Greetings from the Ol' North State

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by S Barnhardt, Aug 22, 2019.

1. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

Good Morning,

Or afternoon, or evening, or night.......depends on what time of day you read this!

I'm not a newbie to shaving, per se, but haven't had to shave other than a random touch up to a beard with an electric razor for something like 7 years, give or take. Why you say? I've been doing the "real bearded Santa" thing, but have decided to take a sabattical from that for knee issues. So, I've maintained a goatee and will now have to "shave" again. I'm trying to decide what I want to buy to use. Learned on the OLD Gillette safety razors, but am not steady enough to use them now. So, am looking at, and leaning toward, Harry's, but am not sold totally on that yet. Am open to serious suggestions, so if you have any, I'm open to listening to you!

Thanks for your time!

S. "Barney" Barnhardt
    North Carolina aka the "Ol' North State"

Keithmax, steve207, dmshaver and 6 others like this.
  2. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Welcome, Barney, from southeastern PA! I’m a long time DE shaver, and somewhat new to this forum myself. I don’t have any cartridge shaving experience and thus can’t speak knowledgeably about Harry’s razor, but there is a wealth of know-how available here, and I’m sure others can. I think you’ll find DE shaving to be more cost-effective than cartridge shaving, and much less prone to causing ingrown hairs. I can recommend the old Schick Krona razor. You can find them on eBay for less than $20. My original lasted almost 50 yrs. In any case welcome!

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

S Barnhardt and RyX like this.
  3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Barney, welcome to The Shave Den! I'm glad you're here with us.

You'll get plenty of ideas on shave gear options from the good folks here. If you're sure DE razors aren't your thing, then I'd suggest picking up a Trac II handle and blades in bulk on Amazon. While you're there, grab an Omega boar shaving brush and a puck of Tabac shave soap. You'll be set for some mighty fine shaves.

Drop by the 30 Day Rule / Focus thread, and we'll be glad to walk alongside you on your shaving journey. Don't let the 30 Day title fool you. Some of us have been there for a few years. Maybe we can even help you get started with a DE razor. Of course, you'll have to put up with some shenanigans. I'm sure you already know since we're all on your naughty list. :)

1.jpg

Have fun!

4. S Barnhardt

My referring to a DE razor/shaver, do you mean German?

wristwatchb likes this.
  5. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

No, he means a razor that uses a double edged (DE) blade. For example, a Gillette or Wilkinson Sword double edged blade in a Gillette Adjustable or Schick Krona razor.

Enjoy your shaves.

Jeff

wristwatchb and S Barnhardt like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD Barney @S Barnhardt! Glad you've joined us. Q & A is the easy part of what we do here. There are no stupid Q's, only the ones not asked. With our deep database and active members someone having specific knowledge will be along to offer opinions, advice, even actual information.
    I'm not a Harry's subscriber - I think that's how their service works. You swipe the card and get monthly packages of what ever they are mailing out that month. We have gone a different route - freedom of choice. If you have a favorite cologne there a good chance someone makes a shave soap or cream in the same scent. Most soaps have a matching aftershave lotion or balm, too. Why shave soap? It's not just a bar of soap. Many made with tallow (animal fat) the old fashioned way. If you are Vegetarian or Vegan that's a viable option, too. Face friendly additives like glycerine, shea butter, aloe, and others can be sought and found easily. Those products sink or swim on the support of communities like TSD. As a New Wet Shaver if you see a product in someone's Shave of the Day (SOTD) photo - ask them about it! Most of us use a brush to agitate and mix soap and water to make lather. Those brushes have different types of bristles and handle options are only limited by your imagination. If you don't want to wait many stores sell Barbasol shave cream in a can. It works & I know since I use it occasionally. Your choice of razor (Not what ever Harry's decides to send) is just that - see something interesting , ask! Most guys don't jump straight in to straight razors ( I did). Double edge options run from early 1900's to new designs still in development, Same for SE's. If cartridges are your choice we have a forum dedicated to discussion. We don't really talk about electrics much, but it's your shave and we want you to enjoy it your way.

wristwatchb and jgreenepa like this.
  7. S Barnhardt

Thanks for your response. My experience with Harry's is limited to what I've seen in the last day, or so. But it doesn't appear to be a whatever they send thing. Not now anyway. Could have been in the past, though. I don't know. Now, you pick what you want and whether or nto you want it "autoshipped" or one time.

I've done the soap and brush thing in the past and don't have an issue with it other than the extra time, which isn't much, to go that route. Not against it again, especially if I could find a soap I really liked. So, suggestions are always welcome

wristwatchb likes this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Do you have a cologne of choice, or a top 3? By the end of the day someone will suggest a matching soap or I can share how I took a vintage soap and added my scent of choice.
    That's something anyone can do in the comfort of your own kitchen, or if your Significant Other forbids science experiments there, out in the garage or man cave. Most soap makers offer their products in an unscented option. Using a cheese grater shred the product into your intended dish of choice. Thrift or antique stores have covered sugar bowls for cheap. Drop the shreds in, add very hot water and a healthy dose of your favorite cologne, or essential oils (try health food stores), stir. Let it set uncovered for long enough to firm up. Enjoy your custom shave soap!

wristwatchb likes this.
  9. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Welcome, from Greensboro!

10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas..

11. wristwatchb

Double Edge razor...like the old Gillette razors. I apologize for throwing out acronyms.

12. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Welcome from Alabama the Heart of Dixie. Glad you joined up!

13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

14. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..

15. S Barnhardt

I realize I'm likely to be going against some of the "old style" folks here, but I went ahead and ordered myself a "trial" set up from Harry's yesterday.

I have all the respect in the world for a straight razor and the old style DE (see I learned what that meant) razors, but my hands shake too much for a straight razor and I seem to remember "knicking" myself a lot with my old Gillette DE "back in the day." So, the cartridges from Harry's it is, at least for now, and we shall see what transpires!

Standing by, listening, and enjoying things! I remain............

S "Barney" Barnhardt
    in NC

wristwatchb and brit like this.
  16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Welcome Barney, from Hendersonville, North Cackalacky. We are just glad to have you join us here. I too had a beard for years because I hated to shave. I used carts to shave my neck and trim the cheek area. In 2012, I got fed up with the prices and bought me a Gillette Aristocrat from an antique mall. I have been traditional wet shaving ever since. I do it all, DE, SE, injectors, straights, (I have over 100 razors of all types). I am 71, soon to be 72, and I thank the Good Lord that I can still shave myself. Enjoy your stay here, and if you are ever in the Hendersonville area, I would be proud to meet you.
    hightheir2.gif
    zwelcome1a.jpg

17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  18. wristwatchb

Sounds like a great plan to me. Keep us posted! :)

19. S Barnhardt

Will do, thanks! Haven't been to Hendersonville in years. My parents, passed now, used to live in the Skyland/Arden/Fletcher area. First at Mills River, then across I26 from the Asheville airport and last in the residential section of Lutheridge in Arden, where my Dad worked maintenance after he "retired." Beautiful country!

Jayaruh likes this.
  20. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello and welcome!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

S Barnhardt likes this.