DE Razor For My Wife's Legs

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by richdad, Sep 6, 2019.

1. richdad

richdad Active Member

Women; Guys whose wives, gfs sisters moms whatever shave with DEs and esteemed forum members -what can you recommend for a razor that is fairly idiot proof (she's not a shaving enthusiast) but works. I know my tech I used to have was a little too much. Perhaps something milder but nothing comes to mind. At the same time it needs to cut hair.

brit, RyX and lightcs1776 like this.
  2. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

I think that ladies are best left to cartridges unless they come looking for a DE themselves.

That said, i let my ladies use my Ming Future copy. I set it low for them and they seem happy enough to use it when they have nothing else. It is quite a mild razor on the low setting and it has a bit of length in it for the legs.

brit and RyX like this.
  3. richdad

richdad Active Member

Thanks for that suggestion! What do you think about a Gillette slim? People here have said changing the blade on the ming shi can be dicey.

brit and RyX like this.
  4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

There are some great choices out there for ladies. I started both my wife and my daughter out with a Parker 29L (long handle). They both liked it and my daughter still uses it. I obtained a long handled Super Adjustable for my wife that she really liked. However, at the recommended times from some ladies on another forum, I picked up a Lady Gillette in blue and my wife is absolutely thrilled with it. It is easy for her to use and she is very satisfied with how it leaves her legs smooth. She uses it with a large synthetic brush (Sterling Kong) and various Stirling shave soaps. She has tried other soaps, but likes a stronger scent.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

brit and RyX like this.
  5. BambulanceMan

BambulanceMan Well-Known Member

My wife loves my gem 1914

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brit, ordinaryshaver and RyX like this.
  6. BlueShaver

Slim is a bad choice i think. Adjustable just confuse non de shavers. Its also expensive, old and short. Ladies like a bit of length and girth in their hands...

Parker do a pink long handled 3 piece (#29?) as do Merkur (#15?)

Much better.

brit and RyX like this.
  7. richdad

richdad Active Member

Appreciate all the suggestions. Anything milder than a tech?

RyX likes this.
  8. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

My daughter uses and likes the lady Gillette I bought for her years ago. Also the Schick Krona is a good choice. Other than the bland black color it's a nice shaver with a longer handle and is mild mannered.

Attached Files:

RyX and lightcs1776 like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

The Chinese Merkur Futur clone, either Ming Shi 2000s or Q-Shave, has marks on the top of the base plate (A), and a bump on the end of the cap(B). They go opposite to each other for proper blade alignment.
    Cap alignment.gif
    It is a bit of a balancing act to install a fresh blade, but worth the effort. I like mine wide open because I ride the cap and enjoy blade feel.

Another type? Schick Type J. Long handle and similar form to a cart. No lube strips or self leveling head so there's a little bit of learning curve. The thicker blades seem to give longer service than DE blades.
    Schick toye J1.gif
    The Lady Schick Hydro-Magic variation allows a lever action to rinse out stubble but retains the blade.
    Lady Schick Hydro Magic.gif

AGHisBBS likes this.
  10. richdad

richdad Active Member

Those schicks look cool. Are they mild?

11. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Merkur 23c long handle
    Derby blades

tp

12. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Why don’t you shave your wife lovely bare legs, that way she knows how much you care about her.

RyX likes this.
  13. BlueShaver

I do that (and more :ashamed001: ).
    It is quite, dare i say, romantic? Certainly, it is an act of trust and bonding.

:sexe:

RyX likes this.
  14. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

I know of two friends, who's wives use this safety razor and love it!

Feather "Popular" Double-Edge Razor - about $20

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  15. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Lancre, RyX and BlueShaver like this.
  16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

My GF likes both the Gillette Lady Starburst and Lady Eversharp (K3) razors. She rotates them as they both do great jobs.

17. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

You might want to check out the new wilkinsons sword razor, the metal one, I picked one up on Amazon for $15, it has a longer handle which most women prefers, and it's very mild but effective. Or like others have said, a vintage lady gillette.

18. RyX

RyX DoH!

The "type" designation is from us wet shavers separating them into groups by the age and differences in engineering. Earliest - Type A tend to be most aggressive, least forgiving. There's a much milder shave by Type G.

I'm away from my Command Center (laptop) - does anyone have the link to that Schick Types page?

Try googling "Schick The Hussy". Seriously, it's a Type H & some Ladies (and men) like them!

Tapatalk Spam Tag

19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My first DE was the Parker 29L. I moved on to adjustable s including the long-handled Black Beauty and the Ming Shih.

20. brit

brit in a box

:D

BlueShaver likes this.