Soapy Bathman closing down shop

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by ghostlife, Aug 29, 2019.

1. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

Jonathan from Stone Field Shave has a blogpost on his website that says Soapy Bathman is shutting down business. I haven't tried their products but I know they have lots of fans. Last chance ever to stock up on their soap if you want any. Not sure which other vendors sell them, but their own website was down when I checked just now.

brit likes this.
  2. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

Another one......

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  3. jaxstraww

Looks like Olympia West closed as well.

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    75% of restaurants close in their first year too. Tough market, the shaving industry.

brit likes this.
  5. Jesseix

Jesseix Active Member

For some reason I thought Soapy Bathman had closed a while ago...

brit likes this.
  6. Jesseix

Jesseix Active Member

Very true, although with Olympia West and Mickey Lee it seems like their closings are a result of the artisans focusing more on their main careers, not so much not being viable anymore. I think both of those guys have successful careers as their main priority... don’t know anything about Soapy Bathman to know if that’s the case there as well.

brit likes this.
  7. jaxstraww

My take is that the dwindling markets and glut of used gear as well as the dozens of new soapers the small hobby soapers of the last 5 years are finding it tough to maintain steam.

In lieu of a Reddit fight noone says you have to be in the red to say that it isn't as profitable as it one was. No matter how much of a labor of love a business is you have to decide if the hours invested is actually worth it and from I have read for the last few closings it isn't.

For me the arguments have been the current market has nothing to do with closings but in actuality they do. True, you don't have to the red but I can't belive that tier 2 and tier 3 soapers especially those without frags or other products to sell find allot of reason to make batches right now.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    ghostlife and brit like this.