What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Stirling Soap Single edge Stainless Steel Straight September

Extra fine shave today. Took plenty time to relax and enjoy the full monty. For a golfer, this would be that tee shot, long, sufficient height, slight draw, 250 yards, dead in the middle, no effort. Yup, that one that keeps you coming back for more just like it.

When I started, Proraso Preshave was part of my routine. These days I consider it a luxury. Great menthol eucalyptus. Just use a little bit at the very beginning. No better pre-shave in my book.

Used the Stirling Badger to whip up a smooth lather, just over to the sloshy side. The Blue Ming was there to help out. Like I first saw Glen do in one of his videos, I lathered up before stropping.

Stropped 15 on the denim, then 30 on the horsehide side of the Rasoir Sabre strop.

As I'd seen Glen do, I applied a hot terrycloth right on top of the lather, then relathered.

Have not used the stainless steel Dovo En Vogue with the ivory colored mycarta scales much. I'm not sure why. Maybe too much stuff. Delivered a very comfortable 3.5 pass shave. A hefty piece that handles great.

Nice tingle from the alum (another thing I don't use as much anymore). Left it on as I clean and dry my gear, then wash off. I found alum can be an irritant for me later in the day.

Proraso menthol aftershave is my favorite post shave. I use a very small amount regularly while I finish cleaning an a short easy stropping to make sure my edge is clean.

Finished up with the matching Stirling Tuscany. A gentle sweet, floral, powdery scent that would be considered a unisex fragrance. It would be objectionable to some on that point, but I got my 'man card' sufficiently punched up to use it.

Be well, have a great day gang!

[​IMG]

2. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Now that sounded like a top level experience Bill!

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Something about the RigaRazor's shape. It just looks tough, and cool. Very nice looking blade.

4. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

New to me Oryx. Haven’t done any research on the brand yet. Thuri finish from the seller, light stropping and go. I didn’t push it, one pass only to check it out.

B85222AC-9BCF-4D74-9474-E8505E4FC165.jpeg

Jayaruh, PatrickA51, Steve56 and 8 others like this.
  5. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Joseph Cam Sheffield Stubtail 1830s
    Strop Martin J. Rubin 4601 New York
    Muhle Fibre Silvertip XL
    Tabac Soap
    Tabac Aftershave Balm
    Aramis Tabacco Reserve Edp

6. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Two Pass Shaving Routine...[​IMG]

Hot Water prep & Massage with Argan Oil
    Puma 91 Solingen Full Hollow 6/8th
    Fitchard Pure Badger
    Valobra Tallow Soap
    Humphreys Witch Hazel

I Had a Belter of a Shave Today with My Puma Solingen 6/8th.Sporting a Very Keen Escher 17 K Thuri Edge..One of My 1st SRs & One of My Favorite Shavers..Wunderbar...:D

I Am Dolphin Smooth & Refreshed..:kar:

Billy..:chores016:

7. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

Put a new edge on my Zaliel Jassiano this morning. Passed the shave test with flying colors. Now I should figure out how to replace the missing third pin. I like this little guy.

6ADAF3D0-579B-4B65-B15D-1A5E82869DC6.jpeg

Jayaruh, PatrickA51, Steve56 and 10 others like this.
  8. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

6/8 Waterville

Had a fantastic shave with this Vintage US blade.Great steel that took a supreme edge.Removed two days of growth in no time.
    rps20190909_152229_263.jpg

9. DaltonGang

My first ever Puma Shave. It was for the French Market, and I bought it, from France. It was lightly restored, and honed today. I had a fantastic, and quiet 2 pass shave, that left me BBS. Fabulous razor. Now I know what all the hype on these is about.

Razor- Puma "69". 11/16th inch. 1/4 Hollow. Puma Best Steel. Solingen Germany.
    Brush- Stirling Boar. One of the best feeling boars out there.
    Soap - "More For You". Turkey.
    Aftershave- Pinaud Clubman

P9091155.JPG

Jayaruh, PatrickA51, Steve56 and 10 others like this.
  10. M14Shooter

Nice restore on the Puma .

11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Love those Riga Razors.

The En Vogue is just one cool looking razor.

12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Been busy so time to catch up:

PRC Chimera "blued'
    IMG_7179.jpg

Wacker Huntsman
    IMG_7177.jpg

Silverloaf IMG_7173.jpg

Jayaruh, Tanuki, PatrickA51 and 10 others like this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Dubl Duck Goldedge
    [​IMG]

Jayaruh, Tanuki, PatrickA51 and 10 others like this.
  14. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

First I recall seeing this one.
    It looks like a frameback construction.
    What can you tell us?
    Thx.

15. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

upload_2019-9-10_10-20-42.jpeg
    5/8 Dorko

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Jayaruh, Tanuki, PatrickA51 and 7 others like this.
  16. Steveclarkus

Steveclarkus Well-Known Member

I really love Puma. I have a 4/8 that shaves beautifully and have a 9/16 being restored. I will get a 5/8 next.

17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

F2AC8CB2-8381-4B9D-A3ED-C1B9340D2EDA.jpeg

Tested two that I bevel set yesterday and finished this morning. The Brandt is still just a touch unstraight at the heel, and can ‘see’ it slightly with HHT but it shaved like gangbusters. The Brandt is a ‘rescue razor’ that had been abused, details in the honing thread. The Hewlett & Sachs honed up pretty normally and shaved very well.

Cream was Ach Brito Lavanda, which along with Musgo Real and one of the Vitos, is one of the few creams with lanolin, if that floats your boat. Lathering duty was given to a Rooney 1/3 Silvertip which is breaking in nicely, and I thought the lanolin might help. A splash of Agua Balsamica finished up.

Jayaruh, PatrickA51, brit and 8 others like this.
  18. M14Shooter

6/8 The Washington Razor W.M. Greaves Sheaf Work Made between 1823-1826

Had a lovely shave with this Sheffield Old Lady .Edge was very smooth .I finished her on a Escher .Was nearly BBS in two passes .What I love about this blade is its weight and great balance.I would call the blade a near wedge .What is really cool about this razor is the very fine double jimps.I usually do not find razor with jimps this early in the 1800's .
    rps20190910_112518_943.jpg

Jayaruh, Tanuki, PatrickA51 and 9 others like this.
  19. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

20. DaltonGang

Perfect shave today, from a Newly Acquired, Restored, and Honed, German razor. Glass smooth 2 pass shave, that left me BDBS. Wonderfully made razor, from the past. I like the slight smile on the spine, and edge. Makes it very comfortable, especially on the neck.

Razor- H.Boker & Co. Germany. Extra Hollow Ground.
    Brush- Stirling Boar
    Soap- "More For You", Turkey.
    Aftershave- Vintage Avon Spicy. Willys Jeep Decanter.

P9101157.JPG

Jayaruh, Tanuki, PatrickA51 and 9 others like this.