Boards question

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by jgreenepa, Aug 22, 2019.

1. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I'm a total newbie to the entire shaving community, despite having shaved for many years. This forum is a very special place with a warm, supportive helpful membership. I don't know if this is the case elsewhere. B&B is huge and a great source of information on the history of wet shaving, collecting, but I have not found it to be very welcoming, well, at least not to me. The Shave Nook and ATG both seem like decent places, but as I said earlier, I have very little experience with these forums. What's your experience been with these other three forums. How would you characterize your experience with them, and how would you summarize their strengths and areas of challenge? This is more a question to help me get better acquainted with the various shave communities. I thank you in advance for your responses.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

RyX, Bama Samurai, brit and 3 others like this.
  2. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

I belong to a few shave forums, they all have things I like and dislike. This forum (TSD) have many things I like and enjoy, but nothing I dislike. You and me found a winner.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

RyX, brit, Weasel640 and 3 others like this.
  3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Welcome Jeff. Good group of folks here willing to be supportive and help.

What is your preference for razors?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  4. jgreenepa

Thanks, Stuart, I agree. Do you spend much time on any of the other forums? If so, which and why? Remember, I'm very new to this community. Thanks!

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

brit and Hembree like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Jeff ( AKA @jgreenepa ), I've been and currently am a member of two of the other boards you mentioned. While one was very informative; it reminded me of crossing the Fire Swamp

That said I still peek in there periodically.

The other one though very nice and the people also nice; doesn't get the activity I desire.

:eatdrink013:

brit, Weasel640, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.
  6. jgreenepa

Chuck:
    Well I've been shaving with a Schick Krona I purchased for $1.49 in 1969 at the PX. It lasted 50 yrs, and just a few weeks ago gave up the ghost! I had to pay 10X the original price for its replacement on Ebay. ;) I recently bought a Karve brass razor which came with an E plate, which I can use, but is a bit too aggressive for me. I'm hoping that will become my daily razor. I'm awaiting delivery from Karve on a SB-B plate and an OC-B plate. Hopefully, I'll see them after Chris begins delivery of his stainless razor. So I am continuing with my Krona, which I use for my face and dome. I did buy three AC razors for my three sons (not the TV show). They are: 1: Oren 2: RR Green Hawk V2 3: The Enoch. Their birthdays are coming up, and they all belong to these shaving communities, although two of them spend all their time at ATG and the other at B&B. They asked for AC razors, so I delivered. Hope that addressed your question.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

brit, wristwatchb and Hembree like this.
  7. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I am only a member of this forum. Great group and I enjoy it here.

8. basil

basil Well-Known Member

Shave den was the first forum I joined. Then went on to srp and b&b and coticule.be.

Still like coming back here for the information and welcoming atmosphere. I found the bigger forums a bit more informative when needed specific straight razor help.

9. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

TSD is the only shaving forum I frequent. Great place and welcoming atmosphere. Looked at a couple of the others but never joined. Didn't like the vibe.

10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am a member of 6 fora. TSD, The Shave Nook, Damn Fine Shave, Sharp Razor Palace, Straight Razor Place and Badger & Blade.
    I spend most of my time here, although I have made wonderful acquaintances here, at DFS and TSN.
    I invest most of my time here and this is where I feel most "at home".
    TSN and DFS have more extensive B/S/T threads, so that's another reason I may visit them.

11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Visited all the forums my first day many years ago. Came here the second day and never left again. :)

12. brit

brit in a box

this was my first and still is my "home'forum..i am on a couple of others but i frequent them rarely, mostly when everyone one here is asleep i stay up late sometimes all night between naps.."against the grain" is a british forum i checked out recently because well i am a brit who lives in canada.seeing if i miss england or not.."not",70s england is long gone....i like posting my shaves mostly..i post on dfs rarely and on the shaving cadre.i also just checking stuff out as they say.as far as friendly,helpful,and fun,TSD is my go to..b and b has some great vintage gillette info but i don't go on forums to shop.i bump into others who are on a couple of forums and thats cool.broadens my horizons a little..i also do little else these days but work so this is my hang out per se..cheers everyone..

13. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

I am also on Badger and Blade, mainly because it's a good resource for searching up info on more obscure products. People there can tend to get argumentative over very small things and it doesn't really have a community feel like here - just a bunch of random people posting.

brit and jgreenepa like this.
  14. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

This is a great place, as are the other forums. Forums tend to be what you make of them. Forums will offer a great deal of information, some more than others. You get a great opportunity, on any forum, to take that to a deeper level by contributing. Whether the contribution is based on a collaborative effort or self-driven, it makes a difference. Simply look at this recent thread. This one should last, grow, and continue to develop. It began as a self-driven endeavor, not fed by shouts and cheers, but by a desire to share information and add depth to the resources here.
    My philosophy is to like them and recognize them for what they are and not crush them for what they are not. If I can't support them for their strengths and the weaknesses are overwhelming, I'm not usually a part of them.

15. basil

basil Well-Known Member

B/s/t you say??? Haha I might have to join those then to see about the straights. Unless people aren’t into straights in those forums

brit, Primotenore and jgreenepa like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Quite a few straight users.

17. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I was a long-time active member over at Barnyards & Bookends (names changed to protect the innocent) and there is a ton of info over there, to be sure. But, as they evolved, they became very unwelcoming of 1) anything not deemed a "serious post" and 2) anything not in accord with their idea of accepted opinion. So, I moved on, came here and found the best forum of all. There are a number of us here who have had the same or similar experience.

The only other forum I belong to is shavingsociety.com which is a Dutch-language board and not super active. But, I'm a member there more to practice Dutch than to discuss shaving, etc.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Enrico, brit, 178-bplatoon and 3 others like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Glad you found us!

brit and Enrico like this.
  19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The keys to making a forum great:

A great owner @Queen of Blades with a vision of community.

Remember-- were all fact ignorant newbies at some point. Answering the question for the 499th time takes just as much effort as scolding for not searching.

Clear rules and equitable application of the rules.

Don't try to tell @Primotenore that synthetics are the best. (it's an in-joke that actually makes fun of me.)

It's shaving, it can't be objectively evaluated in any meaningful sense. There are few absolutes.

Stealth assassin mods who will rain on a flame war before you even know it started. Seem something that's trouble, report it and it will be handled before it divides us.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Terry, wristwatchb, RyX and 2 others like this.
  20. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Hear hear! :eatdrink047:

brit and Edison Carter like this.