Looking for an honest leather scent AS??

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by S Barnhardt, Aug 30, 2019.

1. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

I recently bought a new shave soap from a local handmade, small batch soap and fragrance shop. It's what they call "The Cowboy." It's a pure, unadulterated leather scent reminiscent of freshly made harness for horses. I guess that's to fit in with the name of it. I'd like to find an AS that has a leather scent that's as honest, pure, and unadulterated as this shave soap is. I've reached out to the shop, but haven't heard back from them. I've searched here on TSD and have tried Try That Soap. There are way too many "leather" scents there for me to make a good choice, so I"m asking you folks who, I hope, can point me in the direction of what I'm trying to find without randomly trying things with the hope something turns up.

What/Where do you think I should be headed with this?

Thanks!

RyX, brit, Paul Turner and 2 others like this.
  2. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

To me, Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve has a good leather scent. One of my favorites.

RyX, brit, Paul Turner and 2 others like this.
  3. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

+1 on the Clubman Special Reserve; I’d also recommend Abbate Y La Mantia Buttero. That smells like fine Italian leather.

RyX, brit, GatorJoe and 1 other person like this.
  4. S Barnhardt

I searched Amazon for this and there seems to be 2 different Pinaud Cluibman Special Reserve Aftershave Colognes. One in a darker bottle with what looks to be a dark/brown and yellow label at 16 and change and another with a clear bottle and a red and yellow label at 8 and change. Probably a different/richer formulation in the darker bottle? Which do you use?

RyX and brit like this.
  5. S Barnhardt

That Abbate Y La Mantia Buttero AS looks intriquing!

brit and Angelo85 like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Clubman Special Reserve certainly qualifies, but I just received my order from Central Texas Soaps today- which included their aftershave called "Weekend Rodeo". Their description of it was something like "Just straightforward leather". It is indeed, as I gave it a few sniffs. Should be great in cold weather.

RyX, brit, GatorJoe and 1 other person like this.
  7. Paul Turner

You can get it at Clubman's website too....clubmanonline.com

RyX, brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  8. GatorJoe

Here it is, next to the Karve razor I received today.

Attached Files:

RyX, brit, S Barnhardt and 1 other person like this.
  9. S Barnhardt

I"ve got some of the Special Reserve coming from a seller on Amazon. Not a Prime, fast shipping, item, but it'll be here when it gets here, I guess.

Thanks for everyone's advice!

10. Paul Turner

I have about 1/4 left of mine.....might need to refill later in the year or early next.

RyX and S Barnhardt like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

noble otter's flying hide is a good leather scent..

RyX, S Barnhardt and Paul Turner like this.
  12. Paul Turner

So I've been hearing(and reading).

brit likes this.
  13. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

It is a blend but a really good, dark leather scent. In the fall Barrister and Mann issues out an Aftershave and Soap combo set called Leviathan. It is a blend of Russian Leather, Coffee, Sandalwood, Cedar. But it is probably on of the best Leather blends out the that you can get. Once they issue it out Maggards will carry samples.

Also, it will be a hunt as they no longer make it. But the English Leather that was made by MEM Company is a good leather scent. It was later taken over by Dana, and the scent change, don't get that stuff.

S Barnhardt and Angelo85 like this.
  14. S Barnhardt

Well, my Clubman Special Reserve came in the mail today! Other than opening it and rubbing a small dot on the back of my hand, I haven't used it yet. I shaved this morning using Aqua Velva Musk, so a full on use would probably be a mixture from down below. I'll reserve my critical judgment for later.
    IMG_20190907_151406192.jpg

Zykris, GatorJoe, brit and 2 others like this.
  15. GatorJoe

Please do comment. I’ve used mine several times this week including this evening. One of my favorite after shaves.

brit likes this.
  16. Hammer8

Hammer8 Well-Known Member

Ariana and Evans Tertius is all leather to me.

brit likes this.
  17. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I just got mine a few days ago. The smell is powerful in the bottle but mild to moderate once applied. Nice scent. Mildly leathery to my nose with some others. Not the greatest on scent notes. But pleasant!

brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Wearing it today. Veddy veddy nice.

Zykris, S Barnhardt and brit like this.
  19. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

Stirling Gentleman is a truly wonderful scent that reminds me of leather even thought the website notes no leather: “A warm and masculine blend of tobacco, Amber, vanilla, and musk.”

Bet it would rock with Cowboy though.

S Barnhardt, Paul Turner and brit like this.
  20. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

If you can find the vintage Avon "Leather" scent that's a good one also.

Angelo85 and brit like this.