September 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Aug 30, 2019.

?

It's Stirling SEptember. Whatcha got planned??

1. Gonna use some great vintage single edge gear and lots and lots of Stirling. Duh!!

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. Gonna use a modern single edge or two and lots and lots of Stirling. Duh!!

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. Gonna mix it up with all kinds of single edges and lots and lots of Stirling. Duh!!

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. Gonna use whatever I feel like because hey, it's my shave so I'll enjoy it my way!! Duh!!

21 vote(s)
    51.2%
  5. Straights baby, because I'm just that doggone good. Duh!!

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  6. Some SE's, some DE's, some other stuff, maybe Stirling, maybe not. Who knows?! Duh!!

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  7. Cookies and ice cream. That's all I'm here for. Stop hounding me to shave!!!!! Duh!!

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brit

brit in a box

cool shave Neal

Hembree, Linuxguile, RyX and 5 others like this.
  2. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

SOTD:
    This month my shave of the days are going to stay more or less the same or at least very similar.

I've decided that every shave will be using my bundubeard coffee puck, man this stuff is absolutely remarkable. Its definitely my best lathering soap for sure, very very good stuff. Super slick too, and a 250g puck will last me forever!

Razor: 1948 Gillette aristocrat
    Blade: Gillette sharp edge (4)
    Brush: Wilkinson sword classic
    Soap: bundubeard coffee 250g
    Aftershave Balm: prep[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

Hembree, Linuxguile, McCrae and 12 others like this.
  3. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Thank you Gary.
    Very nice setup Neal. Wish it was still warm here.

Hembree, Linuxguile, RyX and 6 others like this.
  4. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Good stuff Matt!

5. brit

brit in a box

cool shave sir..

6. orientshave

orientshave Well-Known Member

Green shave Day2

Sorry for the messy line up.

Enjoy your shaves gents [​IMG]

Hembree, Linuxguile, McCrae and 13 others like this.
  7. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Love the razor and soap. The brush, (boar) not so much. I had one and its one of the few shaving items i have binned. It knotted itself up in a dozen shaves and became useless.

Hembree, Linuxguile, RyX and 7 others like this.
  8. BlueShaver

22/30

As the soap-opera comes to a close, i thought i would change a few small things and see how it works. No soap pre-shave wash today. I am finding that my skin doesn't like it (i haven't used non shaving soap products for ages).
    Just a hot water rinse. (Boiler is working today woot!)

Same technique for loading the soap ( damp, unsoaked brush, circles only, sporadic drops of water) and sane result:- 3 passes easy of the brush. I also didn't thin the lather as much today.
    I adjusted my pass to a down/across (ear -> nose) up.

Results? A real lovely shave. No nicks, no irritation or fustration. No drama. Perhaps my nicest shave yet. I thought it was closer to a BBS than it was. As can happen, half an hour away from the mirror and its a DFS.

So, my thoughts are now turning to what is actually possible with this combo. I feel that the soap doesn't have that slickness on the residuals to really get into the buffing and pick ups but that the full lather has lots of cushion which buffers the blade from getting BBS. The 34c and Rapira are both mild and calm so perhaps a zinger of a BBS without uber buffing is not going to happen?

Won't stop me from trying though.

This is my last hurdle with this combo. A BBS.

8 shaves to go!

Hembree, Linuxguile, McCrae and 12 others like this.
  9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I go MIA for a few days and now I am more than 1,000 posts behind. Let me know what I missed.

There is a direct flight from Atlanta. I will pick you up at the airport and dinner is on me.... think about thick slab bacon an entree cooked at the table.

Hembree, Linuxguile, RyX and 9 others like this.
  10. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

It definitely has nothing on my omega 49, but because its a relatively new omega, it isnt quite worn in so i use it for face lathering and the Wilkinson sword for bowl lathering.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

Hembree, Linuxguile, RyX and 9 others like this.
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Time to catch up. I am still working on my 'what is sharp' semi-scientific test.... well maybe no so scientific test. This round I used Stirling Electric Sheep so at least the lather was consistent.

A 3/4 to near wedge 8/8 monster (Silverloaf), sadly this edge was a little long in the tooth and needs to see some pasted stops. So it is excluded or comparison of this round.

Next is a half hollow 6/8 western grind kami from Portland Razor Co. This is on the second shave since it saw the stones. The first two passes were very smooth, there was not a feeling of sharpness just buttery smoothness. The ATG test, this girl is sharp.

Fresh of the stones is 7/8 full hollow Wacker. The first two passes were smooth and it felt sharp. The blade doesn't flex but you can feel the difference between this and the half hollow PRC. ATG, wow she is sharp, I got this one right when I honed her.

Completing this round is a Cobra Classic with a Feather Pro. First two passes feel sharp and ATG test, yup sharp.

Clearly, the full hollow and Cobra Classic felt the sharpest on the first two passes, they give a sensation that they are about to flex even though they do not. From the half hollow to full hollow to the Cobra the sharpness was similar. I give a slight nod to the full hollow over the Cobra while the Cobra gets a slight nod over the half hollow.

Other than the 3/4 hollow which needs a refreshing all the razors delivered exceptional shaves.

IMG_7173.jpg
    IMG_7179.jpg
    IMG_7177.jpg
    IMG_7183.jpg

Hembree, RyX, Linuxguile and 13 others like this.
  12. BlueShaver

I used mine for face lathering and it did it in lol.

Hembree, RyX, Linuxguile and 7 others like this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thanks, Jim.

Hembree, Linuxguile, brit and 5 others like this.
  14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs001:

Hembree, Linuxguile, brit and 6 others like this.
  15. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Jon, veddy nice!

Hembree, RyX, Linuxguile and 6 others like this.
  16. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

As always, great shaves, pics and reports, Keith!

17. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

SEptember 10th
    Razor: H&S NO75 LE
    Blade: Derby Extra (1)
    Brush: SOC badger
    Pre-shave: Stirling Mentholated
    Soap: Stirling Gentleman
    Stirling mentholated witch hazel
    Stirling mentholated post shave balm
    AS: Stirling Gentleman

Tobacco Tuesday

Good morning!

Wonderful shave to start the day! Three passes for near BBS. Silent alum.

I decided to go from the Feather to a Derby Extra. I couldn't tell the difference. Just a smooth easy shave with either blade. The honeymoon continues with the H&S. [​IMG]

Hembree, RyX, Linuxguile and 12 others like this.
  18. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Tobac Tuesday, hope everyone is going to have a great day.
    Got out another fav of mine, the GEM Open Comb Micromatic. Started out rough, nicked myself first thing, wow, and ouch. Put glasses on, looked at the business part of the razor, blade not set correctly, just a tad off. Mental note, wear glasses when loading blade. The rest of the shave was great, 2 passes on the face, 2 passes on the head. Very smooth, very clean.
    As you can see, the others are waiting for their chance to catch me not paying attention. I still like my MMOC's.
    20190910_062242.jpg

With this brush, Tobac is a real winner, I splashed on some menthol for good measure.
    All
    Enjoy
    tp

Hembree, RyX, Linuxguile and 13 others like this.
  19. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

The OC is a favourite of mine too Terry. Very nice setup.

20. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Its a beauty Jim!

Hembree, RyX, Linuxguile and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.