristocrat 1948 barber pole
    Blade: voshkod (5)
    Brush: Wilkinson sword classic shave
    Soap: bundubeard coffee 250g puck in bundubeard bowl.
    Aftershave balm: prep[​IMG]

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.